Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need advice..contacting corporate re: "soft landing"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need advice..contacting corporate re: "soft landing"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Often1

But, this is a zero-sum game. If there is only one UG on a given flight, the question becomes who gets it. You or me? If I met the qualifications for one level and you did not meet the qualifications for that level, yet are given preferential treatment, I lose and you win. I don't want that to happen.

It's not personal and I could care less that it is you. You will also have done nothing wrong. But, DL will have done something wrong and and to the extent that favoring you cements your loyalty and destroys mine, it can't be said that it comes at "no cost". Perhaps no cost to you, but a cost to DL and to me.
So what?

There is not one post in this thread which suggests that DL cannot award status or perhaps more importantly, hand out freebies, to any person it wishes to.

The question is whether DL ought to do it for this particular OP.

As with all aspects of program design, so long as I get taken care of, I could care less about the rest of the world.
What?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:16 pm

I just AA for an exception for my kid. She was $50 short. it was granted.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Priority boarding, better seats, priority for SDC/SDSB, even priority access to phone agents. Everything is zero-sum. If everybody is first to board then nobody is first to board. If everybody gets access to better trained, empowered, and shorter wait-time agents; then nobody does.
One, that is not the definition of zero sum. Two, it is simply not true.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So Shena is fine as long as every FC seat is occupied? Sorry, but I earned my upgrades which are a published program benefit. It's not OK if someone else who didn't earn the same priority as I did receives the upgrade instead. I don't care that the other person flew DL more in earlier years or whatever, the fact is that the hypothetical other person in this example did not earn his elite status tier according to DL's published requirements.
The entitlement is strong in you, but it is simply not justified.

DL makes no distinction for this "earned benefit" that you continue to refer to. That you don't care about the other person's flying behaviors _______ is on you. DL can do as they see fit, and nothing in the dogma of published requirements prohibits or suggests that they cannot make exceptions as they see fit.

So please stop saying that others are stealing from you, and please stop misusing the term zero-sum.

The correct term for you and Often 1 is "watered down."

If you want to complain that benefits are watered down, then I totally get you. Spend waivers= watered down is another great example (but it is still earned, nothing is ever stolen).

If half the plane, or, heck, the whole plane boards with Sky Priority or better that does not mean you did not get your benefit, it just means the benefit was not as valuable.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Ambassador
I agree with most of what you said. I am not so sure that “nothing is ever stolen,” however.

My philosophy is let DL do what they think is in their best interest - even if that means bending the rules or upgrading Shena - and let the pax decide whether to stay with DL or not. Competition is a beautiful thing.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by SamOF
There's absolutely nothing in the program terms that says that meeting the MQM/MQD/MQS thresholds is the sole way to qualify for status. DL gives out status plenty through corporate incentive programs—do you also object to that? This is no different. DL can give out status outside the normal qualification methods to incentivize purchasing behavior it wants to incentivize.
Great example!

DL routinely waives requirements when they're competing in specific markets, and we see it posted here regularly.

DL reward and recognize in all sorts of ways that are not published. They frequently provide benefits that they do not publish... Porsche rides 360 status, etc. and this regular practice is proof that the "stealing my benefits" arguments are logically inconsistent with known behaviors.

DL will dilute benefits and water down status as they see fit. Don't expect that sky miles will hold value either, right?
sky_priority likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erik123
I just AA for an exception for my kid. She was $50 short. it was granted.
DL has also done some "bump-up's" in recent years for those who have fallen just short of a status level. What seems quite a bit more rare these days are the "soft landings" that OP is requesting where you are well short of the status level you are requesting.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by Loadmaster
I respect your opinion, I won't try to change your mind or argue further; I propose a comprimise: Let's have this same discussion again around Jan of 2020
A bipartisan compromise. I like it. I've got my 3 MQD runs already booked, so I won't have to worry about a soft landing next year. LOL.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K//DL Plat//Bonvoy Plat
I was 293 MQM short of status one year...I asked for a courtesy bump...they said no. So I flew it. It is what it is. But I'd not complain if they had granted that 293 courtesy bump, and most anyone else wouldn't complain either. Can't blame the OP for considering it as an option.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davelikestofly
I was 293 MQM short of status one year...I asked for a courtesy bump...they said no. So I flew it. It is what it is. But I'd not complain if they had granted that 293 courtesy bump, and most anyone else wouldn't complain either. Can't blame the OP for considering it as an option.
Actually, some people here would complain. It's not unusual to stop short deliberately and try to maximize rollover.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:14 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Actually, some people here would complain. It's not unusual to stop short deliberately and try to maximize rollover.
I mean he specifically asked for the bump so it can safely be assumed he wasn't trying to maximize rollover.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by pvn
I mean he specifically asked for the bump so it can safely be assumed he wasn't trying to maximize rollover.
Exactly. This was what I was getting at and the intent of my post.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davelikestofly
The bump-up's that have occurred all seem to have been unsolicited. Requested bump-up's are generally going to lead to a pointer to the Elevate Your Status offer.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
The bump-up's that have occurred all seem to have been unsolicited. Requested bump-up's are generally going to lead to a pointer to the Elevate Your Status offer.
Yup. Exactly what happened with me. I decided flying it and getting the excess in rollover was much cheaper than the EYS. Made much more sense, and I got to drink a couple beers with a friend in SLC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.