Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL, Finding the Skytrain for Hotel & Returning TSA Checkpoints

Old Jan 3, 19, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire

I am going to be flying in to ATL and staying for an overnight connection at the ATL Marriott gateway, and I have some questions that I was not able to find answers to online, namely about specifically navigating the skytrain and airport.

Finding the Skytrain:
It seems like the skytrain is somewhere in the baggage claim level area. Can anyone advise more precisely what area or end of baggage claim the sky train station is located in? When getting off the plane train, which baggage claim area should you go to to access the skytrain most quickly? I'll likely be arriving in concourse C and going to the skytrain.

Returning to ATL, Security Checkpoints:
When taking the skytrain from gateway center to ATL, can anyone describe the general route you would take to get to TSA? Is there much advantage to going to TSA nnorth or south? I also have Clear and understand that is only in south. Does Clear save a lot of time at ATL? This will be on a Saturday morning.

Transit Time Getting to ATL:
The hotel claims it takes 2 minutes to get from the Marriott to ATL which seems optimistic. What do you think are the min and max times lets say from the hotel lobbey to a C gate? We want to be able to sleep in but don't want to miss our flight as the next one won't be for several hours. So what is the range of time it might take to navigate from the hotel in to the ATL gates?

Thank you!
Old Jan 3, 19, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
You get on the airside planetrain at concourse C and get off at the domestic baggage claim stop. From there follow the signs to the Airtrain.

In a Saturday it really shouldn't matter which checkpoint you use. It's the weekdays that tend to be clusters.
Old Jan 3, 19, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
When you land take the train to the Baggage Claim area, turn toward the DELTA baggage claim at the top of the escalator and follow the signs to Rental Car Center. You will take a right in front of the Delta baggage claim. You walk past the end of the baggage claim on the South (Delta) side. This is called the West end of the airport. Walk straight past the MARTA entrance and go outside to catch the Sky Train. It will say "Rental Car Center and GICC Gateway Hotels". That is the SkyTrain. You get off at the first stop for the Marriott instead of the second stop for the Rental Car Center.

The next day just reverse your steps. You will arrive inside the terminal building near baggage claim, so keep walking straight past all of the South Terminal baggage carousels. Then Delta ticketing and baggage check will be on your right, or main security (and the Clear with PreCheck) on your left across from the SkyPriority check-in. If you need to check in at another airline, you need to make a left at baggage claim to the North Terminal (which is really the other end of the same terminal)

After security, Concourse C is about 8 minutes on the train, max. On a Saturday AM, I will walk out of the hotel around 75 minutes before my flight, and I have time to visit SkyClub.

Last edited by FlyBitcoin; Jan 3, 19 at 7:36 pm
Old Jan 3, 19, 9:14 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
You have great instructions in the above post. The key is to keep following signs for rental car center until you're on the train.

Have you also considered the Renaissance Atlanta Gateway, which is also a Marriott property and is next door? It's very new (2017?) and quite nice when we were there a couple weeks ago.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 4, 19, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Renaissance Atlanta Gateway

Hi, I did not look in to this one as I'm not sure if it is as close to the sky train? I know people also talk about a Renaissance being good for plane spotting. I was basically just trying to find the closest hotel with the shortest time to and from ATL? Is this new Renaissance Atlanta Gateway also at the gateway stop on the sky train?

Frankly if the Minute Suites inside security has real beds I would just stay there but I don't think I could sleep comfortably overnight on the day beds and then I'm not sure Minute Suites have shower facilities.
Old Jan 4, 19, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you just want a hotel that's quick and close to ATL, without necessarily using the SkyTrain, the Hilton would work well, especially since I see that you're a Diamond. It has frequent free shuttle service.
Old Jan 4, 19, 10:53 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
I would not stay overnight at minute suites. No showers at ATL minute suites. You could use SkyClub on E or F if you have access but that seems like a hassle. Although for Super Bowl weekend, the Minute suites might make sense as all hotels have some crazy rates and none of the good ones are taking points reservations.

All three Marriott Gateway properties are on the first Sky Train stop. Marriott, Renaissance, and Spring Hill. All are new (under 5 years old). The Sky Train is the fastest hotel to airport link possible.

The Renaissance Concourse is the older property that is best for plane spotting. It sits directly along the runways near DL maintenance and the DL museum. You will need a shuttle bus to and from that one.

The Hilton is very nice as well.
Old Jan 4, 19, 11:08 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat
The good thing about the Skytrain is that you don't find yourself waiting for a shuttle van. I wouldn't pay more for the Renaissance or Hilton certainly if all I wanted was a quick night's stay.

And once you get to the Baggage Claim stop, you can really go either right or left, as long as you follow the signs for the Rental Cars/Sky Train
Old Jan 4, 19, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jetsetter View Post
I know people also talk about a Renaissance being good for plane spotting. I was basically just trying to find the closest hotel with the shortest time to and from ATL? Is this new Renaissance Atlanta Gateway also at the gateway stop on the sky train?
I believe the Ren that people have talked about for plane spotting is the Ren Concourse Atlanta Airport, not the Gateway.
Old Jan 4, 19, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
As someone who has stayed at all three properties multiple time, the Renaissance Gateway is by far the nicest of the three, but I typically will just stay at the cheapest one when I’m paying and if they are all reasonable, I’ll choose the Renaissance. The convinence to the SkyTrain is a dealbreaker as you just walk outside and go up an elevator and you are only 2 mins away from the terminal. No needing to wait forever for a shuttle or needing to worry about having cash for tipping. When I stay there, I can often wake up about 2 hours prior to my flight, have time to stop and eat breakfast for about 15mins, and be at the gate with enough time for a quick SC visit.
Ryno1234 and SoroSuub1 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: