Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta forcing passengers to check carry ons is this true?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

i came across an article earlier that said delta is forcing passengers to check carry ons at the gate . Is this true?

im on a flight from Orlando to Venice italy connecting at jfk and returning from Rome to Orlando connecting in Amsterdam. I plan to bring a carry on for the overhead bin a carry on that fits deltas 22x14x9 . And a smaller back pack for under my seat. But I’m wondering if my above question is true if so that would not be good.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL, just like AA, UA, and almost every other carrier in the world must sometimes gate-check carry on luggage because there is not enough room in the overhead bins or the seat in front of you to fit everything. Even on widebodies this is sometimes the case. It has been this way for many years, so this is nothing new.

While it is less likely on a larger aircraft and more likely on smaller regional jets, you always need to be prepared, particularly if you are in one of the later boarding groups.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
People among the last to board may be required to check carry-ons because bins are full. If the plane is booked toward capacity the gate agent will probably seek volunteers to gate check a bag for free - your bag will go to your final ticketed destination. All Delta fares - even Basic Economy - allow a carry-on and personal item.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:48 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Ettealvo
returning from Rome to Orlando connecting in Amsterdam
If you're flying KLM from Rome to Amsterdam, and you're flying in Coach, I believe KLM's official policy is, you're only allowed 1 carry-on unless you're SkyTeam Elite Plus. Then you can have a second carry-on. I've seen them enforce this a few times. They walk around the gate seating area. The gate agent once told me about it, and then she saw my boarding pass said SkyTeam Elite Plus on it. . . . . Or, maybe it's just SkyPriority.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
I think it depends on the GA.

Mrs BHammy and I were headed to SYD through ATL and LAX from CHA...two weeks after I had back surgery.
I had an earlier flight to check gear through customs in ATL (with carnet), wife was coming 3 hours later with a tighter connection (45 mins, I think)

We were both PMs at the time, got seat in the second row of C+ just inside boarding door, and FA closed bins above us knowing she was running late due to weather out of CHA. My wife ran to the gate, with a CabinOK sized bag (smaller than normal carry on) which had ice packs and such as well as feminine products for our 4 hour flight to LAX and then 14 hour flight to SYD.

But within 15 minutes of closing the doors, the GA flipped on her power trip mode: ALL FURTHER BAGS MUST BE CHECKED.
I could hear my wife and several other pax in the jetway pleading with her to carry on small bags. "NO - or you won't be flying" was her only reponse.

She hadn't checked with the FAs what so ever - she only wanted an online gate departure....ended up taking WAY longer arguing with pax, getting bag tags, fragile tags, etc... My wife ends up coming on board in tears having to carry her feminine products onboard by hand, with the FAs shocked at how the GA was treating the last few pax.

During flight, FA ended up apologizing for GA, gave my wife a selection of premium snax and bottle of wine.
Post flight complaint ended with stock response covering for staff.

That's been the worst of our flights - but when showing up 'late' (zone 3+) to the gate, I hear more and more about checking bags. They let us on, both the DM status now, but plenty of others are stuck putting their bags below to destination. YMMV.
jinglish and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by BHammy

She hadn't checked with the FAs what so ever - she only wanted an online gate departure....ended up taking WAY longer arguing with pax, getting bag tags, fragile tags, etc... My wife ends up coming on board in tears having to carry her feminine products onboard by hand, with the FAs shocked at how the GA was treating the last few.
The horror! I would ask for 200,000 points and a Tumi purse/backpack.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
There are lots of factors in play here.

Where airline is actually OPERATING the flight? It might not be Delta.
Also, where are you in the boarding process - any status, seat type, etc? Those that board later may be subject to issues.

You will find this does happen from time to time. We travel monthly and always assume our carryon might get checked. We can manage with another small underseat bag if we have to.

I will say that coming from Orlando, you have bad news - lots of families with crap from Disney.
The good news is that most have so much stuff they do not do as much carryon as frequent flyers that avoid checking bags.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

My seat is in row 11 from Orlando to jfk then row 27 from jfk to Venice.

on the way back the flight from Rome to Amsterdam is with Alitalia I have to check if Alitalia allows a carry on plus a personal item does anyone know by chance?

on the way back if I were to check bags when i connect in Amsterdam would i have to collect my bags and drop them off at the next flight?

Because I know if you connect in the USA from Europe you have to go through customs then collect bags and drop off at next flight then go through security but I am connecting in Amsterdam so would it be the same process as connecting in the us?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Also rows 11 and 27 where my seat is are just main economy. I believe row 27 is the the first row behind comfort plus
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Also rows 11 and 27 where my seat is are just main economy. I believe row 27 is the the first row behind comfort plus
Try to avoid the row behind Comfort+, The seat in C+ recline much more, and the row behind will not.
This mean you will have little space, the row behind the C+ is ALWAYS the worst row.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FBplatinum
Try to avoid the row behind Comfort+, The seat in C+ recline much more, and the row behind will not.
This mean you will have little space, the row behind the C+ is ALWAYS the worst row.
thats a good point I didn’t think of that . Does delta allow you to purchase priority boarding or something? So you can board a little sooner
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:06 pm

In my experience, the overhead bins are usually not full until you get to maybe the second half of the LAST boarding group.
Of course it all depends on the plane and size of the luggage people are putting up there.

It's really annoying when people put BOTH their carry on and personal item (briefcase, purse etc) in the overhead bin. These people are effectively taking up 1.5-2 spaces in the overhead bin therefore forcing more people to have to check in their carry ons. There are also people who put their huge overcoats up in the overhead bins even when the FAs specifically say not to.

I mean, can't we all be more considerate?
flatdawgs and DF136BRC like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL

thats a good point I didn’t think of that . Does delta allow you to purchase priority boarding or something? So you can board a little sooner
You are usually able to purchase “priority boarding”” as a trip extra in the app, which gives you zone 1 boarding. This is definitely not the first boarding group (premium cabin and sky priority, including all of C+ are in front of it) but could get you a better shot.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dlflyer00

You are usually able to purchase “priority boarding”” as a trip extra in the app, which gives you zone 1 boarding. This is definitely not the first boarding group (premium cabin and sky priority, including all of C+ are in front of it) but could get you a better shot.
yea I mean I’ll take zone 1 boarding better than a later group so I can hopefully have some overhead bin space. Any idea approx how much that priority boarding may run ?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dreamspeed
In my experience, the overhead bins are usually not full until you get to maybe the second half of the LAST boarding group.
Of course it all depends on the plane and size of the luggage people are putting up there.

It's really annoying when people put BOTH their carry on and personal item (briefcase, purse etc) in the overhead bin. These people are effectively taking up 1.5-2 spaces in the overhead bin therefore forcing more people to have to check in their carry ons. There are also people who put their huge overcoats up in the overhead bins even when the FAs specifically say not to.

I mean, can't we all be more considerate?
thats true if only people could be more considerate . I’m traveling 2nd week of October so hopefully people won’t have heavy coats that there storing up there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.