Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta forcing passengers to check carry ons is this true?

Delta forcing passengers to check carry ons is this true?

Old Jan 2, 19, 10:11 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,817
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
I'm pulling up a comfy chair to watch where this one goes...

How can I recognize this elite status well before the DYKWIA behavior begins?
Cowbell tags....
Orange County Commuter is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 11:04 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: DTW / FNT
Programs: The Dastardly Quintet. No longer loyal to one airline. DL doesn't get the value of relationships.
Posts: 579
Originally Posted by Ettealvo View Post
My seat is in row 11 from Orlando to jfk then row 27 from jfk to Venice.

on the way back the flight from Rome to Amsterdam is with Alitalia I have to check if Alitalia allows a carry on plus a personal item does anyone know by chance?

on the way back if I were to check bags when i connect in Amsterdam would i have to collect my bags and drop them off at the next flight?

Because I know if you connect in the USA from Europe you have to go through customs then collect bags and drop off at next flight then go through security but I am connecting in Amsterdam so would it be the same process as connecting in the us?
I can't speak to today's policy (last time I flew Alitalia was FCO to CDG in, I think, 2013). However, on that flight, Alitalia indeed allowed only one carry-on. They forced everyone to check their second bag at check-in.
NapaPatTours is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 11:04 am
  #33  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by MFNlaw View Post
AZ's requirements are smaller, and European airlines are usually stricter about both size and weight. Your max weight is 8 kg for a carry on. You'll need to find a new one.

https://www.alitalia.com/en_us/fly-a...d-baggage.html
your right Alitalias is 23x13x9 so I will need a smaller bag unless I check the bags on the return home flight. Hopefully my backpack will be ok delta or Alitalia do not state the dimensions for that but its not that big and should fit under the seat
Ettealvo is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 11:06 am
  #34  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by NapaPatTours View Post
I can't speak to today's policy (last time I flew Alitalia was FCO to CDG in, I think, 2013). However, on that flight, Alitalia indeed allowed only one carry-on. They forced everyone to check their second bag at check-in.
i checked Alitalias website it stated they allow a carry on size 23x13x9 and a smaller item such as a purse or back pack etc . But Ill double check there website again just in case
Ettealvo is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 11:09 am
  #35  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by Ardecos View Post
Are you flights home on one ticket? If so, you won't have to recheck in Amsterdam, they'll be checked through to your final destination. However, you'll have collect them at your point of entry to the US, as you say.
yes for my flights home it is all on one ticket.

i know coming from Europe connecting in the USA you have to clear customs and grab your bags to drop off again which is a hassle. I have never connected in Europe before on the way home so wasnt sure of the process but ignore I Can by pass that then thats good . Thats if I end up checking my bag on the return home
Ettealvo is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 11:14 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 75

I read above comments about 'big coats' taking up bin space and how 'inconsiderate' people are who travel with one and take up bin space. That is ludicrious if you think about it. Why should someone who insists on not checking a bag have any more right to put their rollaboard in a bin than someone who checks their bag and has a large coat they wish to put in the bin? One has no more right to the space than the other and yet there seems to be this persistent believe that someone with a rollaboard has such a right.
Not sure if you were referring to my post but I was describing people who put a roller carry on AND their personal bag AND their coat in the overhead bin. Which is ludicrous.
What they should do is put the carry on in the overhead bin, the personal bag under the seat, and the coat in their lap...or wear it.

I completely agree with you that as per the airline rules you are entitled to 1 carry on and 1 personal item. If you only have 1 personal item you should be able to put it in the overhead bin.
Of course, if someone asked NICELY if you could put it under your seat that's a different story.
dreamspeed is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 11:25 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MDT/BWI
Programs: DL Gold, Marriott-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by Ettealvo View Post


your right Alitalias is 23x13x9 so I will need a smaller bag unless I check the bags on the return home flight. Hopefully my backpack will be ok delta or Alitalia do not state the dimensions for that but its not that big and should fit under the seat
I fly AZ fairly frequently. They shouldn't give you grief over your backpack as long as it's not one of those with a frame or designed to hold a month's worth of clothing.
MFNlaw is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 11:26 am
  #38  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 24,082
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis View Post
You should have not...

So, according to your situation, you had the dog under the seat and a laptop bag which you could have told the FA was your CARRY-ON BAG and had the same priority as the person who said her 'bag needs room'. She had no more right to the space than you did. But YOU have to make it clear that you will not accept your bag being removed to accommodate her bag. What's more, a loud, 'take your hands off my bag immediately' would not have been inappropriate when she removed your bag and handed it to the FA. She had no right to touch your bag without your permission. There are laws against that. FAs have an 'implied permission' to move items in the overhead to accommodate other passengers. But even they do not have a right to decide what is and is not a 'carry-on bag' other than according to the airline's own rules. That only mentions MAXIMUM size. Your laptop bag met the rules.
This is funny. There's zero laws against touching or moving someone's bag. There's laws about taking possession (aka stealing) someone's property. However touching your bag or moving it doesn't constitue anything illegal. Also The FA are indeed allowed to decide what goes where.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 1:00 pm
  #39  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 33
Now if the GA does make you check your carry on at the gate Im assuming an employee walks it down to the bottom of the plane right?

so would that minimize the chances of your bag getting lost since its just going from the gate to the bottom of the plane instead of being handled by several people going from the terminal to the plane
Ettealvo is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 3:33 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Posts: 7,670
Originally Posted by GagaPilot View Post
I avoid the need for overhead bins and encourage others to do so as well.
Good for you, but there is more than one opinion on the matter.

Why not just check the bag? I mean airline tickets are already expensive. What's a few more bucks to check something? Or take advantage of free bag checking if your fare or status allows?
Oh, let me count the ways:
- Extra time at baggage claim
- Possibility of lost bag
- Possibility of delayed bag, especially on a connecting flight
- Possibility of damaged or pilfered items
- Lack of liability on carrier's part for many types of items (cameras, laptops, etc)

Also, my wheelie bag does double-duty as a carrier for my under-the-seat bag. Sometimes, that bag is heavy, and if I have to unexpectedly check the wheelie, it's inconvenient to carry the other one.

Of course, none of that says that I think people should do carry-on only. I wouldn't presume to think that everyone else's situation or preferences are the same as mine.
dreamspeed likes this.
Steve M is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 5:07 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Haze gray and underway
Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Posts: 1,680
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis View Post
If there is not enough overhead bin space to accommodate someone's rollaboard who boards after me, that is their problem and I would say it was very 'inconsiderate' of them to suggest that I remove my bag to accommodate them. It is not a ONE WAY street. Your rollaboard can roll off the plane as easily as it rolled on.
They can ask. . . They can also (at their own risk) reach up and move my overhead bag.
Dublin_rfk is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 5:22 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Haze gray and underway
Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Posts: 1,680
Originally Posted by GagaPilot View Post
However on a red-eye from SEA-ATL I had a female passenger literally grab my laptop bag out of the bin and ask whose it was. I quickly explained it was my bag, but it had to go overhead as I had a dog under the seat. She said "not my problem, my bag needs room!" She then proceeded to hand my laptop bag to a FA who just rolled her eyes and handed it back to me. I was astounded the FA allowed such behavior.

As for 'relocating' my overhead bag. That my friend is a death defying act. Once I have parked my bag (singular) I zero concern for anyone behind me with a luggage issues.
dreamspeed likes this.
Dublin_rfk is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 5:39 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 75
I think the takeaway here is that if people just followed the "rules" and be considerate, MOST of the time things work out in an orderly fashion
dreamspeed is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 9:06 pm
  #44  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 36,387
A friend and I had an interesting encounter. We're flying SEA-AMS-FRA, right two seats, center bulkhead, 747. I'm DL Plat, so we were among the first to board after F/J. We each had a small rollaboard and a small personal bag. I put one set of bags in the overheads above our center bulkhead, and then put the other set in the overhead across the aisle (seats A-B). Two couples board a bit later than us, sitting in the first two rows, A/B. One of the men proceeds to start reading me the riot act - I mean raised voice, looking around at other pax, trying to draw everyone in - because we had put bags in 'their' overhead bins. He and the others kept bleating about how experienced they were. He was very large - my friend and I are very small - and he was really working it. The FA finally calmed him down, and as he took his seat, he looked at his wife and back at the other couple and loudly declared "Some people are so rude. We're very well traveled and we know the rules. Next time, we're just going to fly first class".

The best part? This was Christmas/New Year's, so there was the slimmest of chances that we would have all ended up on the same flight home. I wish we had, because as we were boarding to come home, my friend and I both got upgraded to F.

I've witnessed this before - pax thinking the compartment above their seat is reserved for only their use. That's particularly problematic on some of the little RJs that have tiny bins on one side and roomier bins on the other. Those little bins are so small that I've had to readjust a small rucksack (personal item) to make it fit.
chollie is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 10:30 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by chollie View Post
A friend and I had an interesting encounter. We're flying SEA-AMS-FRA, right two seats, center bulkhead, 747. I'm DL Plat, so we were among the first to board after F/J. We each had a small rollaboard and a small personal bag. I put one set of bags in the overheads above our center bulkhead, and then put the other set in the overhead across the aisle (seats A-B). Two couples board a bit later than us, sitting in the first two rows, A/B. One of the men proceeds to start reading me the riot act - I mean raised voice, looking around at other pax, trying to draw everyone in - because we had put bags in 'their' overhead bins. He and the others kept bleating about how experienced they were. He was very large - my friend and I are very small - and he was really working it. The FA finally calmed him down, and as he took his seat, he looked at his wife and back at the other couple and loudly declared "Some people are so rude. We're very well traveled and we know the rules. Next time, we're just going to fly first class".

The best part? This was Christmas/New Year's, so there was the slimmest of chances that we would have all ended up on the same flight home. I wish we had, because as we were boarding to come home, my friend and I both got upgraded to F.

I've witnessed this before - pax thinking the compartment above their seat is reserved for only their use. That's particularly problematic on some of the little RJs that have tiny bins on one side and roomier bins on the other. Those little bins are so small that I've had to readjust a small rucksack (personal item) to make it fit.
am I reading this wrong or are you bragging about pulling a dick move and taking up FOUR overhead spots?

Or were you sitting in the section without underwear storage?
dreamspeed is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread