Race to Diamond - 2020 Edition!

Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by bsagator
If you have to pay close to $250k in income taxes/rent, I would think you'd be able to afford to pay for international J and domestic F on any airline, so status shouldn't matter as much. Now $30k is something else, as I could do that by midyear. $250k is a dream. My account already got flagged for the $30k, and I had to show bank statements to prove i wasn't money laundering or illegal cash advancing(?). And wasting time on a MU/etc J trip for the MQD? I make vacations out of it.
I put $50-100K per month on my Amex from random, unusual countries across the globe and have never once been flagged for anything.

What did you do that triggered that review?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: Delta GM
Originally Posted by DCAhome
First trip in January complete! Second one coming up!! (BTW, this one finally put me over the MM mark.)

Man, now I'm losing again. Was nice while it lasted.
wlau, TheHorta and DCAhome like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
First trip in January complete! Second one coming up!! (BTW, this one finally put me over the MM mark.)

Almost 32,000 MQMs from a single four segment trip is nice, and for less than $8500 too, which suggests to me that this probably wasn't a FULL J (200% MQMs) fare. From the DC area, something like SIN using the direct flight from SEA could work, or obviously SYD/JHB with only one connection. It also looks like you first earned PM only in June and then deliberately held back to maximize rollover. OTOH the 1 MM would mean that you've probably held elite status during many years. One more trip like this will get you DM level MQDs but not quite enough MQMs for DM unless you get some MQMs from AmEx very soon.
DCAhome likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Almost 32,000 MQMs from a single four segment trip is nice, and for less than $8500 too, which suggests to me that this probably wasn't a FULL J (200% MQMs) fare. From the DC area, something like SIN using the direct flight from SEA could work, or obviously SYD/JHB with only one connection. It also looks like you first earned PM only in June and then deliberately held back to maximize rollover. OTOH the 1 MM would mean that you've probably held elite status during many years. One more trip like this will get you DM level MQDs but not quite enough MQMs for DM unless you get some MQMs from AmEx very soon.
Excellent analysis! The trip was IAD-CDG-SIN in Z on AF. Even better, the actually ticket cost was $3400, so the MQD earning was a nice bonus.

I earned the bulk of my miles in the 90's when I was in consulting. That got me to about 875,000 lifetime miles. Settling down and family kept me from substantial flying for a number of years. It was only at the end of 2017 that I was in a position to really get into flying again. I started in the final quarter of 2017 and got to GM. And, as you noticed, got to PM in mid-2018. And, I purposely held off getting to DM so I could rollover MQMs. (I had already met the MQD threshold.)

Next trip is NYC-AMS-DPS in Z on KL. This, and the 10K boost from Amex for my estimated tax payment, should get me very, very close to DM in mid-January. My first time ever, and I'm glad it will last for nearly 2 years. 95% if my flying is leisure, and I'm usually bringing along a spouse or kid (or both), so the costs add up pretty quickly....
MSPeconomist and TheHorta like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Excellent analysis! The trip was IAD-CDG-SIN in Z on AF. Even better, the actually ticket cost was $3400, so the MQD earning was a nice bonus.

I earned the bulk of my miles in the 90's when I was in consulting. That got me to about 875,000 lifetime miles. Settling down and family kept me from substantial flying for a number of years. It was only at the end of 2017 that I was in a position to really get into flying again. I started in the final quarter of 2017 and got to GM. And, as you noticed, got to PM in mid-2018. And, I purposely held off getting to DM so I could rollover MQMs. (I had already met the MQD threshold.)

Next trip is NYC-AMS-DPS in Z on KL. This, and the 10K boost from Amex for my estimated tax payment, should get me very, very close to DM in mid-January. My first time ever, and I'm glad it will last for nearly 2 years. 95% if my flying is leisure, and I'm usually bringing along a spouse or kid (or both), so the costs add up pretty quickly....
Well played, mate. Well played.
DCAhome likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Just got my rollover, I'm totally not going to win...
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, Delta PM/2MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wait - so how do you have $8418 MQD off of one $3400 AF Z fare? According to the chart that should yield $1400 MQD.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by webmarks
Wait - so how do you have $8418 MQD off of one $3400 AF Z fare? According to the chart that should yield $1400 MQD.
For partners, MQDs are based on distance. So the dollars (MQDs) are 40% of the number of miles traveled. It's a bit confusing, but can be used to our benefit!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by webmarks
Even better is tomorrow's trip to Bali. $2366 for Z on AMS (IAD - DPS) and I'm going to earn 8,958 MQD!
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Funny thing is, I keep pushing back my travel as far as I possibly can.

As it turns out... I actually LIKE being HOME!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: Marriot Ambassador ; Delta Diamond ; Avis President's Club ; National Exec Elite
I'm curious what you all do as a career to be able to get to Diamond so early in the calendar year? I assume senior BD/sales, insurance, or a business owner/partner?

I feel lucky to have made Platinum late last year as a consultant. But my projects are more domestic and typically shorter distances, flying out of a non-major hub on the east coast. And with my line of consulting going more remote these days, I'm curious which professions remain the true road warriors! I can't imagine having 4+ MQS a week, every week seeing multiple clients. Although I see some of you booking Z Class that gets you to $15k MQD spend easily, shame my company doesn't allow that for us low level grunts, must be nice.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, Delta PM/2MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rubey419
I'm curious what you all do as a career to be able to get to Diamond so early in the calendar year? I assume senior BD/sales, insurance, or a business owner/partner?

I feel lucky to have made Platinum late last year as a consultant. But my projects are more domestic and typically shorter distances, flying out of a non-major hub on the east coast. And with my line of consulting going more remote these days, I'm curious which professions remain the true road warriors! I can't imagine having 4+ MQS a week, every week seeing multiple clients. Although I see some of you booking Z Class that gets you to $15k MQD spend easily, shame my company doesn't allow that for us low level grunts, must be nice.
I'm a tech evangelist for a major software company. We have an active, worldwide ecosystem and I sit at the cusp between company and community. I generally clock 350k-400k BIS miles/year, mix of cabins based on pricing and timing.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Even better is tomorrow's trip to Bali. $2366 for Z on AMS (IAD - DPS) and I'm going to earn 8,958 MQD!
I've never heard of an airline with the initials "AMS" that flies from IAD>DPS! Could you be more accurate please in your reply?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by audidudi
I've never heard of an airline with the initials "AMS" that flies from IAD>DPS! Could you be more accurate please in your reply?
AMS is the IATA code for Amsterdam airport. I think the poster was likely communicating that their flying from IAD to DPS via AMS (likely on KLM, a Delta/Skyteam partner)

Regards
DCAhome likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Love it. I’m flying a bargain fare to Bangkok and Phuket next week and am getting something like $5k MQD. Will secure Platinum for 2020 with that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.