Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Race to Diamond - 2020 Edition!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
It will be at least October for me I reckon.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:01 pm

My status for 2019 still shows all zeros (even though I have a bunch of carryover MQM, around 140k). I wish I knew how they work through the list (might be reverse alphabetically?). I don't think I've ever gotten the new year's data to show up before mid-January.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Steiny
My status for 2019 still shows all zeros (even though I have a bunch of carryover MQM, around 140k). I wish I knew how they work through the list (might be reverse alphabetically?). I don't think I've ever gotten the new year's data to show up before mid-January.
Then you just need to charge $250,000 on one or more DL AmEx cards and you'll be our winner. Maybe you need a really nice sports car as a new year's gift to yourself?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by rogo
My real math, by the way, is more likely close to this:

Cost of generated spend: $5500
Net cost of Reserve cards: $0 (thanks companion certs)
Value of 350K SkyMiles: $4500 (minimum)
Maybe this is a super newbie question, so I apologize in advance for the ignorance, but how in the world are you manufacturing $250,000 in spend for $5,500? Is that taboo to ask?
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Then you just need to charge $250,000 on one or more DL AmEx cards and you'll be our winner. Maybe you need a really nice sports car as a new year's gift to yourself?
If My wife would let me I would, but that way it stands now I will make it in Mid to late March. I am rolling over 250K this year. And will probably fly another 300 - 350 K this year,
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rogo
My real math, by the way, is more likely close to this:

Cost of generated spend: $5500
Net cost of Reserve cards: $0 (thanks companion certs)
Value of 350K SkyMiles: $4500 (minimum)

------

Total cost = $1000
Time spent = maybe 5-7 hours over the whole year

The 100K MQMs without flying are nice too. I have a backstop to re-qualify for Platinum for several years after leaving the DM treadmill
If you can do all that MS in just 5-7 hours total, you should have achieved DM already (since we're four days into the year, with three of them being regular weekday business days) by the MQD waiver, although if you don't have enough rollover you might have to wait for your AmEx statements to close so that the MQMs can post to your DL FF account. <joke>

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 5, 2019 at 10:00 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:03 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by marcdc
Maybe this is a super newbie question, so I apologize in advance for the ignorance, but how in the world are you manufacturing $250,000 in spend for $5,500? Is that taboo to ask?
I'm not sure if your thought is that they are putting $5500 worth of expenses on the card and getting credit for spending $250k, but my read is that they are paying $5500 in fees to generate spend they wouldn't otherwise have organically.

i.e. $5500 is 2.2% of 250k. You can use your credit card to pay income taxes etc. for a "convenience fee" of ~1.87%-2%, there are services to pay rent and such for around the same percentage I think, and so on.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
I'm not sure if your thought is that they are putting $5500 worth of expenses on the card and getting credit for spending $250k, but my read is that they are paying $5500 in fees to generate spend they wouldn't otherwise have organically.

i.e. $5500 is 2.2% of 250k. You can use your credit card to pay income taxes etc. for a "convenience fee" of ~1.87%-2%, there are services to pay rent and such for around the same percentage I think, and so on.
Oh I see. That makes much more sense. Thank you for the clarity
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you can do all that MS in just 5-7 hours total, you should have achieved DM already (since we're four days into the year, with three of them being regular weekday business days) by the MQD waiver, although if you don't have enough rollover you might have to wait for your AmEx statements to close so that the MQMs can post to your DL FF account. <joke>
Please don't tell me what I can or cannot do, I don't presume to do that for you.

It takes 5-7 hours total. Sorry that bugs people. It also takes the whole year to execute those transactions because I'd rather no loan the government money for 12 months. And I'd rather space up my other spending (some of which is charitable) through the year.

I, incidentally, have 88K of rollover coming. I'll have 125K MQMs by February 3 I believe. However, I will only have about 50K of Delta Amex spend and <$1K MQDs at that point.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Whoa horsey! Rogo, cool your jets brutha. MSP wasn’t attacking you.
TommyD2 and rkoechel like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by marcdc
Oh I see. That makes much more sense. Thank you for the clarity
Is there a thread or guide here that shows how to do 250K in MS?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:49 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by arunhn
Is there a thread or guide here that shows how to do 250K in MS?
There's an entire FT forum for MS:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...-spending-719/
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
First trip in January complete! Second one coming up!! (BTW, this one finally put me over the MM mark.)

TheHorta and MountainGuy like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by DCAhome
First trip in January complete! Second one coming up!! (BTW, this one finally put me over the MM mark.)

Congratulations!
DCAhome likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Zorak

If you have to pay close to $250k in income taxes/rent, I would think you'd be able to afford to pay for international J and domestic F on any airline, so status shouldn't matter as much. Now $30k is something else, as I could do that by midyear. $250k is a dream. My account already got flagged for the $30k, and I had to show bank statements to prove i wasn't money laundering or illegal cash advancing(?). And wasting time on a MU/etc J trip for the MQD? I make vacations out of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.