Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Battlefield Upgrades (flame free success stories)

Deleted because I have no interest in being buried in this thread...

Last edited by Wimsta; Apr 5, 2019 at 9:20 pm Reason: Deleted because I disagree with moderators merge.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Wimsta
Yesterday I was on the tail end of the flu and thought I'd really appreciate the extra comfort on my LAX-ATL journey. I called in to use an RUC and went to first on the list for one seat in FC.

I was also first on the list for C+.

By the time I got to the lounge I saw I was 2 on the list for the front and at about t-59 the person ahead of me cleared to 5D.

On my walk to board something happened with another flight, and passengers from another flight transferred onto the earlier flight. I was now 1st for C+ with zero seats, and 3rd for FC with zero seats.

I made my way to 27F, which was a great seat, but I'm a big guy as so was the person I was sitting next to.

We made small talk, he shared what they told him about "too many medallions on our flight" and talked about hoping I'd be able to give him more room when I moved forward.

The UG fairy boarded, walked to the back, right past me... no luck.

Then he boarded again, stopped a few rows before me, and, again, no luck.

Then he boarded a third time, walked back to me, and delivered the news, "your new seat is One Bravo."

Once I reached the front I heard the story. I got the UG, on his third trip, because both other people were flying with cats. They both had to decline the UG because they couldn't stow pets.

Maybe it isn't a unicorn, but it sure felt like the rarest of the rare to me. I could imagine making it from higher on the list when a couple, or family, declines being broken up (since that has happened to me a few times). But two different people carrying pets declining bulkhead FC... not to mention the GA boarded 3 times to make the UG in total... I was grateful and impressed.

What are your battlefield UG success stories?
That's a great story!
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Wimsta

What are your battlefield UG success stories?
My best have been on AF, flying CDG to/from Asia in PE.

Arrive CDG from the US and scan at a kiosk to get an AF BP. Out pops a business class BP.
Going to an agent at the AF lounge at CDG asking if I might upgrade with DL miles. She looks and says, no need, you've been upgraded - opup.
Flying back from Asia to CDG on Christmas day, there are 3 people in PE. Shortly before takeoff, the purser comes to each of us and says we can move to the second business class cabin, which was otherwise empty. She did tell us we wouldn't get BC meals since the flight had only been catered for the folks who paid BC and were in the front cabin. She did ask us not to write to AF with thanks since the crew was doing this on their own.

And one from the time right around the merger, I think.
When DL/NW was running an amazing triple miles promo for originating in STL, PIT and maybe a few other cities I did a few trips.
One was STL-LIM. I checked in with the agent in STL and had to produce the credit card I'd purchased the ticket with for some reason. Then she upgraded me STL-ATL and took some extra time, saying 'a platinum shouldn't have to sit in coach going to Lima.' She handed me the STL-ATL bp and said to get my bp for ATL-LIM at the gate in ATL - she wasn't sure that what she was doing would work but it did and I flew business to LIM. But my bag went to Wilmington (ILM) and caught up with me the next night.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:12 pm

I have only see the GA board to UG someone maybe 2 or 3 times. One of those times it was to upgrade me.

Another time my wife and I were flying together, I think on the same itinerary. I got cleared FC but she didn't. She was #1 with 0 seats. I asked the GA about it and he said to hangout for about 10min until it was within 20 or 30min of departure. I guess there was someone who had not arrived yet so he gave her the upgrade. I thought that was pretty rare, but what do I know.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by MarkP24
That's a great story!
Glad you liked it and got to see it.

I thought it was truly above and beyond, and it was a real treat last night.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by mot29
My best have been on AF, flying CDG to/from Asia in PE.

Arrive CDG from the US and scan at a kiosk to get an AF BP. Out pops a business class BP.
Going to an agent at the AF lounge at CDG asking if I might upgrade with DL miles. She looks and says, no need, you've been upgraded - opup.
Flying back from Asia to CDG on Christmas day, there are 3 people in PE. Shortly before takeoff, the purser comes to each of us and says we can move to the second business class cabin, which was otherwise empty. She did tell us we wouldn't get BC meals since the flight had only been catered for the folks who paid BC and were in the front cabin. She did ask us not to write to AF with thanks since the crew was doing this on their own.

And one from the time right around the merger, I think.
When DL/NW was running an amazing triple miles promo for originating in STL, PIT and maybe a few other cities I did a few trips.
One was STL-LIM. I checked in with the agent in STL and had to produce the credit card I'd purchased the ticket with for some reason. Then she upgraded me STL-ATL and took some extra time, saying 'a platinum shouldn't have to sit in coach going to Lima.' She handed me the STL-ATL bp and said to get my bp for ATL-LIM at the gate in ATL - she wasn't sure that what she was doing would work but it did and I flew business to LIM. But my bag went to Wilmington (ILM) and caught up with me the next night.
Love it!
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL FO
March (FO)
22 BOS-CVG F, at window
23 CVG-ATL C+, at window (to middle), downgraded, at gate
23 ATL-PTY C+, at window
29 PTY-ATL C+, at window
29 ATL-CVG C+, at window
31 CVG-BOS C+, at gate

2019 total:
6 of 6, 100% for C+
1 of 6, 17% for F
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta PM
Living the dream as a PM! I intentionally booked this crazy itinerary to have a shot at D1 and also to rack up a few extra MQM. Total MQD for this ticket was $502 and MQM's were 6950.

MAR 31 DL 3349 - PWM-JFK - cleared at plat window
MAR 31 DL 1657 - JFK-LAX - 5th for 5 seats 1 hour before and cleared into D1. (767-300)
MAR 31 DL 5776 - LAX-LAS - did not clear, C+
APR 06 DL 2624 - LAS-LAX - 3rd for 3 seats 1 hour before and cleared
APR 06 DL 1666 - LAX-JFK - 3rd for 9 seats 1 hour before and cleared into D1. (A330)
APR 06 DL 5231 - JFK-PWM - cleared at plat window

That was amazing!!
koreanair720 and Duke787 like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:48 pm

Probably my last year as DM because of the $15k MQD requirement .... However 2019 has been very successful for upgrades.

From 1/1/19 - 3/29/19 - 9 flights - 36 segments, all purchased at lowest "main cabin" fare. Most flights were on the east coast.
FC - 31 flights
EC - 5 flights
E - 1 flight
(used 1 RUC)
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Platinium Elite
Me: Silver, Wife: Gold and 2 children w/no status

1/1/19 - ABQ > MSP - 2 First Class (I took my wife's ticket and went with my son) (other 2 were companion pass)
3/22/19 - MSP > SAT- all 4 Comfort Plus (cleared 1hr before flight)
3/25/19 - SAT > MSP - all 4 Comfort Plus (cleared 1 hr before flight)

Last edited by mnfilmer; Apr 13, 2019 at 7:01 am Reason: wrong
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
LGA CLT cleared 5 days out. Have to fly AA on way back tho
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:35 am

FO.

3/24 - N fare (award) - RDU-ATL, C+ at window, ended 16 of 16.
4/13 - N fare (award) - SEA-RDU, F at window.

Great end to my trip ^
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
1/3 last week flying MIA-ATL-SLC-RNO. Total for the year now 9/15 for upgrade eligible segments with two RUCs being used.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
LGA CLT cleared 5 days out. Have to fly AA on way back tho
Is there a thread for smallest upgrade list?

There never was an upgrade list - only 3 people in FC at check in, but over 60+ on standby. Nobody on the C+ or F lists 1 hour before the flight. Some of the standbys got to FC
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:53 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
DM last week:

Thursday 6:55 PM MSN-SLC: Cleared at window
Thursday 10:30 PM SLC-SFO: Cleared at window
Friday 10:00 PM SFO-DTW: Took FCM offer of ~ 10,000 miles, not messing around with a red-eye that had no C+ left either
Saturday 8:30 AM DTW-MSN: Cleared at window

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.