Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Is MSP-LAS a hard upgrade to clear?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Is MSP-LAS a hard upgrade to clear?
I've been watching it a little since I'm going this fall. As a GM looking within my window, I've seen 1-2 Friday flights with 'upgrade available' for F. Flights only listing 'upgrade eligible' for F/C+ have had very full C+, not sure if that's people buying up for free booze or medallions.

I'd say it's very time/day/special event dependant.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bloc0102
I've been watching it a little since I'm going this fall. As a GM looking within my window, I've seen 1-2 Friday flights with 'upgrade available' for F. Flights only listing 'upgrade eligible' for F/C+ have had very full C+, not sure if that's people buying up for free booze or medallions.

I'd say it's very time/day/special event dependant.
Gotcha. I'm debating paying $340 to upgrade to F from the East Coast to LAS via MSP (roughly 3 hours per flight). The MSP- LAS flight seems pretty full in C+ and F may sell out too....
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: DL DM
Has anyone heard of IT getting stuck on upgrades? Have been having a lot of trouble getting upgrades lately, on routes I was getting easy upgrades last year at the window, as a PM.
It's like it's using my current status for 2020 (currently Silver) instead of the PM of 2019 earned flying last year.

LAX > SEA at 9:30am on a Thursday, 10 seats available in F before the 5 day window, 6 persons cleared.
At the gate, ended up 7 out of 12 for 1 seat. Never been so "low" (as in, below the 50%) as a PM on a "mid-day" flight.
I took that flight on several week-days last year, always cleared at 5 days before..

Same, SLC > SEA at 5pm on a Monday, I cleared that one several times at the window last year, didn't clear this time...

Was I just lucky last year? Those routes / times don't seem DM heavy to me...
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
This week, MSP - YYC on an award ticket, both ways upgraded to F at the gate. Two passengers on one PNR, one platinum and one no status.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
3/26 DL 1416 MSY-ATL 737-900 M Fare: #3 of 29
3/26 DL 2219 ATL-RDU A-320 M Fare: #9 of 37. Only cleared into C+ at the gate

Now 63.16% (12/19) on the year
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:20 pm

My Saturday PM JFK-LAX today was cleared into D1 at T-3, though I had to send a Twitter DM to check the upgrade availability. By then seat map was showing 9 un-occupied seats on a 767-300ER featuring 26 D1 seats. Lesson learned: never hurt to ask.

Then today at the gate 6 lucky souls got upgraded to D1, out of a 20+ upgrade list.

Last edited by yuzheny; Mar 30, 2019 at 6:22 pm Reason: Correct the itinerary
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Platinum, no reserve

Wednesday night STL-SLC (319) upgraded at T-96, connecting to SLC-LAX upgraded at T-120.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
DTW-LAS 2736 last night only 4 on the upgrade list for 7 seats.
Plane was filled with standbys. I think 45 cleared and there was still a list

I was on paid F but apparently wasted my money as this looked to be an easy upgrade yesterday
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77
Plane was filled with standbys. I think 45 cleared and there was still a list
confirmed passengers in basic economy (or otherwise without seat assignments) show up on the GIDS/app "standby" list.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
confirmed passengers in basic economy (or otherwise without seat assignments) show up on the GIDS/app "standby" list.
Thanks for the assist and makes sense for a leisure destination like LAS.
Complete brain fart in regards to BE on standby. I’ll blame it on too much Crown Royale last night.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
04/01 - MCI-MSP Currently sitting #15 of 39 for 2 seats ( NCAA Regionals ended today in KC, I assume all the TV crews and NCAA personnel are headed up to MSP for next weeks Final 4)
04/01 - MSP-MDW - Cleared at T-72 hours.

Currently 28/31 for F upgrades (90%) and 31/31 for Comfort +.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by apodo77

Thanks for the assist and makes sense for a leisure destination like LAS.
Complete brain fart in regards to BE on standby. I’ll blame it on too much Crown Royale last night.
LAS is not a leisure destination. While some people may go there for leisure, it is very much a business destination, and F seats are purchased accordingly.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:21 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Went 80% (DM+GM) and 60% (PM) on spring vacation with a couple surprising upgrades:

Friday 3/22 MSN-LGA: DM+1(GM) at window, PM at window
Saturday 3/23 JFK-ANU: DM+1(GM) at gate, PM at T-12 (strange story, see below)
Saturday 3/30 ANU-JFK: DM+1(GM) pulled up after boarding after being 1 and 2 for 0, PM not upgraded (first loser) and sat in C+. Kudos to the ANU gate agents for pulling us up after boarding (the flight departed 20 minutes ahead of schedule).
Sunday 3/31 JFK-DCA: DM+1(GM) at window, PM at window
Sunday 3/31 DCA-MSN: DM+1(GM) and PM finished 1, 2, and 3 for 0 (all in C+) - forward cabin had been 1 or 0 available for several weeks

The outbound trip was strange upgrade-wise. For the JFK-ANU segment, there was 1 seat available for several weeks leading up to the flight. At check-in my companion and I were 1 and 2 and my PM wife was 4. Our MSN-LGA flight ended up diverting to JFK, and during the flight my wife got the advance upgrade for the next day's JFK-ANU flight. I know the system skipped me and companion because there was only 1 seat left, but I have no explanation why the 3rd person on the list didn't get the upgrade over her unless the underlying IRROPS changed something. Then overnight 2 seats opened and my companion and I got those at the gate, and the person who was originally 3rd on the list finished as first loser. So my family ended up pulling off a SHENA.

Last edited by kpbadger; Apr 1, 2019 at 7:27 am
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: DL 1MM, DL DM, AMEX DL Reserve, AA, UA, WN, Hertz PC.
Something rotten in UG / Res system since last update.

2019 C+ UG % = 83%
2019 F UG % = 25%

I have noticed a significant disruption to the upgrade process in the last couple of months. As a PM, AMEX Reserve, 1MM member, up until 2 months ago my UG % was about 90-95%. I usually book "off peak" flights and check F and C+ availability before booking. For a non hub, those % seem very low.

Since the last major update to the site and app, not only has my UG% plummeted to about 25% for F, but there have been a couple of flights where I haven't even received the instant C+ UG at booking. After several weeks of this, last month I booked a (W) C+ fare AUS-ATL-CLT-ATL-AUS and was unable to even select a C+ seat at booking, even though the inventory (not the seat map) showed plenty of seats available.

The seat map showed an error message:
"Uh-oh! We're sorry but we are not currently able to assign a seat in your class of service."
This is something one expects if buying a BE fare, not spending $1000+ for C+.

At check in yesterday, 5 FC seats showed available on the AUS-ATL leg and I was #1 on UG list. This morning, there are only 2 seats available and I am #8 on the UG list. It does not seem plausible that overnight, 10 DM or PM with a purchased higher fare than a full C+ fare booked this midday flight out of AUS (not a hub).
I have been going online daily trying to select a seat but I'm still receiving the error message on one leg (ATL-AUS).

Just spoke to DL Medallion CS agent and she could not understand why I could not select seats for any of the flights at booking. she also stated that history on the res looked "strange".
Has anyone else noticed recent strange / inexplicable behavior on upgrade functionality?

P.S. As of boarding time I had slid down to #13 on FC upgrade list. Counter agent at AUS at least offered a plausible explanation. He claimed that because of the 737-800 Max grounding, which heavily affects AUS’ top 2 carriers (AA & WN), there have been a lot of affected customers rebooked on DL and other carriers. According to him, those rebookings are done at Y fare which trumps all Medallion statuses on the upgrade list.

Last edited by louis66; Apr 1, 2019 at 11:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.