2019 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof)

Old Jan 27, 19, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
PM:

MSY - JFK, F cleared at PM window, C+ at booking, ended up doing an SDC to earlier flight and ended up #1 for 0 but had both exit rows to myself on the A319 (declined C+ but would have cleared) so no complaints
LGA - RDU, C+ cleared at booking, flight delayed and then canceled (Thursday NYC rain/wind weather) which led to,
JFK - RDU, which was re-booked straight into full fare J (got the bonus too -- too bad it was such a short flight so extra miles were minimal)

YTD on flights actually flown:
YTD C+ upgrade: 100% (4/4)
YTD F upgrade: 75% (3/4)
Old Jan 28, 19, 8:45 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Updating a few since my last post...
Had an IRROPS situation with my last trip out (DTW - SEA). Original itinerary had me in F at the 5-day window, but that flight got canceled. Auto-assigned flight also had me in F, but that would have put me in too late. Since getting on the plane was the top priority, I took a MC seat and used a RUC waitlist - which cleared.
SEA - DTW got C+ at booking but failed to go to F.

YTD (actually flown):
RUC: 2/2
Window/Gate F upgrade: 4/5
Not tracking C+ since it's not worth tracking on a CR2, and that's the only time it's been a question so far.
Old Jan 28, 19, 10:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
I find it curious how many people are counting C+ as an 'upgrade'
As a lowly silver this year, I have been able to snag some exit rows on many of my long flights..four times TPA-LAX and back. Those generally have better leg room than the C+ seats, so for me, it would be a downgrade to C+...I chose not to upgrade for those flights. Don't really care about the free alcohol.
Old Jan 28, 19, 11:05 am

Programs: DL - PM (demoted with Amex waiver increase) and 1 MM
Currently DM. Scheduled to drop to PM on Feb 1 as I have only qualified for DM due to the previously lower Amex waiver. I have a flight from LGA to FLL on Feb 1, and I cleared at the DM window for a flight I will fly as a PM. I guess you could say I'm getting the absolute most out of my 2018 status.
DCAhome likes this.
Old Jan 28, 19, 11:59 am

Programs: Delta DM, B6 Mosaic
I know that upgrades are extremely date, time and route-specific, but generally speaking, how common are GM upgrades to C+ these days? I realize they won't clear until 3 days prior. I have some upcoming flights where my daughter is on my PNR and my GM wife on a separate PNR. Wondering if it makes sense to pick aisle and window C+ seats for us now and then hope for a C+ middle for my wife sometime in the last 3 days (or just skip the C+ upgrades altogether).
Old Jan 28, 19, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey View Post
I know that upgrades are extremely date, time and route-specific, but generally speaking, how common are GM upgrades to C+ these days? I realize they won't clear until 3 days prior. I have some upcoming flights where my daughter is on my PNR and my GM wife on a separate PNR. Wondering if it makes sense to pick aisle and window C+ seats for us now and then hope for a C+ middle for my wife sometime in the last 3 days (or just skip the C+ upgrades altogether).
What route? Generally when I am not upgraded to FC, I almost always get decent C+ seats as they tend to come open once the DMs/PMs are upgraded at 5 days.
Old Jan 28, 19, 3:15 pm

Programs: Delta
With Silver, I was upgraded on PUJ-MSP to First with my companion at check-in yesterday. Pretty shocked to get it but was happy to get it on a 5+ hour flight. Upgrade list was empty. I've never seen that before. Apparently very few medallion members onboard.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 6:59 am

Programs: Delta DM, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post

What route? Generally when I am not upgraded to FC, I almost always get decent C+ seats as they tend to come open once the DMs/PMs are upgraded at 5 days.
Mostly DC hops or leisure routes. IAD-CUN, BWI-ATL-MHH, LIR-ATL-DCA

Good point about the DM/PM upgrades. I'm going to change my seat and my daughter's seat to a window and aisle in C+ in the last row. I would imagine if the middle seat is taken and my wife clears into any other C+ seat then that person would be willing to switch (particularly if it was a non-middle).
Old Jan 29, 19, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
I flew 17 Delta segments in January 2019 as a DM. I got F on 16 of them... 13 in advance, 2 at the gate, and 1 due to IROPS.
BOS-MSP (at window)
MSP-BDL (at gate)
BOS-PBI (at window with a companion)
PBI-BOS (at window with a companion)
BOS-JFK (IROPS due to weather, switch from BOS-LGA and cleared at gate on the new flight)
LGA-ATL (at gate)
ATL-MDW (at window)
ORD-ATL (at window)
ATL-BOS (at window)
BOS-DTW (at window)
DTW-MDW (at window)
MDW-ATL (at window)
ATL-BOS (at window)
BOS-ATL (did NOT clear: 6 out of 30 for 2 seats)
ATL-HPN (at window)
HPN-DTW (at window)
DTW-BOS (at window)
Old Jan 31, 19, 10:26 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
Strange thing occurred to me this morning. Itís 1/31, Iím Platinum, and my upgrade for 2/5 cleared 120 hours out. Is that right? LGA-CLT.
Old Jan 31, 19, 10:48 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by AALoyalNYC View Post
Strange thing occurred to me this morning. Itís 1/31, Iím Platinum, and my upgrade for 2/5 cleared 120 hours out. Is that right? LGA-CLT.
This is perfectly normal as you cleared at the DM/PM window which is 5 days prior. Enjoy!
Old Jan 31, 19, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex AA EXP
Originally Posted by AALoyalNYC View Post
Strange thing occurred to me this morning. It’s 1/31, I’m Platinum, and my upgrade for 2/5 cleared 120 hours out. Is that right? LGA-CLT.
Are you supposed to become a lower tier?
Old Feb 4, 19, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta FO, WN A-List, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold, Hilton Silver
PHL-ATL on 2/1, upgraded from economy to first class (at 24h before check-in) on an MD-90.

I'm a Silver and have no idea how this even happened.

Upon check in, I was going to make sure I had opted in for a C+ upgrade because I am usually 50/50 on those with Silver status and ended up just checking the FC box too. Instantly upgraded to 4B.

Anything into ATL on a Friday is going to be elite-heavy, esp. DM and PM so I stopped even trying for FC and have even moved a lot of my flying to Southwest to diversify mileage earning. FC upgrade list was at least 30-40 people at morning of my 1pm departure, so a little less than the 60-70+ I see when coming out of LGA, DCA, etc. Might have been weather-related since there were travel waivers issued for snow, etc. around N.E. and even ATL earlier in the week. But I am still very surprised and wonder if it was a fluke in the system.
Old Feb 4, 19, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My perfect streak for 2019 is over

2/3 DL 1998 BOS-LGA 717-200 PM on an X Fare With Companion: #4 and 5 of 26
2/3 DL 3320 LGA-CLT CRJ-900 PM on an X Fare With Companion: Cleared at T-120

Now 80.00% (4/5) on the year.
Old Feb 4, 19, 7:06 pm

2/3 EWR- ATL was on the bubble for an early AM flight after SDC'ing from an evening flight for which I was #3 for 3 FC seats(chances are good but not guaranteed). After #1 thru 3 got upgraded. I was gonna wait it out but they upgraded me into FC and boarded w/ the rest of the FC. Got lucky.
MarkP24 likes this.

Search this Thread