2019 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof)

Old Apr 1, 19, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex UA 1K & AA EXP
Originally Posted by louis66 View Post
2019 C+ UG % = 83%
2019 F UG % = 25%

I have noticed a significant disruption to the upgrade process in the last couple of months. As a PM, AMEX Reserve, 1MM member, up until 2 months ago my UG % was about 90-95%. I usually book "off peak" flights and check F and C+ availability before booking. For a non hub, those % seem very low.

Since the last major update to the site and app, not only has my UG% plummeted to about 25% for F, but there have been a couple of flights where I haven't even received the instant C+ UG at booking. After several weeks of this, last month I booked a (W) C+ fare AUS-ATL-CLT-ATL-AUS and was unable to even select a C+ seat at booking, even though the inventory (not the seat map) showed plenty of seats available.

The seat map showed an error message:
"Uh-oh! We're sorry but we are not currently able to assign a seat in your class of service."
This is something one expects if buying a BE fare, not spending $1000+ for C+.

At check in yesterday, 5 FC seats showed available on the AUS-ATL leg and I was #1 on UG list. This morning, there are only 2 seats available and I am #8 on the UG list. It does not seem plausible that overnight, 10 DM or PM with a purchased higher fare than a full C+ fare booked this midday flight out of AUS (not a hub).
I have been going online daily trying to select a seat but I'm still receiving the error message on one leg (ATL-AUS).

Just spoke to DL Medallion CS agent and she could not understand why I could not select seats for any of the flights at booking. she also stated that history on the res looked "strange".
Has anyone else noticed recent strange / inexplicable behavior on upgrade functionality?

P.S. As of boarding time I had slid down to #13 on FC upgrade list. Counter agent at AUS at least offered a plausible explanation. He claimed that because of the 737-800 Max grounding, which heavily affects AUSí top 2 carriers (AA & WN), there have been a lot of affected customers rebooked on DL and other carriers. According to him, those rebookings are done at Y fare which trumps all Medallion statuses on the upgrade list.
I haven't see this, but I'm not AUS based.
Old Apr 1, 19, 7:30 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by MarkP24 View Post
According to him, those rebookings are done at Y fare which trumps all Medallion statuses on the upgrade list.
This agent is misinformed -- it used to be this way whereby a FO on a Y fare would be higher than DM on a non-Y fare, but it hasn't been this way for a while now. I'd like to say at least a year (I'm sure someone will correct me).
Old Apr 1, 19, 10:35 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Can't speak to your seat selection issue (was going to ask if any of this was on a Saturday, where there are frequently known issues with seat maps and selection, but I see you wrote "going online daily trying" so I would try to drill down further on what it is they think is "strange" about the reservation), but as for the upgrade list:

Originally Posted by louis66 View Post
At check in yesterday, 5 FC seats showed available on the AUS-ATL leg and I was #1 on UG list. This morning, there are only 2 seats available and I am #8 on the UG list. It does not seem plausible that overnight, 10 DM or PM with a purchased higher fare than a full C+ fare booked this midday flight out of AUS (not a hub).
Two things potentially going on here:

1. Even though you bought a W fare, your priority for upgrades is based on the underlying main cabin fare associated with it. See these other threads:

Diamond Upgrade Priority - Comfort+ vs. fare code

Delta "W" Fare Class Upgrade Priority:

2. Once check-in opens, the upgrade list only shows people who have checked in.

Depending what your underlying fare class was, it may or may not be entirely plausible that 7 more people checked in between when you originally checked in and the following morning to push you down to 8th, and that 3 F seats went away from last-minute purchase or SDC etc.
Old Apr 2, 19, 5:36 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
LAS is not a leisure destination. While some people may go there for leisure, it is very much a business destination, and F seats are purchased accordingly.
On what planet is LAS a business destination outside of convention season (in which I do agree there is a big paid F market for the executives traveling to conventions).

I had a 6 month project there as a consultant back when I flew UA and lived in DC and I cleared as a then 1K and then Plat every single week in both directions
Old Apr 2, 19, 5:43 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex UA 1K & AA EXP
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
On what planet is LAS a business destination outside of convention season (in which I do agree there is a big paid F market for the executives traveling to conventions).

I had a 6 month project there as a consultant back when I flew UA and lived in DC and I cleared as a then 1K and then Plat every single week in both directions
There are probably more conventions there than anywhere else.
Old Apr 2, 19, 7:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
There are probably more conventions there than anywhere else.
I would agree with that sentiment (maybe MCO is close?) but LAS is still chalk full of tourists visiting for holidays and vacations. Definite leisure destination as well.
Per the LVCA there were 42.1 million visitors to Las Vegas in 2018 and only 6.25 million ttended conventions.

https://www.lvcva.com/stats-and-fact...or-statistics/

This matrix show for 2017 that 53.1% of visitors were there for leisure/gambling and only 27.6% for business/convention:

https://assets.simpleviewcms.com/sim...6411854f36.pdf
Duke787 likes this.

Last edited by apodo77; Apr 2, 19 at 7:16 am
Old Apr 4, 19, 8:27 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium / LTG, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by kpbadger View Post
This agent is misinformed -- it used to be this way whereby a FO on a Y fare would be higher than DM on a non-Y fare, but it hasn't been this way for a while now. I'd like to say at least a year (I'm sure someone will correct me).
I could be wrong, but I think the agent was 50% correct.

Y fares DO NOT trump everything else. That was changed a while ago.

However, I think IRROPS bookings DO trump everything else. So the agent was correct the irrops rebooking trumps all, but not because it's a Y fare.
Old Apr 4, 19, 8:30 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium / LTG, Amtrak Select Executive
JFK - LAS cleared with a RUC 15 days out.
LAS-JFK cleared with a RUC at booking

LGA - BNA - cleared 4 days out
BNA-BOS cleared at booking (3 days out)
Old Apr 4, 19, 9:26 am

Programs: DL Diam 2MM, HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
DCA-CVG next Monday cleared 5 days out
CVG-LAX connection hasn't cleared and DL is only selling 1 C seat on the flight, so not likely. FCM is $748. But surprises happen.
Old Apr 4, 19, 9:52 am

I am GM, LAX-HNL Saturday cleared for C+ but several FC open, I called and the agent moved me to FC, she said she was not sure why I was not upgraded since there were plenty of seats open.
I asked about my JFK - LAX flight, 9 Delta One seats still open, no C+ open, I am within the 72 window, and I was told those are going to be gate upgrades. So maybe.....
Old Apr 4, 19, 10:11 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
DCA-ATL
ATL-LAS

Cleared both using a RUC, was clear I was not going to make the upgrade and wanted to watch my team play on Saturday of the NCAA tournament.

LAS-JFK Cleared into D1 using RUC
JFK-DCA Cleared into FC

All legs cleared into C+ at booking.
Old Apr 4, 19, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Been happening a lot to me too, particularly the SLC-SAN or SAN-LAX back and forth. I'll be #1 on the upgrade list 24 hours before with like 4 seats available and then I wake up in the morning and I am still #1 but with 0 seats available. Same thing happened on an ATL-BDA flight a couple weeks ago. I just find it hard to believe that people are paying for the upgrade and there are that many SDCs. Ah well. I am 100% on C+ (though I have moved back when I found out it was a middle seat) and well over 50% on F upgrades in 2019. 42 segments so far and DFW/DAL based.
Old Apr 5, 19, 8:26 am

I didn't see a relevant thread on this and was curious, how has the increased MQD requirement affected the number of DM vs PM? Are there any figures showing that the MQD increase had caused the number of DM's to drop?
Old Apr 5, 19, 11:39 am

I don't think Delta publishes any of those numbers. Certainly they know internally but I haven't seen any leaks.
Old Apr 5, 19, 11:42 am

Any general impressions thus-far? I make Platinum every year (was within about 5k MQM of DM one year) but just don't fly enough to get DM. I haven't really seen a boost in my UG%, but curious if the increase to the MQD for DM has made a difference in bumping some DM who made it off that down to PM?

Search this Thread