Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

FRA-JFK currently booked 767 -- chance we'll fly in something else??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers

Booked multi city JFK-ZUR and FRA-JFK in J in June 2019. Outbound A330-200 and looking forward as I actually haven't been in the reverse herringbone on DL yet (heard mixed things but still always like to try new hard products). Inbound it's the 763 with the Thompson Vantage which I've flown a bunch and find to be really tired. I heard DL was retrofitting the 764s with suites but haven't heard anything about the 763s.

Any chance I'll be flying a different hard product on a scheduled 763 6 months from now??
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Any chance? Sure, some. However, the 763 is the most common Delta widebody and there will be lots of them in TATL service this summer. I wouldn't assume that's just a placeholder for some other aircraft not presently identified.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Any chance? Sure, some. However, the 763 is the most common Delta widebody and there will be lots of them in TATL service this summer. I wouldn't assume that's just a placeholder for some other aircraft not presently identified.
No rumors/plans to refresh or alter the 763s any time soon that I just haven't heard yet??
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I doubt it. FRA is a major *A hub -- especially in summertime with both LH and UA running most of their summer connecting traffic through FRA.

Doubt DL could fill the A330 at reasonable prices.

I also believe the summer schedule has already been announced (thought I saw a thread on here) so switching to the A330 would presumably cause some rework of that schedule which is unlikely
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
No rumors/plans to refresh or alter the 763s any time soon that I just haven't heard yet??
Not by summer. There is a plan to refresh the J product, but not for a few years. Some 764s will be done by summer, but not all. They’re starting with the 777s and 764s, before moving onto 763s and A330s.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Germany(FRA/MUC/STR/DUS)-JFK/DTW/ATL is heavily 763 (for a date in June I checked). There's a 764 on STR-ATL but I wouldn't plan on a refurbed 764, and I wouldn't ditch a non-stop to JFK if that were my destination for STR-ATL-NYC.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrkmsp

Not by summer. There is a plan to refresh the J product, but not for a few years. Some 764s will be done by summer, but not all. They’re starting with the 777s and 764s, before moving onto 763s and A330s.
Does that mean that they're planning on putting the suites in the 763 as well? I don't mean to harp on the issue, and I know plenty of people don't mind the current 763 J configuration, but something about it feels so exposed and open-concept to me. It's almost like having your own row in Y would be cozier, if the "sky couch" was an option back there.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All Delta widebodies are to get the suites by 2021.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1927153-delta-one-suites-coming-entire-wide-body-fleet-2021-a.html?styleid=22
jrkmsp and OhDoctor like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
It's almost like having your own row in Y would be cozier, if the "sky couch" was an option back there.
It is an option (sort of) in that you can buy extra seats for yourself in Y if you want. (You have to call in to do this, though.)

Back to the original question, JFK-FRA has been 763/764 pretty much as long as I can remember. I think an equipment swap is unlikely, unless MX or some other last minute issue.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bennos
It is an option (sort of) in that you can buy extra seats for yourself in Y if you want. (You have to call in to do this, though.)
Right, but that's the Jerry-rigged option, isn't it? The real SkyCouch is seamlessly flat between the seats.

Originally Posted by bennos
Back to the original question, JFK-FRA has been 763/764 pretty much as long as I can remember. I think an equipment swap is unlikely, unless MX or some other last minute issue.
I guess part of me knows it's unlikely. But I also just got surprised recently that an AT JFK-CMN flight in J I'm taking later this year will end up being their new 789 rather than the funky high-low staggered flat seats that I booked, so now I'm getting greedy.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta may have a dozen widebody equipment swaps a day. You can't plan for them - if you get a seat in the paid-for cabin you've done well.

From another internet forum... https://www.airliners.net/forum/view...2633&start=950
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta may have a dozen widebody equipment swaps a day. You can't plan for them - if you get a seat in the paid-for cabin you've done well.

From another internet forum... https://www.airliners.net/forum/view...2633&start=950
Very interesting! I didn't realize, for instance, that the 333 does seem to be in service for some JFK-ZRH routes. To quote Lloyd Christmas.. "So you're saying there's a chance!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.