Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Surprisingly Good Silver Medallion Experience

Surprisingly Good Silver Medallion Experience

Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I've not been thanked by FAs for being a Silver while sitting in C+, but I will say that in my limited experience, I have been happy with C+ and F upgrades as a Silver. As a Silver, I have had C+ with an empty middle seat a few times, which is as good as first and offers drinks, the snack basket, space, etc.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
For the past few years, I have fluctuated between Silver and Gold. I'll be "downgrading" from GM to SM for 2019 (but "carrying over" about 18,500 miles; yes I know I could have done a mileage run, but decided I'd rather take a head start on GM status for next year, and I have a DL Amex card so I get my MQD requirement waived). In the "Silver years", I have been surprised by the frequency of getting upgrades to First. In fact, I think I had a higher percentage of upgrades to F as a Silver Medallion in 2017 than I have had as a Gold Medallion in 2018.

So, I'm not so sure there's some huge advantage to GM vs. SM, especially if you have a Delta Amex card and Pre-Check. I have Pre-Check, so there's no security line advantage. If you have a Delta AMEX card and you're Silver, you get two checked bags, each up to 70 lbs., for domestic travel, and you get one extra checked bag for international travel. That pretty much covers my checked bag needs. I think the only significant "downgrade" is you earn a few less Redeemable miles, you don't get complimentary lounge access when traveling internationally (so, as a DL Amex cardholder, just pay the $29 day rate if it's important to you), and you don't get those "Sky Priority" tags on your bags and accordingly you wait an extra 90 seconds at baggage claim.

Last edited by andrewk829; Dec 31, 2018 at 12:17 pm Reason: clarification
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by andrewk829
For the past few years, I have fluctuated between Silver and Gold. I'll be "downgrading" from GM to SM for 2019 (but "carrying over" about 18,500 miles; yes I know I could have done a mileage run, but decided I'd rather take a head start on GM status for next year, and I have a DL Amex card so I get my MQD requirement waived). In the "Silver years", I have been surprised by the frequency of getting upgrades to First. In fact, I think I had a higher percentage of upgrades to F as a Silver Medallion in 2017 than I have had as a Gold Medallion in 2018.

So, I'm not so sure there's some huge advantage to GM vs. SM, especially if you have a Delta Amex card and Pre-Check. I have Pre-Check, so there's no security line advantage. If you have a Delta AMEX card and you're Silver, you get two checked bags, each up to 70 lbs., for domestic travel, and you get one extra checked bag for international travel. That pretty much covers my checked bag needs. I think the only significant "downgrade" is you earn a few less Redeemable miles, you don't get complimentary lounge access when traveling internationally (so, as a DL Amex cardholder, just pay the $29 day rate if it's important to you), and you don't get those "Sky Priority" tags on your bags and accordingly you wait an extra 90 seconds at baggage claim.
Looks like you're based in SEA; DL's hub there is still very new and they're still trying to convince FFs into defecting from AS. SEA's O/D is still largely dominated by AS, so it's much easier to get upgraded on non-hub routes to/from a new hub. As a GM, I've seen myself rank 30 out of 50 on the upgrade list for a hub route like DTW-SEA, but I've had my upgrade clear 3 days in advance on a route like ORD-SEA. It's much harder to get upgraded into F in more established hubs, but as a SM, I've had this happen (MSP-LGA on a Saturday morning flight 3 years ago).

Personally, I don't really care for the recognition. I care more about what I can get from the airline.
andrewk829 likes this.

Last edited by ab2013; Dec 31, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by koreanair720
Out of 53 segments this year, I think I was thanked by an FA for my medallion status...once? Maybe twice?
Yeah, it's just not common. It's not unheard of, but not common.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by JackFranchino
3. Silver Medallions do get upgraded. Obviously don't go expecting an upgrade to Delta One from LAX-JFK, but I did find myself sitting in Delta Comfort + or First Class for every single eligible flight I flew. Surprisingly, I cleared into First (RU) exactly 24 hours before my DEN-LAX, JFK-DTW, DTW-TVC, and MSP-MKE flights. No stress at the airport staring at the dreaded upgrade list.
It's great you are pleased. I'm sure Delta is happy to see this praise, too. But the reality is very few silvers or golds will have your experience. How many of your comfort-plus seats were middle seats? I would never consider that an upgrade. I typically also decline a window seat in comfort-plus, unless it's a bulkhead, as I would rather have the legroom of an exit row aisle seat.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wimsta
I never carried 3 pieces of checked luggage, but I went around 60 lbs. a few times. The extra allowance is nice.
I used to check two bags on trips longer than 7 days, but I now use the biggest 29-inch suitcase I could find on the market. I can get about 90 pounds in there and still roll it without much hassle. I always feel sorry for Uber drivers who insist on lifting it up into their car without my help.

But, back to Delta, I routinely exceed the weight limit.

In four years as a diamond and two years as a platinum, I've never had a check-in agent ding me for overweight baggage charges, even at foreign out-stations, when flying Delta. I've had KLM hassle me, but I was flying KLM.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite / Delta Platinum / United Silver
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It's great you are pleased. I'm sure Delta is happy to see this praise, too. But the reality is very few silvers or golds will have your experience. How many of your comfort-plus seats were middle seats? I would never consider that an upgrade. I typically also decline a window seat in comfort-plus, unless it's a bulkhead, as I would rather have the legroom of an exit row aisle seat.
They were all windows, except for LAX-JFK which was an aisle.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by ab2013
It's much harder to get upgraded into F in more established hubs, but as a SM, I've had this happen (MSP-LGA on a Saturday morning flight 3 years ago).
If you are looking for upgrades as a lower level elite, isnt the solution just to avoid hub to hub routes and to avoid elite heavy flight times (Monday AM, Thursday evening)? This goes for any airline. To and from LGA this year, Ive been upgraded multiple times as the lowest level elite on both American and Delta. As a SM I was even upgraded to F on an ATL to LGA flight with a companion this year (the flight was the Friday evening after Thanksgiving, but still). For work travel, I always try to fly out on Sunday afternoon or midweek, and I try to fly back Midweek or Friday evening (I can thankafully schedule meetings pretty freely).
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos

If you are looking for upgrades as a lower level elite, isnt the solution just to avoid hub to hub routes and to avoid elite heavy flight times (Monday AM, Thursday evening)? This goes for any airline. To and from LGA this year, Ive been upgraded multiple times as the lowest level elite on both American and Delta. As a SM I was even upgraded to F on an ATL to LGA flight with a companion this year (the flight was the Friday evening after Thanksgiving, but still). For work travel, I always try to fly out on Sunday afternoon or midweek, and I try to fly back Midweek or Friday evening (I can thankafully schedule meetings pretty freely).
Yeah but one doesn't plan vacation days around upgrade chances if traveling for leisure.
andrewk829 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: DL
Yeah but one doesn't plan vacation days around upgrade chances if traveling for leisure.
Speak for yourself!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by dlflyer00

Speak for yourself!

Fair enough but my guess is that the average leisure traveler probably won't optimize for airline upgrades.
andrewk829 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Fair enough but my guess is that the average leisure traveler probably won't optimize for airline upgrades.
The average traveler isn't even eligible for an upgrade, notwithstanding the advice of whatever listicle they read online about to dress for an upgrade.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
I am PM by way of an affiliate (I am Aeromexico Platinum), and my Delta experience has been pleasantly surprising. I did two trips from NY on Delta. One to Charlotte, upgraded (with wife) to business both ways. Flying to ORD got offered earlier flight, which was great as my original itinerary got delayed shortly after. And the few times I have interacted with agents at the counter (they provide supplemental check-in assistance to AeroMexico when things go wrong) they were fantastic, and thanked me for being platinum - something that Aeromexico never does).

That being said, my only odd experience was being #6 on upgrade list for ORD-LGA a day before the flight, then finding myself bumped down to #15 by the time the flight was boarding. Are there really that many Diamond levels on that route? Or was I being bumped in favor of "true" Delta PM passengers? Either way, I am generally pleased by the way they treat their "step-children"
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:15 am

Being the type of person that does not want to be publicly acknowledged, i am fine with not being individually acknowledged. With that said, in lieu of being called out directly, i would appreciate acknowledgment through subtle acts. Example - I was on a flight last week on a reward ticket, my family and me headed out for Christmas in the sun. Sitting in coach, I asked for a club soda and a lime. FA laughed, almost as if to say, we dont have limes back here funny man.... as long as one remembers that status benefits are only realized when you: call the diamond desk, sit in first, board and have an attentive GA, snag the last minute upgrade because of a FC no-show and get retrieved from coach - life is good. Besides those moments, you are one face in a crowd of many and best temper expectations to such. Delta does an excellent job of what matters most, getting from a to b safely, I dont want to lose sight of that as it is far and away, the best thing they can do for me.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by RFNJ
I am PM by way of an affiliate (I am Aeromexico Platinum), and my Delta experience has been pleasantly surprising. I did two trips from NY on Delta. One to Charlotte, upgraded (with wife) to business both ways. Flying to ORD got offered earlier flight, which was great as my original itinerary got delayed shortly after. And the few times I have interacted with agents at the counter (they provide supplemental check-in assistance to AeroMexico when things go wrong) they were fantastic, and thanked me for being platinum - something that Aeromexico never does).

That being said, my only odd experience was being #6 on upgrade list for ORD-LGA a day before the flight, then finding myself bumped down to #15 by the time the flight was boarding. Are there really that many Diamond levels on that route? Or was I being bumped in favor of "true" Delta PM passengers? Either way, I am generally pleased by the way they treat their "step-children"
That could be DM, RUC, and PM with higher fare than you.

I don't know anything about "true" being a factor at all. I've been 4 on the UG list at check in and ended up in the 30's several times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.