FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Regionals offer better service than mainline (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1948251-regionals-offer-better-service-than-mainline.html)

koreanair720 Dec 30, 2018 8:55 pm

Regionals offer better service than mainline

An observation:

I fly quite a bit in the north east corridor; DCA, BWI, JFK, BOS, RDU, etc. I'd estimate those flights are 50/50 mainline versus regional carriers. And almost always, the regionals offer superior service in the cabin over the genuine article.

Case in point: Just did YUL-JFK-DCA. I was in F for YUL-JFK -- very nice service, a PDB, hung our coats, two drinks in flight etc. JFK-DCA, by contrast, was mainline, on an A319. The flight was only five minutes shorter, but there was ZERO beverage service. Not even water. And yes, this goes for F. (And in case you're wondering, there wasn't a bump in flight.)

This was not a unique occurrence. I've noticed often that regional crews totally outhustle their mainline brethren.

Give me an Endeavor CRJ-900 over an A319 on a short hop any day of the week!

ND76 Dec 30, 2018 9:06 pm

I've never experienced a drought in F on a Delta mainline jet on the DCA-JFK route; I can't remember a trip in the past 12 months where I didn't get a PDB and at least one drink aloft (I was 100% on upgrades on this particular route in both directions). However, the seating on a CRJ-900 in F is better than on a 717, where if you are in rows 2 or 3 and the person in front of you reclines you have less than 2 cellphone lengths between your forehead and the back of the seat in front of you. The 319s generally have live TV, which is nice.

I've had some really good crews on regional jets this year, but I've also had some really fine crews on the Big D also. I had a really good year in the air in 2018; let's hope for more in 2019.

The only disappointment I had was that I was at JFK 5 times in 2018, and not once was the T4 Skydeck open.

Lux Flyer Dec 30, 2018 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by koreanair720 (Post 30589984)
An observation:

I fly quite a bit in the north east corridor; DCA, BWI, JFK, BOS, RDU, etc. I'd estimate those flights are 50/50 mainline versus regional carriers. And almost always, the regionals offer superior service in the cabin over the genuine article.

Case in point: Just did YUL-JFK-DCA. I was in F for YUL-JFK -- very nice service, a PDB, hung our coats, two drinks in flight etc. JFK-DCA, by contrast, was mainline, on an A319. The flight was only five minutes shorter, but there was ZERO beverage service. Not even water. And yes, this goes for F. (And in case you're wondering, there wasn't a bump in flight.)

This was not a unique occurrence. I've noticed often that regional crews totally outhustle their mainline brethren.

Give me an Endeavor CRJ-900 over an A319 on a short hop any day of the week!

Yet on my Airbus flight from Chicago to MSP last week, I managed to get 3 round of drink service in the front. For every time someone has a positive experience on a regional and a negative on mainline, someone else can probably give a story of the positive mainline experience but negative regional service they had. Usually crews end up being serviceable, sometimes you get a crew that lays a goose. Whether thats on a regional or mainline, try not to read too much into it. Now if we want to talk about mechanical delays or cancellations, I avoid most regional flights like the plague anymore...

GagaPilot Dec 31, 2018 12:30 am

I actually just booked an F ticket that involves a CRJ 900 on Endeavour. I was debating between the regional into one airport or mainline DL into another. The CRJ900 flight was slightly cheaper and a better schedule for me. Gives me something to look forward to :)

readywhenyouare Dec 31, 2018 12:47 am

I agree that the regional carrier is often better. Twice in a row I did not get a PDB on DAB-ATL and we only got one round of drinks. The flight attendant finally came back around as we were on our final descent and pointed to my empty glass and said "are you finished with this?" and I just replied "well I guess so". They were ATL based. The MCO based flight attendants are always awesome in my experience. I've never missed a PDB with them and they are quick to serve after takeoff.

lost_perspicacity Dec 31, 2018 7:47 am

I seem to get the same level of service on Delta mainline vs Delta Connection.
This is in contrast to AA, which I fly a few times a year, where I find I get very good service on AA mainline and poor on American Eagle flights.

Just wondering, anyone ever see any difference between the different regional carriers?
My fights on Delta regionals are split between SkyWest and Endevor and I've never noticed any difference in service between the two.

JesseRohr Dec 31, 2018 10:17 am

Less free booze on the plane = more bottom line. I have had several flights this year where it feels like I am begging for service. Regional and ML

KDCAflyer Dec 31, 2018 1:19 pm

IME the service on RJs is often more energetic and proactive because the crews are usually younger and less jaded. Of course, it's not completely about age. The best service I ever had was from a senior crew on a TATL ex-MSP.

My point is that for the mainline crews who do lots of domestic turns, the motivation to provide excellent service isn't very strong. They already have their job, and are just running out the clock until they can move to all long-haul flying.

koreanair720 Dec 31, 2018 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 30592444)
IME the service on RJs is often more energetic and proactive because the crews are usually younger and less jaded. Of course, it's not completely about age. The best service I ever had was from a senior crew on a TATL ex-MSP.

My point is that for the mainline crews who do lots of domestic turns, the motivation to provide excellent service isn't very strong. They already have their job, and are just running out the clock until they can move to all long-haul flying.

I agree this probably has something to do with it,

Do the JWD certs do anything for regional employees, by the way?

KDCAflyer Dec 31, 2018 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by koreanair720 (Post 30592475)
I agree this probably has something to do with it,

Do the JWD certs do anything for regional employees, by the way?

Unfortunately no. I send DL an email or tweet the regional operator in place of a JWD.

hockeyinsider Dec 31, 2018 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by GagaPilot (Post 30590362)
I actually just booked an F ticket that involves a CRJ 900 on Endeavour. I was debating between the regional into one airport or mainline DL into another. The CRJ900 flight was slightly cheaper and a better schedule for me. Gives me something to look forward to :)

For what it's worth, I find Sky West's crews better, on average, in first-class on regional flights than Endeavor. For example, my carry-on bag doesn't fit in the bins on the CRJ-700 -- sometimes it's also a tight fit on the CRJ-900, if the bag is heavily packed -- and Endeavor crews never let me put it in the closet. Sky West crews never say "no."

I've flown Delta mainline on the 717 for the short, 1-hour flights between DTW–DCA and DTW–ORD and gotten drinks in plastic cups in first-class. I've never seen Sky West or Endeavor serve in plastic, ever.

diburning Jan 1, 2019 2:16 am

I've found the regionals to be hit or miss. I've been on Endeavor flights where they hung my coat. I've also been on Endeavor flights where the flight attendants completely ignored all of the coats, so I folded my coat, reached up, and stowed it in the overhead bins on the A side that don't fit anything else, meanwhile, all the passengers with suit jackets simply hung them off the seatback in front of them. Same experience with Republic; either hit or miss.

I haven't been on mainline with a coat yet, so I don't have a comparison.

NOLAnwGOLD Jan 1, 2019 2:54 am

I agree in that the regional services are really good and some of my most outstanding have been on regionals. They have a good balance of service, professionalism and overall casual friendliness. It’s not that mainline isn’t potentially good but I prefer the regional service especially on a jungle jet. (Can’t wait to see the CS100!)

Live4Miles Jan 1, 2019 7:52 am

I don't know if I would agree...just 2 days ago I was told by FA on regional that I had to put away my ipad until plane was in the air!

She also didn't dim the cabin lights (night flight) until we after plane started down runway to take off...she actually was announcing that she was turning off the cabin lights and the reading light button...while we were taking off.

The Situation Jan 2, 2019 12:21 pm

I find a lot of the mainline crews with the exception of MSP and CVG based crews (although the latter are a rare occurrence) are increasingly jaded. Most of my regional flying is on CP and OO, which are very inconsistent, and when averaged out I do think mainline crews do provide better service on average. On one regional flight, I will have outstanding service with caring, attentive FAs that really go above and beyond, and the next two flights I walk away scratching my head, thinking wow this is a perfect situation for one of the Bill Engvall here's your sign jokes.