Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RDU check in fiascos

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Looks like last week they were redoing some concrete (or, who knows what they were doing - I couldn't see very well from my seat) and one or more of the gates couldn't be used. My flight arrived a few minutes early on Thursday but the flight leaving our gate was delayed so we had to sit on the tarmac 45 minutes. Grr. (no other options for us to use which is why I mention it looked like a couple of gates were out of commission for the time)
Old May 17, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Looks like last week they were redoing some concrete (or, who knows what they were doing - I couldn't see very well from my seat) and one or more of the gates couldn't be used. My flight arrived a few minutes early on Thursday but the flight leaving our gate was delayed so we had to sit on the tarmac 45 minutes. Grr. (no other options for us to use which is why I mention it looked like a couple of gates were out of commission for the time)
They’ve been slowly resurfacing portions of the foxtrot taxiway and some of the ramp/gate areas for what seems like the past year in addition to runway rehab like someone else noted.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
New TSA Pre-Check queuing procedure at RDU this morning. They have opened more space to the right and with everything new at RDU is was a swing and a miss. Been flying almost every Monday for the past year and today's lots of inexperienced FFs in the TSA Pre-Check line which doubled the usual wait time. Maybe the airlines are giving out Pre-check trials for fliers.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by SYRRDU
New TSA Pre-Check queuing procedure at RDU this morning. They have opened more space to the right and with everything new at RDU is was a swing and a miss. Been flying almost every Monday for the past year and today's lots of inexperienced FFs in the TSA Pre-Check line which doubled the usual wait time. Maybe the airlines are giving out Pre-check trials for fliers.
I thought TSA stopped doing that everywhere?
Old May 20, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by zitsky
My SO and I have GE, our daughter (a minor) does not, yet all three of us had pre-check on our RDU-LGA trip a few weeks ago.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by zitsky
I don't know, lots of people in front of me not sure about shoes, belts, computers, liquids, etc. The non-Pre Check had a shorter wait and the guy behind me and I were talking about this being unusually slow.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
That's disappointing -- hope it goes away. RDU's saving grace has always been the short pre-check line (which has saved me 2x in the past 2 weeks when I wasn't paying attention to time and arrived at the airport within 10 minutes of the boarding door closing)
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
My SO and I have GE, our daughter (a minor) does not, yet all three of us had pre-check on our RDU-LGA trip a few weeks ago.
IME, when having someone with GE and another with no GE in a PNR, the non-GE person also gets PreCheck. Not 100%, but usually.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by tearex
IME, when having someone with GE and another with no GE in a PNR, the non-GE person also gets PreCheck. Not 100%, but usually.
Yeah, I have PreCheck and when the fam travels with me (they do not have PC), they all get it too (which is nice).

Judging by all the sheep who still try to take their shoes off and laptops out in the precheck line, I'm going to guess they are still doing some "random inclusion".
Old May 21, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HDQDD
As a RDU based FTer, I think the RDU DL ramp is either A) understaffed (perhaps due to turnover), B) Not Managed well, or C) both. Things deteriorate quickly when IROPs happen...
I took notice of this a few months ago when our flight into RDU was delayed by 40 or so minutes and our connection time was down to about seven minutes. Fortunately for us, our connection was at the very next gate and we boarded about five minutes before the doors were to close. They did not close on time, maybe ten minutes late, and we were at the window facing the airplane we had just come off. Between the two airplanes, there were a number of luggage carts and tractors to pull them with three or four ramp workers either standing around or sitting and carrying on an animated conversation.

But our bag needed to come the 50 or so feet from one airplane to another and as one of the ramp workers casually moved the belt over to the baggage door of the plane, nobody came to work with him so he did nothing but set the belt in place and walk over to join the others. Needless to say, in the 15 minutes, not one bag came off that plane and we needed to wait for the next day to get our bag.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Plat, AMEX Plat
Now that I'm reading this I'm starting to notice the decline in Delta at RDU, which is my home airport.

Just last week we were delayed 1 hour, which made me have to run at MSP to catch my Honolulu flight, for the airplane not being stocked. I know that probably has to do more with the catering company but it was the first flight of the morning!

Wonder if it has anything to do with the agents all now being Delta employees and not contractors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.