Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RDU check in fiascos

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by zitsky
So 2 hours should be OK then if I can't use a skycap. Some of the stories in this thread were making me worry I'd need more time.
Yes, and it will give you 90 minutes to walk the length of terminal 2 end to end at least twice.

The only time I had issues at RDU was during one of the IT meltdowns in the last couple of years. I fly out of RDU about every other week.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Yes, and it will give you 90 minutes to walk the length of terminal 2 end to end at least twice.

The only time I had issues at RDU was during one of the IT meltdowns in the last couple of years. I fly out of RDU about every other week.
Thanks. In our case we'll visit the small Delta lounge, if time permits.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
It's a nice club, which was expanded not too long ago. Very friendly folks in charge. Enjoy!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Its not so small anymore. The layout isn’t great (to put it nicely), but if you go past the food, there’s a whole other side. Also saw a sign recently that said they’re expanding the bathrooms.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by njf1003
Apparently Delta read this thread as RDU is now showing a 45 minute cutoff for checked bags on that list.
Good. I complained through a couple of avenues though no formal response.

I have no issue with it being 45 min (though am a little baffled why RDU needs 45 min) rather they no longer had it listed as an exception airport online which is where the confusion and annoyance came from
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: DL PM
Two amusing anecdotes related to RDU's check-in, occurring between February and last week.

1. Related to the baggage check cut off time, I thought it was 30 minutes in February and arrived at the Sky Priority line with +40 before departure. The agent tells me that the cut off is 45 min, I don't push it and take my bag (and laptop bag, and ski boots ) through security and gate check. I did look later on delta.com to see whether RDU had a cutoff exception of 45 minutes or more, and it didn't at the time (checked in March). Sounds like the Delta website overlords have rectified the issue and put RDU back on the 45 minute list...Had I known in Feb that RDU wasn't on the list at the time, I would have pushed harder to get my bag checked! Lost a good can of shaving cream in security.

2. Just last weekend - spouse and I were heading to BOS - checked our bags and were pleasantly surprised to receive an upgrade to FC when the agent printed our boarding passes (on thick cardstock, no less!) - somewhat unusual given that I'm a lowly GM these days, but shrugged and headed for the club. I did suspect something might have been amiss with our FC upgrade, as we weren't particularly high on the UG list, nor were there that many seats available. But who am I to argue? Somewhere in the middle of zone 1, we decided to board and as the gate agent scans our tickets, he looks at them and frowns, immediately reaches over to the desk where he had already had our "new" boarding passes printed - back to Comfort+! No matter really, we had the "bulkhead" row on the CRJ and you get a ton of leg room anyway. But, c'mon, who wants an upgrade taken away!? ...in passing as he re-scanned our new boarding passes the gate agent said that the upgrades were processed out of order. Isn't that something the gate agent does anyway and is mostly automated? Why would we have been upgraded out of order? Perhaps the ticket desk agent where we checked our bags moved us by accident?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
2. You could ask DL to follow up to see why you were downgraded. IMO it's unlikely to be a FAM on an RJ, especially as two seats were involved. I wouldn't normally expect to see two GMs get FC upgrades on the RDU-BOS route (elite-heavy business-oriented city pair), but over a weekend, it's not so surprising. You might be eligible for downgrade compensation, although DL might resist since you were only upgraded for a short time. OTOH with such an upgrade, I would have wanted to board early and get a PDB to celebrate, which might have slightly decreased the chance of the downgrade happening.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Two amusing anecdotes related to RDU's check-in, occurring between February and last week.

2. Just last weekend - spouse and I were heading to BOS - checked our bags and were pleasantly surprised to receive an upgrade to FC when the agent printed our boarding passes (on thick cardstock, no less!) - somewhat unusual given that I'm a lowly GM these days, but shrugged and headed for the club. I did suspect something might have been amiss with our FC upgrade, as we weren't particularly high on the UG list, nor were there that many seats available. But who am I to argue? Somewhere in the middle of zone 1, we decided to board and as the gate agent scans our tickets, he looks at them and frowns, immediately reaches over to the desk where he had already had our "new" boarding passes printed - back to Comfort+! No matter really, we had the "bulkhead" row on the CRJ and you get a ton of leg room anyway. But, c'mon, who wants an upgrade taken away!? ...in passing as he re-scanned our new boarding passes the gate agent said that the upgrades were processed out of order. Isn't that something the gate agent does anyway and is mostly automated? Why would we have been upgraded out of order? Perhaps the ticket desk agent where we checked our bags moved us by accident?
While the not getting FC like you briefly thought you did was annoying, consider yourself lucky. You didn't have to do the Walk of Shame onboard and you got decent C+ seats that I presumed you had originally selected. Frequently when someone is upgraded and then downgraded, they've already given away the seats you originally booked and will then place you in whatever is available which often are middle seats way in the back.

Can't explain what the deal was with the desk agent.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Last time I was in RDU, I was 1st of many for 1 F seat on RDU-ATL. Now as a PM with no reserve, I never clear anything with ATL except the 10:30pm ATL-ORD, which I always clear if it's not Thursday night. I happened to mention it to the SkyClub desk person as I was checking in, and I laughed that somebody will change onto it and take it from me. Amazingly, that didn't happen and I cleared it.

I start to head to the gate, and the SkyClub agent sees me and starts cheering! She was legitimately happy that the upgrade cleared, and had printed me a cardstock boarding pass and gave it to me as I left so I wouldn't have to dig my phone out of my jacket to board.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:48 am

Do skycaps accept bags on international flights or domestic flights connecting to an international flight? Or do they only accept bags for domestic flights? Thanks.
IIRC, based on agents checking BPs at the regular bag drop, skycaps only accept bags for domestics. No idea about domestic connecting to international.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
New data point. About 10:45am on a Friday. Totally manageable.

RDU check-in
Old May 17, 2019, 9:47 am

Where did all the people go?
Old May 17, 2019, 10:17 am

Where did all the people go?
Not to Chicago. That flight’s delayed.

EDIT: RDU-ORD delayed 16 minutes. No big deal. But due to the delay, various ground crew (baggage loaders, gate marshals, etc.) that ware scheduled to load our flight went on to other flights so we had to wait for them to be done with them and then come to our gate. That made our delay 36 minutes. I know RDU is a substantial airport, but I didn’t expect it to be so LAX-esque.

Last edited by Oakshadow; May 17, 2019 at 11:35 am
Old May 17, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Oakshadow

Not to Chicago. That flight’s delayed.

EDIT: RDU-ORD delayed 16 minutes. No big deal. But due to the delay, various ground crew (baggage loaders, gate marshals, etc.) that ware scheduled to load our flight went on to other flights so we had to wait for them to be done with them and then come to our gate. That made our delay 36 minutes. I know RDU is a substantial airport, but I didn’t expect it to be so LAX-esque.
As a RDU based FTer, I think the RDU DL ramp is either A) understaffed (perhaps due to turnover), B) Not Managed well, or C) both. Things deteriorate quickly when IROPs happen or when you arrive in the evening and have to wait for a ramp crew to saunter out of the break room. It's a bit worse with the ramp rehab going on now. Their operation is split up, and it takes a while to move airplanes/equipment around the closed gates and taxiways.

They're also rehabbing RWY 5L/23R (except during the CDG/LHR arrival/departure hours), which means most flights are using the other side of the airport (significantly longer taxi times).

Last edited by HDQDD; May 17, 2019 at 1:01 pm
Old May 17, 2019, 1:04 pm

At least it's not snowing! Amirite?
NobleHouse likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.