Wiki Posts
Search

Youngest solo mileage runner?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Youngest solo mileage runner?

I've created some little Delta monsters...latest of which is my youngest daughter (of 4)

She just flew CHA-ATL-CHA to get the additional $68 in spend to maintain FO...at age 15.
Her gate inbound was D44, departing D42 with 90 minutes to make the connection.

My 3rd daughter earlier this year flew to the Galapagos with a school field trip, then solo from Quito down to SCL to go to a wedding of a friend we met in Chile a few years back on a missionary trip....she had just turned 16 and is also FO (that she's keen on maintaining as well)

Most of my daughters seem to have the quest of getting someplace in the world BEFORE I do! All four have over 100k SM and I let them know that they've done all this at an age that's younger that when I had taken my first flight!

Hopefully, there are others of us out there that have traveling families. I find it delightful that we get to travel so much, all over the world at a younger age - so that we have memories that last a lifetime (instead of waiting until retirement to start traveling.)

Happy Holidays to All!

Last edited by BHammy; Dec 29, 2018 at 11:22 am Reason: added word
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At least you don't have to pay UM fees for those MRs.

There was a participant here, cellistoo, with a toddler daughter who really loved flying DL, including cockpit visits and DL wings. I met her at the big DL ATL DO and later saw the whole family in an airport, so I've met the kid and father too. The mother traveled somewhat for business and I would guess was a Platinum for a number of years before the merger, and I think the kid had at least several years of FO status.

There have been threads here on young elites, with the terrible twos not being totally rare. There's also some underage Canadian kid on FT who's a professional musician and did lots of business travel in his late teens, mostly alone. He's probably about 21 now, but had issues with being too young to enter the airport lounges he was entitled to use as a high tier AC FFer.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Dec 29, 2018 at 12:45 pm
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:35 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Back in my college days I always did a mileage run towards the 3rd quarter of the year to maintain status. Most people thought I was crazy, then bullied me when we traveled together and I had my elite privileges.

There was a particular class trip to Asia where we took many TPAC and intra asia KE flights and these were booked in a fare that earned 150% MQM by the university travel agent, so I hit the jackpot on that year since I no longer needed a mileage run to earn Gold status.

Now I'm entering the 30's and although Delta is still my #1 preference, I didn't make an effort to get to 50,000 MQM through a mileage run so I'm dropping from PM to FO. I needed to buy my last flight of the year in F and the price was over 2K for a DC-SDQ flight, ended up booking on another airline in F for less than $800.
BHammy and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I did a run at 19 to qualify for FO for the first time.
BHammy likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:50 am

I did my first mileage run in college at age 20 to hit FO for the first time back before the MQD requirement. I picked the cheapest trip I could find to squeak over 25K miles, which was a roundtrip on a Tuesday so I missed one class for it. Honesty being the best policy, I told my professor why I was missing class. That's when I found out he used to do the same thing on UA before he retired as an executive. He was thrilled!! That put me in his good graces, he told everyone how amazing I was, and business school was really smooth sailing after that!
BHammy likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
before MRing was a thing ...

in the early 1970s I took several of Mohawk's "Weekends Unlimited" for $39 or $49; bought a 21-day "Liberty Fare" for something like $299 on USAir in Dec 1975/Jan 1976 that got me 27 flights around the northeast (started in Ithaca on 22 Dec; went home to DC; left on 27 Dec and visited friends in Chicago, Cleveland, Louisville, NYC, Evansville, and Boston before returning to campus on 12 Jan); also took 15 flights on Eastern between 14-31 Dec 1979 for $399 (SEA-PDX-ATL-MIA-ORD/ORD-SJU/STT-MIA-DCA/DCA-ATL-LAX/LAX-ATL-SJU/STX-MIA-LGA/LGA-ATL-SEA)
LostInTranslation and BHammy like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jrl767
bought a 21-day "Liberty Fare" for something like $299 on USAir in Dec 1975/Jan 1976 that got me 27 flights around the northeast (started in Ithaca on 22 Dec; went home to DC; left on 27 Dec and visited friends in Chicago, Cleveland, Louisville, NYC, Evansville, and Boston before returning to campus on 12 Jan);
I did one of these, too. I started and ended at MSP where I was living -- flew to BOS, TYS, MSY, ORD, DCA, PHL -- and of course through PIT on every leg as I recall.
BHammy likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Not solo but there was a lady on CO who took her 5 year old daughter on trips in order to spend more time with her. IIRC, the 5 yo was a Platinum.

It appears that the PMCO Forum s no longer available so I can't double check the details. I did meet the mother at the last CO Do and she was a delightful person and caring mother who had a job that required extensive travel, mostly TPAC IIRC.
SoroSuub1 and BHammy like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I took my 3-year-old with me to Boston last month on my end-of-year mileage run. I needed 1k miles, and mom was only OK with it if I didn't leave her alone with two kids. So, the 3-year-old came with me. He's got a nice SkyMiles balance, but hasn't made elite status — yet. :-D
BHammy likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA executive club
How do you capture your flights? Do you use a paper flightlog?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.