Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How do most SkyClub visitors get access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do most SkyClub visitors get access?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, the 30,000 MQMs (and rollover) are valuable, even if only as an insurance policy.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I want to make sure I get the extra MQMs, so I'm concerned about spend until it's clear that I'll hit those targets. I don't want any big purchases going to some other card early in the year.
That's fair enough, the post I responded to only referenced not missing out on the RDMs, which struck me as unusual. I'm not actually that familiar with the other benefits of the DL Reserve card.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I burst through the doors and loudly announce I am here, I then proceed to put in my airpods and have several loud conversations with my feet up on the table and shoes off.

That is just me though, and I guess no Sky Club employees have dared challenge my bold entrances to ask if I belong there or not.

It also helps that I wear my DM luggage tag around my neck with a diamond chain.....
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Generally this is how I enter

(if it not skipping to the right part its at the 1:10 part)
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
I did not... ALL my flight are international (my DM give me lounge access in this case).
I admit there will always be exceptions.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I admit there will always be exceptions.
I'm another exception. DM with Reserve and unbranded Plat. No reason for me to choose SC access. There are also plenty of DMs who can expense club memberships/entry fees.

I also put DL tickets on my Reserve card early in the year, at least until I'm sure I'll be hitting the $60k threshold. Usually not a problem, but suppose I spend $10k on DL tickets before I switch over - I'd trade 30k MR for 30k MQM any day of the week. (Yes, I know the opportunity cost isn't exactly that straightforward, but the point is I'm okay with that price for a little extra piece of mind. I also have a CSR and will put other travel expenses on the Reserve even though it means trading 3x UR for 1x DL RDM. The only thing I use CSR for early in the year is places that don't take Amex and car rentals for the primary insurance.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
[QUOTE=gooselee;30765969]I'm another exception. DM with Reserve and unbranded Plat. No reason for me to choose SC access. There are also plenty of DMs who can expense club memberships/entry fees.

DM here: i am one of the lucky ones who's company allows us to expense an airline club membership every year. I expense the regular membership and then use one of my choice rewards to upgrade to an executive membership. I like to be able to bring my wife in with me when we travel together or colleagues traveling with me.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jon_R

i have both Delta Reserve and non branded Plat. I am not sure which one it hits when I scan the boarding pass.
Amex knows you have both. Pretty sure they wouldn't let DL get away with charging them when they know you have the Reserve card.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I burst through the doors and loudly announce I am here, I then proceed to put in my airpods and have several loud conversations with my feet up on the table and shoes off.

That is just me though, and I guess no Sky Club employees have dared challenge my bold entrances to ask if I belong there or not.

It also helps that I wear my DM luggage tag around my neck with a diamond chain.....
... with a pair of those DL Medallion socks on just in case they didn't notice your status otherwise.

You seem to be in half the SkyClubs at ATL at the exact same time that I travel. But sometimes you are a little older, or a little fatter, or you are wearing scrubs barking about how much money you just made off of some unsuspecting hospital.

I use the Reserve card as the extra MQM matters for me and I rarely fly another airline where I might have convenient access to the DL club instead. And the first class companion pass works great if you have enough advance notice, and don't pick too competitive of a route.
vincentharris likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Of course you are strictly speaking correct but I personally find it unbelievable that a DM would not choose Skyclub membership as one of their 3 Choice Benefits
If a DM has a Reserve Card or AmEx Platinum, there's little reason to choose a SkyClub membership, especially with the change that even if one has a SC Membership, they have to be flying DL or a DL partner that day to gain access (same rules as the Reserve and AmEx Platinum). If I were to reach DM, I would NOT choose the SkyClub membership as one of my 3 choices because I don't need it - I already have access via a CC (I probably wouldn't even select the "upgrade to Executive Membership" either). I would venture to say that quite a few reaching the DM ranks already have access to a SC via a DL Reserve AmEx or AmEx Platinum card.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
If a DM has a Reserve Card or AmEx Platinum, there's little reason to choose a SkyClub membership, especially with the change that even if one has a SC Membership, they have to be flying DL or a DL partner that day to gain access (same rules as the Reserve and AmEx Platinum).

I personally see no reason why any person would buy a Sky Club membership with the requirement to be flying DL and the loss of so many partner lounges. I suppose if your company pays for it then that's fine, but I believe that many companies who do this will, alternately, pay the annual fee on a card that provides club entrance. I think DL prefers that people have the cards, which are likely far more profitable than an annual membership.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL DM
Of course you are strictly speaking correct but I personally find it unbelievable that a DM would not choose Skyclub membership as one of their 3 Choice Benefits
Many exceptions as several have pointed out:
• Reserve card holder
• Amex Platinum holder
• Int’l J traveler
• Ability to expense membership
• 360 member
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you can't get one of the right credit cards, for example because you've never beeen a USA resident, it might make sense to get a SC membership if you fly DL a lot since SCs aren't included in PP.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by TommyD2
Won't answer for her, but I would guess it is likely the same reason I have the reserve:
1) MQM boosts
2) BOGO FC ticket
3) Upgrade tie breaker

I agree that 5x versus 2x is better, but I get plenty of miles. I have the reserve for these 3 reasons.
None of these require you to put Delta flights on the Delta Reserve
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by Adelphos

None of these require you to put Delta flights on the Delta Reserve
Aaaah, I got it. Sorry, misread your post as 'why have the Reserve card?' when you actually said 'why charge your DL tix to it instead of the 5x Platinum.'

My mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.