Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How do most SkyClub visitors get access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do most SkyClub visitors get access?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Just a small clarification - the Amex Platinum grants you Sky Club *access*, not Sky Club *membership*. It's a small distinction that is meaningless most of the time, but during times of capacity control, those Amex Platinum users are more likely to be denied access than folks with an actual membership.
Or will status matter? I don't see DL having a policy to deny SC access to DMs with Reserve or AmEx Plat cards now that DMs no longer automatically get SC memberships, and few DMs having such credit card(s) will nevertheless pick SC as a choice benefit just to avoid the chance of being denied entry due to hopefully rare extreme overcrowding.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
oh for the days of the flying colonel when you got in with ALL of your guests
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Zurick
It would be nice if AmEx restricted the platinum card and only allowed the centurian card. Its perks have dropped dramatically
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Maybe there should be some kind of quarterly limit on Amex Platinum admissions, or maybe prices should go up aceoss
the board (membership fees, credit card annual fees, one time passes, etc).

You guys, they just raised the price by $100 a year ago---that was nearly a 25% hike in the annual fee. At $550 a year, or $725 with additional cardholders, it's one of the more expensive cards you can have, setting aside Centurion which is just not an option for the vast majority of people. The idea of restricting Sky Club access in anyway is not going to work, it's just such an important benefit of the card. MAYBE if Amex really builds out a strong network of Centurion clubs this could work one day, but there would have to be many more clubs and they'd need to be not only in Delta heavy airports but in those particular terminals.
ijgordon and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Dec 29, 2018 at 3:07 pm
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
Just a small clarification - the Amex Platinum grants you Sky Club *access*, not Sky Club *membership*. It's a small distinction that is meaningless most of the time, but during times of capacity control, those Amex Platinum users are more likely to be denied access than folks with an actual membership.
Good call! As the next poster said, I wonder if status/co-branded cards would make a difference? I’ve got a Gold DL Amex (which is nothing but gives me the $29 access) too, and have never been denied even at a busy club, but that’s a good call.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:14 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Wait, have platinum card holders ever been denied entry due to capacity controls? I've seen them stop offering day passes and I've seen guest restrictions but never seen platinum or reserve holders denied.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:14 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
oh for the days of the flying colonel when you got in with ALL of your guests
would you also like to go back to the food/bev standards of those golden days?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by pvn
would you also like to go back to the food/bev standards of those golden days?
And lots of smoke, both onboard and off!

Which is funny, since I'm always yearning for th
e good old days. When you got C+ at ticketing, when you could seat your whole family, when you could fly TPAC in first for under 100K, all that...

At least Amex and Reserve entry to SC isn't like PP.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:55 am
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
Originally Posted by pvn
Wait, have platinum card holders ever been denied entry due to capacity controls? I've seen them stop offering day passes and I've seen guest restrictions but never seen platinum or reserve holders denied.
yes
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
yes but at $2000, the black card needs perks the platinum does not have
It would be nice if AmEx restricted the platinum card and only allowed the centurian card. Its perks have dropped dramatically
This is one of those FT statements that drive me nuts. Why does someone else’s benefit mean you get less? Maybe the real issue is that DL doesn’t have enough club space to satisfy all of its customers? How many lounges for AA, UA, and DL have been built and expanded since the massive industry consolidation? ATL is busier than ever, yet space hasn’t kept up with the increase in passengers and flights.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I don't really see that happening. It would cut a large part of the value prop of the card for me, and would require Amex building Centurion Lounges in Delta dominated airports, which for the most part they aren't doing, my guess is by design. I was rather surprised they picked JFK T4 for one of the upcoming lounges since there is already a large SC there, but I guess they think there are enough non-DL flying users to make sense of it.

Based off my purely anecdotal evidence of when I'm checking in, most people seem to get in simply with a scan of a boarding pass, implying a SC membership or Reserve card.
Going forward, we will see more BP only scans. Last week's trip the SLC SC did not swipe my Amex plat. They explained that since the card was in my profile it was linked and no swipe required.

Jim.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by emma dog
This is one of those FT statements that drive me nuts. Why does someone else’s benefit mean you get less? Maybe the real issue is that DL doesn’t have enough club space to satisfy all of its customers? How many lounges for AA, UA, and DL have been built and expanded since the massive industry consolidation? ATL is busier than ever, yet space hasn’t kept up with the increase in passengers and flights.
I mean really, what is the point of those comments, will these people only be satisfied if they are the ONLY person with benefits? It makes no sense. Why don't they just fly private, that is the only way to achieve the exclusivity they are looking for. Perhaps they are just upset they can't afford to fly private.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by jimquan
Going forward, we will see more BP only scans. Last week's trip the SLC SC did not swipe my Amex plat. They explained that since the card was in my profile it was linked and no swipe required.

Jim.
Same thing happened to me in the ATL B Club. I pulled my Amex card out, and the agent said "No need, it is linked in your account"
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Same thing happened to me in the ATL B Club. I pulled my Amex card out, and the agent said "No need, it is linked in your account"
Interesting. I wonder if the link extends to AUs somehow. I would assume not, since I don't think I've ever had to provide Mrs. Lee's SkyMiles # to Amex...so aside from I guess name/address/relationship matching, they wouldn't have a truly reliable way to make the connection.

In fact...how are they making the connection for primary cardmembers? I guess if they're scraping the account connection from the MR transfer function?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It must either be a matter of having used your AmEx card in the past to enter a SC or having it listed as a payment method in your DL FF account. Using the card to pay for the current ticket you're flying should also work, but simply having used the card in the past for some DL transaction shouldn't be enough since AFAIK AmEx doesn't allow merchants to retain such information.
gooselee likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It must either be a matter of having used your AmEx card in the past to enter a SC or having it listed as a payment method in your DL FF account. Using the card to pay for the current ticket you're flying should also work, but simply having used the card in the past for some DL transaction shouldn't be enough since AFAIK AmEx doesn't allow merchants to retain such information.

Delta and Amex are in bed together. I have not checked, but I'm guessing that in the T&C's of the Amex Plat card that cardholders have agreed to such information sharing. I'm actually glad to know about this in case--in case I don't have a card on me for some reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.