Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How do most SkyClub visitors get access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do most SkyClub visitors get access?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
I will add my anecdotal information as well. I get in with $29 access with Delta Gold Amex or STE on international itineraries. But the limited times I have been in the SkyClub in the past couple months (SEA/DTW) it has never been mobbed or even remotely crowded.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Through the Front Door.

I'll see myself out
That's as good an answer as any to a question for which only Delta insiders know the real answer.
MEABFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
What about the fact that DL DMs have SC access as one of their choice benefits? Even though DMs aren't a huge population, the high travel frequency for this group has to result in a not-insignificant level of traffic into the SC system.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by pvn
How are you noticing them? You don't need to swipe a Reserve card like you do a Platinum card.
I didn't mean at checkin – I meant in the Sky Club paying for premium drinks, at the airport, coworker's credit cards, etc. To be clear, I'm not saying the Reserve card has more members overall than the AmEx Platinum; I'm just positing that a lot of Delta frequent flyers choose it over the AmEx Platinum, in part for the MQM boosts.

Most people I see gain access to the Sky Club just scan their boarding pass.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:15 am

OP included SFO, which as I recall is past security on the small concourse with only DL flights as a rule. I would think the mix of Amex Plat users there would be smaller there than in places (ATL C,E,F) where the area is shared for flight departures for other airlines.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Cory6188
What about the fact that DL DMs have SC access as one of their choice benefits? Even though DMs aren't a huge population, the high travel frequency for this group has to result in a not-insignificant level of traffic into the SC system.
A lot of DMs also have the Reserve card. In fact, I suspect that some DMs were complaining that they wanted something other than a SC membership since they already had SC access through some other means (I would guess primarily the Reserve card, but also regular AmEx Plat/Centurion card as well as lifetime membership), which then resulted in making SC membership a choice benefit rather than giving it automatically to every DM.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I will modify my comment about the SEA Sky Club - it was comfortably full, but not “mobbed.” SFO has been very crowded for my late afternoon flights (no seats available anywhere, lines for drinks and food, lines for bathroom, etc). Atlanta, LGA and JFK clubs have been super crowded with food picked over, super lines for everything, etc
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Another big category would be those with the Reserve card.
Hi - is this true? I do not see SkyClub access listed as a benefit for CSR holders - only priority pass. Anyone have any further info on this?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I was rather surprised they picked JFK T4 for one of the upcoming lounges since there is already a large SC there, but I guess they think there are enough non-DL flying users to make sense of it.
Or, because the T-4 Sky Club experiences a lot of over-crowding, maybe Delta asked them to build one there to help relieve crowding? Could be a win for both as having that club in that terminal could attract more cardholders, and DL needs to reduce some lounge traffic there.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Based off my purely anecdotal evidence of when I'm checking in, most people seem to get in simply with a scan of a boarding pass, implying a SC membership or Reserve card.
A boarding pass scan (with no card) can also mean a business class or Sky Team Elite Plus pax, which are probably a large percentage of those.
krazykanuck likes this.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Dec 29, 2018 at 8:56 am
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wish DL would raise the price on those $29 admissions to reduce the crowding ands be merciless about charging for every person. In fact, I wish that animals (other than genuine service animals but including ESAs) were charged as a guest admission. However, I don't expect Santa to grant me either wish belatedly.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
Hi - is this true? I do not see SkyClub access listed as a benefit for CSR holders - only priority pass. Anyone have any further info on this?
What CSR card do I you mean? The AmEx DL Reserve credit card does include SC admission when flying DL the same day. It does NOT include PP.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
We are talking about the Delta Amex Reserve card, not the Chase Sapphire Reserve

That card does seem popular. I have the Platinum Combo (Amex and Delta), and Reserve seems redundant if you have an Amex Platinum.
Taz likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Does “mobbed” mean “too many people to have an entire bank of seats to myself?”

I can count on one hand, well maybe two hands, how many times I’ve been in s SkyClub that was too busy for me to tolerate- meaning virtually no seats and too loud. The biggest culprit is ATL B and JFK T4 during peak times/IRROPS.

As far as access, DM w/Reserve and Guest Pass option...
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos

We are talking about the Delta Amex Reserve card, not the Chase Sapphire Reserve

That card does seem popular. I have the Platinum Combo (Amex and Delta), and Reserve seems redundant if you have an Amex Platinum.
ahhh wasn't aware there was a Delta Amex Reserve card doh! thanks for the info!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What CSR card do I you mean? The AmEx DL Reserve credit card does include SC admission when flying DL the same day. It does NOT include PP.

@MitzEclipse mistakenly (but understandably) thought that "Reserve" referred to the Chase Sapphire Reserve rather than the Delta Reserve card. The CSR does not come with Sky Club access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.