Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How do most SkyClub visitors get access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do most SkyClub visitors get access?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Pittie Pup
I guess it never hurts to ask. I will have my guests retain their original receipts and see what happens at the next SC. I have no problem paying again and having them reimburse me later (a secretly smiling inside knowing I'm earning double miles on the purchase from Delta).

On the other hand, it may not be worth paying to enter at your point of departure if you have a long enough layover to enjoy the club. I don't personally think that Sky Clubs are worth spending $60 on in a day to use.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Based on Amex's announcement today (removing $29 access for Delta AMEX Gold, increasing access fee for Delta AMEX Platinum to $39), I am guessing those Amex day passes make up a significant percentage of visitation
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Based on Amex's announcement today (removing $29 access for Delta AMEX Gold, increasing access fee for Delta AMEX Platinum to $39), I am guessing those Amex day passes make up a significant percentage of visitation
My thoughts as well. Still, its surprising they would cut such a large revenue stream.

Maybe the revenue they've been getting from the $29 swipes is being balanced out by complaints and displeasure from higher-spending DL customers.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Originally Posted by eneq
My thoughts as well. Still, its surprising they would cut such a large revenue stream.

Maybe the revenue they've been getting from the $29 swipes is being balanced out by complaints and displeasure from higher-spending DL customers.
Or perhaps the amount of use and types of customers they see doing that are those they want to encourage to upgrade their card and spend the extra $10. I can absolutely see the types of people who are already paying $29 on a Gold to access sitting there and saying: "Well, shoot, lookit all these extra points and stuff too, might as well upgrade my card and an extra $10/visit isn't too bad."

See also: post-booking upsell success.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
cre95 , Feb 12, 19 2:51 am
Quote:Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Of course you are strictly speaking correct but I personally find it unbelievable that a DM would not choose Skyclub membership as one of their 3 Choice Benefits
Many exceptions as several have pointed out:
• Reserve card holder
• Amex Platinum holder
• Int’l J traveler
• Ability to expense membership
• 360 member
  1. Like
I think this may be true of Flyertalkers, but here in Atlanta I think we have a lot of Diamonds who aren't that into working the system. They just fly all the time for their jobs, and for them this benefit comes with Diamond status. They would see balancing and managing Diamond benefits vs. a bunch of cards, etc., as being too much trouble. (Heck, just about anybody I talk to about this stuff says it's way too complicated.)

Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by eneq

I really believe there are behavior differences between getting in through membership and paying cash. If someone has to pay cash to get in, s/he will definitely make sure to get the money's worth and stay as long as possible.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Guess they listened to this fellow...

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

I wish DL would raise the price on those $29 admissions to reduce the crowding ands be merciless about charging for every person. In fact, I wish that animals (other than genuine service animals but including ESAs) were charged as a guest admission. However, I don't expect Santa to grant me either wish belatedly.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 10:32 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
For me at $29, the skyclub made sense especially if I was going to basically have a meal. Unlikely for me to visit at $39, as I’d probably use the money to get a meal at a restaurant instead. Though DL has probably figured that it’ll lose revenue from people like me but make up for it with the $10 raise in prices.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 6:17 am

Just turned away at ATL in F. Flying Southwest ATL-MEM for $200 cheaper than Delta (albeit with a connection at HOU) but returning this evening on Delta, so have a same-day Delta boarding pass which was scanned. Have access with unbranded AMEX Platinum card. Didn’t fight it, walked across hall to The Club at ATL
Old Oct 2, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by hotturnip
I think this may be true of Flyertalkers, but here in Atlanta I think we have a lot of Diamonds who aren't that into working the system. They just fly all the time for their jobs, and for them this benefit comes with Diamond status. They would see balancing and managing Diamond benefits vs. a bunch of cards, etc., as being too much trouble. (Heck, just about anybody I talk to about this stuff says it's way too complicated.)

but it is not free, rather 1 of the 3 choice benefits you can select.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Just turned away at ATL in F. Flying Southwest ATL-MEM for $200 cheaper than Delta (albeit with a connection at HOU) but returning this evening on Delta, so have a same-day Delta boarding pass which was scanned. Have access with unbranded AMEX Platinum card. Didn’t fight it, walked across hall to The Club at ATL
This is an interesting data point.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
This is an interesting data point.
I was successful doing this a month ago, twice on the same day. Wife and I flew Southwest ATL-DEN-SEA for $176 total (with Companion Pass), then later that day SEA-ANC for 7k Skymiles each. Used the Sky Clubs in ATL and DEN with our SEA-ANC Delta boarding passes and AMEX PLAT unbranded cards already in the system.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ryw
For me at $29, the skyclub made sense especially if I was going to basically have a meal. Unlikely for me to visit at $39, as I’d probably use the money to get a meal at a restaurant instead. Though DL has probably figured that it’ll lose revenue from people like me but make up for it with the $10 raise in prices.
Yeah same here. I've used the $29 Amex entry a few times and it's worth it to get a sandwich and a drink. At $39 though I'd probably just go to a restaurant instead.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dmbolp
The problem in not fighting it, those agents are now reinforced in the idea they were correct. (When of course they weren't)
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The problem in not fighting it, those agents are now reinforced in the idea they were correct. (When of course they weren't)
She was the only person at the desk, I said "I have a same day boarding pass on Delta for later today"...what else was I to do?

And if it's based on a scan of the barcode, it seems systemic to me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.