Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is the first B764 en-route to CAN for mods?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite

I had read elsewhere that N828MH would be the first B764 sent to CAN for the D1 Suites etc mods in January, but I see that N829MH is heading there now, so perhaps this will be the first.

UPDATE....According to a poster on another forum, the first to be modded will still be N828MH next month, and N829MH has gone to CAN for a mx check!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N829MH

Last edited by audidudi; Dec 28, 2018 at 12:47 pm Reason: Updated the thread.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Two questions here
1. Why do they send them all that way for MX checks, I thought Delta had the capability to do this?

2. Why not just do the Mod since this plane is already there? Seems like a waste of man hours and fuel.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by estedman
Two questions here
1. Why do they send them all that way for MX checks, I thought Delta had the capability to do this?
Most airlines do not conduct their own "C" or "D" checks. See below (from Wikipedia):

Aircraft maintenance checks
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
AA used to service Delta's 772 fleet. I'm not sure if that is still the case or not. They used to outsource some maintenance to a facility in Mexico as well. The Asian facilities do a fantastic job though.

I'm surprised they are updating the 767's. They've got a ton of new A330's coming and no expansion plans.

Last edited by readywhenyouare; Dec 28, 2018 at 7:20 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta has 21 764s, and the oldest isn't yet 19 years old. Of course they're getting mods. 25 year-old 757s and A320s got mods.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta has 21 764s, and the oldest isn't yet 19 years old. Of course they're getting mods. 25 year-old 757s and A320s got mods.
It just seems that management highly prefers the A330 and with so many on order they're going to have to go somewhere. And like I said, there are no current international expansion plans aside from a hypothetical return to BOM. And that would have to be done by a 777 or 350. I bet United would be glad to buy the 764 from Delta. United has picked up some used 767's from Hawaiian to fill the void until the 797 arrives. It could be a lucrative deal for both airlines. United gets an immediate increase in international capacity and Delta can further simplify their widebody fleet.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

It just seems that management highly prefers the A330 and with so many on order they're going to have to go somewhere. And like I said, there are no current international expansion plans aside from a hypothetical return to BOM. And that would have to be done by a 777 or 350. I bet United would be glad to buy the 764 from Delta. United has picked up some used 767's from Hawaiian to fill the void until the 797 arrives. It could be a lucrative deal for both airlines. United gets an immediate increase in international capacity and Delta can further simplify their widebody fleet.
What indicates that Delta prefers the A330 over the 767? Boeing no longer sells 767s.. are you saying Delta should have ordered non-existent 767s over A330s?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ethernal
What indicates that Delta prefers the A330 over the 767? Boeing no longer sells 767s.. are you saying Delta should have ordered non-existent 767s over A330s?
Boeing most certainly still builds the 767. But that's beside the point. Delta has stated several times how much they like the A330. And they've got over 30 of them on order. I'm just wondering where they are going to go if Delta isn't planning on shedding 767's.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Boeing most certainly still builds the 767. But that's beside the point. Delta has stated several times how much they like the A330. And they've got over 30 of them on order. I'm just wondering where they are going to go if Delta isn't planning on shedding 767's.
Nope Boeing doesn't build passenger 767s anymore and hasn't delivered one for a couple of years (though was rumored to be in the works last year paired with a massive UA order).

From March:
"Bringing back the 767 passenger airplane – I just don't see it," says Randy Tinseth, vice-president of marketing at Boeing Commercial Airplanes
And regardless why does DL have to telepath expansion plans today for planes (A330neos) that they haven't received yet. They run a business, clearly they think that refurbing the 764s is a smart decision or they wouldn't do it.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Duke787
Nope Boeing doesn't build passenger 767s anymore and hasn't delivered one for a couple of years (though was rumored to be in the works last year paired with a massive UA order).

From March:

And regardless why does DL have to telepath expansion plans today for planes (A330neos) that they haven't received yet. They run a business, clearly they think that refurbing the 764s is a smart decision or they wouldn't do it.
Boeing will still build a passenger 767-300ER. They would have done it for United if the math had made since for them. All of the tooling is still present. Boeing cannot build another 767-400 as the avionics supplier has stopped making the equipment. I'm not sure why you are denying this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

It just seems that management highly prefers the A330 and with so many on order they're going to have to go somewhere.
You really ought to look at the age of the 763s before assuming 339s will replace 764s. DL publishes fleet size by type, with average age, in 10-Q and annual SEC filings. Oldest aircraft by type can be found on free sites like planespotters.net.

Directly from a press release announcing the conversion of some 359 orders to 339s:

Delta plans to retire older Boeing 767-300ERs in the years ahead as the aircraft reach the end of their serviceable life cycle.

https://news.delta.com/delta-orders-...easured-growth
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Boeing will still build a passenger 767-300ER. They would have done it for United if the math had made since for them. All of the tooling is still present. Boeing cannot build another 767-400 as the avionics supplier has stopped making the equipment. I'm not sure why you are denying this.
What am I denying? I presented you with a quote from this past March from a Boeing VP stating on the record that he doesn't see them building passenger 767s again.

Unless you work for Boeing or have a quote more recent from their CEO stating otherwise, I'd say that's a pretty definitive statement about Boeing's current view on building passenger 767s -- whether you want to believe it or not. They believe most customers can refurb and reuse their existing 767s until the NMA plane arrives and are focusing their resources on that and the 777X

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN1GH311
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Duke787
What am I denying? I presented you with a quote from this past March from a Boeing VP stating on the record that he doesn't see them building passenger 767s again.

Unless you work for Boeing or have a quote more recent from their CEO stating otherwise, I'd say that's a pretty definitive statement about Boeing's current view on building passenger 767s -- whether you want to believe it or not. They believe most customers can refurb and reuse their existing 767s until the NMA plane arrives and are focusing their resources on that and the 777X

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN1GH311
If a customer throws a full sticker price request for a 763ER at Boeing, they will build it. And why get upset with me? The person I quoted said that the 767 is out of production and that is not true. Why didn't you correct them?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

If a customer throws a full sticker price request for a 763ER at Boeing, they will build it. And why get upset with me? The person I quoted said that the 767 is out of production and that is not true. Why didn't you correct them?
Being willing to build it for lots of money and currently in the process of building them are two very different things.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:58 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
This could've been a lovely on-topic debate about the economics of different airframes and maintenance/refurb v useful lifetime mathematics, yet all I see is a bunch of babies crying "you're wrong, I'm right"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.