Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any success checking 40" LCD TV on Delta domestic in box without charge? GM

Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

I have a 40" LCD TV in box that I would like to bring home with me. Officially, the dimension total is 72" which is above the maximum of 61". Obviously it's shaped like a TV box. It is under 50#.

I'm a delta GM.

The TV is only worth $50-100, so it's not worth paying $200 to check it. If I can't check it, it's going to charity or the garbage.

What are the odds I will successfully check this at thegate check in counter without any additional charge?

I am ready to let it go if I don't successfully check it. Will Delta dispose of it for me or let me leave it by a trash can if they try to charge at ORD?

Last edited by johndoe123; Dec 27, 2018 at 4:17 pm
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:04 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
how are you going to check it at the gate? You would have to get it to the gate first, and I doubt the box is going to fit through the x-ray machine.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:06 pm
pvn
Suspended

Also, if they tell you that you can't check it without paying the $200 oversize fee, what's your plan? You can't just drop it in a garbage can. If you leave a large box just sitting in the ticket lobby you can expect a visit from the airport police.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't try this at the GATE as it will not fit into an overhead bin or closet and is extremely large for gate checking, but TSA is unlikely to let you through airport security with a TV that won't fit through their X-ray machines for carry on bags and other carry on sized items.

IMO your best chance is to try to check the TV curbside with a nice tip, but not every airport does curbside checkin. Can we assume that this is a domestic itinerary?

Do you have appropriate protective packaging materials for the TV?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Not helpful but you can get a decent brand and brand new LCD TV for under $200 these days.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the error in my question. I would be checking this at the check in counter (not the gate).
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't try this at the GATE as it will not fit into an overhead bin or closet and is extremely large for gate checking, but TSA is unlikely to let you through airport security with a TV that won't fit through their X-ray machines for carry on bags and other carry on sized items.

IMO your best chance is to try to check the TV curbside with a nice tip, but not every airport does curbside checkin. Can we assume that this is a domestic itinerary?

Do you have appropriate protective packaging materials for the TV?
Domestic; original factory box (so yes).
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
Also, if they tell you that you can't check it without paying the $200 oversize fee, what's your plan? You can't just drop it in a garbage can. If you leave a large box just sitting in the ticket lobby you can expect a visit from the airport police.
That's part of the question. Obviously it's easy for other contraband (I've left liquids, food, clothes, and other assortment of over-weight invaluable items near trash cans), but never a TV.

Ideally someone wants it, but the logistics may kill this idea. It's worth $50-100, its essentially a new TV. It's not worth $200.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by johndoe123
Sorry for the error in my question. I would be checking this at the check in counter (not the gate).
As I stated above, IMO your best bet is to avoid going inside to the counter and dealing with DL agents if you can give a tip/bribe to a skycap doing curbside checkin.
wxman22 and lowmiles like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:30 pm
pvn
Suspended

yeah I agree, skycaps are the least likely to be rules sticklers, especially if they get a good tip. If you're able to get it by them successfully you should be golden.

Also, if they do stop you from checking with it, they'll probably be happy to take it off your hands.

Is someone bringing you to the airport? That would be the best plan B, let them deal with it if you can't get it onto the plane one way or another.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Put a blue or green vest on it and call it your therapy tv.
Psyduck1, Gig103, manacit and 7 others like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:22 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
If you're leaving from PIT, could you kindly PM me your departure date & time???

I forgot . . . . You said ORD.

infinityplusone and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by davetravels; Dec 27, 2018 at 5:28 pm
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:06 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
This question comes up more frequently than i would have guessed:

https://www.google.com/search?q=chec...Aflyertalk.com

Seems like it's not impossible. Either way it'll make a good story
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Just buy a tv at your destination and donate it to charity when your done with it
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by pvn
.............. You can't just drop it in a garbage can. If you leave a large box just sitting in the ticket lobby you can expect a visit from the airport police.
Absolutely.

If you abandon a box this size the police with be called. A wide area around the box is likely to be cordoned off while they ascertain the contents, inconveniencing and possibly delaying other passengers.

I was at MSP once when someone forgot a backpack airside and left it sitting in the mall area not far from the F/G SkyClub. A wide area was cleared both airside, where the backpack had been left, and outside in the section of ticketing on the other side of the wall, which was most of the Delta checkin area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.