Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any success checking 40" LCD TV on Delta domestic in box without charge? GM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any success checking 40" LCD TV on Delta domestic in box without charge? GM

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:37 am

I would think it would be fine. I have regularly checked a ladder in a bag with dimensions of 40x24x6 and never had an issue. I have also checked skis many times which would obviously exceed this size limit. Is there a caveat for sports gear in a bag? I have successfully checked my ladder at SEA (my home base, many many times), PDX, GEG, FAI, ANC, DEN, FLL, IAH, EUG and never had an issue. I honestly never even considered I might have an issue until reading this thread. I am a PM, but some of these were back when I was GM.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
No sense putting in trash. Just give it to the agent and say "Merry Christmas".

No way I would even be taking a chance on this.

but, if you do and fail... give it to somebody.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - You say "officially" the dimensions are 72". What does that mean? Are the dimensions 72"? If you were an inch over, DL might not care. But, at 72", this may become a problem and you should plan on paying the oversize fee or having a Plan B for disposing of the item which does not involve abandoning a large box at a secure airport.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
UPS ground?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO your best chance is to try to check the TV curbside with a nice tip, but not every airport does curbside checkin. Can we assume that this is a domestic itinerary?
Agree!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
UPS ground?
This would probably cost close to or possibly over $200.

OP - I recently saw someone check a TV at SKY at JFK T4.

The DM line had told me no TVs a few years ago, so I chatted the agent up and he said they accept up to 50 inch TVs. The passenger checked his TV without incident inside.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by guam17
I would think it would be fine. I have regularly checked a ladder in a bag with dimensions of 40x24x6 and never had an issue. I have also checked skis many times which would obviously exceed this size limit. Is there a caveat for sports gear in a bag? I have successfully checked my ladder at SEA (my home base, many many times), PDX, GEG, FAI, ANC, DEN, FLL, IAH, EUG and never had an issue. I honestly never even considered I might have an issue until reading this thread. I am a PM, but some of these were back when I was GM.
Is a ladder sports equipment? It could be helpful to a hunter or to someone trying to watch a golf event, for instance.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:15 pm

I was watching one of the National Geographic shows and CBP thought that checking a TV was rather suspicious. Turns out people try to transport drugs in them IME, counter agents have been very lenient with medallions (even when I was FO). If it is fully up to them, they will probably (but no guarantee) let it slide. You will probably need to sign a waiver though. The issue you have is if the box is too large for TSA's scanning machines, at which point it might force the agent's hand to tack on the extra fee - a TV will definitely receive some extra attention.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta, United
As electronics it will have no coverage in case it is damaged.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is a ladder sports equipment? It could be helpful to a hunter or to someone trying to watch a golf event, for instance.
I don't know, I more meant that in reference to skis (my ski bag violates the size requirement on length alone). They almost always ask what my ladder bag is, and I always tell them it is a ladder I use for work (the bag I use is actually for a TV). Their response is usually just something along the lines of "damn, you fit a ladder in that?!" and they let me know they aren't responsible if it breaks. No other issues though.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Reminds me of this early B6 commercial:

BeanTownBoy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.