$82 to platinum

Old Feb 19, 19, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by bmoeller1 View Post
I just received another "Elevate Your Status" email, this time with an expiration of February 28, 2019.

$999 for the lowest redemption rate which gets me my measly $82 MQDs

What happens to my rollover MQMs?

I really want Platinum and am close to doing this. Tell me why I shouldn't please!
I can't tell if this is serious or not (that's not a swipe - it's just hard to tell on an individual level since we see sarcastic posts and serious posts for people in similar situations):
Your rollover MQMs go away I imagine. If you plan to travel significantly this year and will be able to get to PM with the current rollover and planned/forecasted travel, you will be able to gain more than one year out of PM (the remainder of this calendar year from whenever you hit PM, all of next year, and January 2021).
The only way I'd even remotely consider this is if you have any award bookings and you were planning to continually play with them (that $150 per award redeposit waiver is an awesome PM/DM benefit that I have taken full advantage of many times). Otherwise, save the $999, put it towards a mileage run or nice trip to hit PM this year, and get a longer time-value out of PM status in 2020.
DeltaFan4Now and Duke787 like this.
Old Feb 19, 19, 6:53 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
Your rollover MQMs go away I imagine.
If I'm following correctly, OP currently fell short of PM MQDs and therefore is GM with ~26k rollover. I would think then, that if he bought up, he would lose the difference between GM and PM, i.e. DL would claw back 25k worth of rollover. But, he'd also have whatever additional MQMs come from the buy up offer.

It still may not be a great idea, as you point out, depending how much value the benefits have.
Old Feb 19, 19, 9:11 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLTAM
If you aren't going to make the MQD, spending the least amount should be the bragging rights. Not the closest to the next threshold.
Old Feb 19, 19, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
I can't tell if this is serious or not (that's not a swipe - it's just hard to tell on an individual level since we see sarcastic posts and serious posts for people in similar situations):
Your rollover MQMs go away I imagine. If you plan to travel significantly this year and will be able to get to PM with the current rollover and planned/forecasted travel, you will be able to gain more than one year out of PM (the remainder of this calendar year from whenever you hit PM, all of next year, and January 2021).
The only way I'd even remotely consider this is if you have any award bookings and you were planning to continually play with them (that $150 per award redeposit waiver is an awesome PM/DM benefit that I have taken full advantage of many times). Otherwise, save the $999, put it towards a mileage run or nice trip to hit PM this year, and get a longer time-value out of PM status in 2020.
Not a sarcastic post, but the validation I need. I do have an award ticket or two that I probably will tinker with, but I will just ride it out and earn PM the right way.

Now how to get by the MQD requirement
Old Feb 19, 19, 11:42 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Not a sarcastic post, but the validation I need. I do have an award ticket or two that I probably will tinker with, but I will just ride it out and earn PM the right way.

Getting by the MQD requirement is the easiest part. A DLAX Platinum or Reserve card waives MQD up to PM with just $25K spend in a given calendar year. Thatís stupid easy.
Old Feb 20, 19, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by TheHorta View Post
Getting by the MQD requirement is the easiest part. A DLAX Platinum or Reserve card waives MQD up to PM with just $25K spend in a given calendar year. Thatís stupid easy.
Don't you get the waiver with the gold card as well, or did this change? Either way, I can understand people not wanting to put spend on cards with such garbage earning rates.
Old Feb 20, 19, 1:12 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Yes, the Gold card offers it...but as noted, the earning situation is questionable. At least with the Platinum/Reserve cards, there are bonus RDMs and MQMs thrown in as well, which help take the edge off otherwise-lousy earn rates (basically, $30k/yr on the Reserve gets you a bonus of 15k RDMs, so there's a sweet spot there of 1.5 miles/dollar plus 15k MQMs; this replicates at $60k as well).

In general, the value of Platinum (versus Gold) really depends on your spending patterns. If you're in the WFBF camp, it's probably close to useless (at least, in my view). If you're banking on upgrades, that's another story entirely.
Old Feb 20, 19, 6:44 am

Programs: DL Diam 2MM, HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Strategic booking on partners.
JFK/LAX to many Asia destinations on MU for $2200-2600 in business.
Recently ended LAX-BKK on KL for $2100 in business.
Have to watch for them.
Old Feb 20, 19, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mot29 View Post

Strategic booking on partners.
JFK/LAX to many Asia destinations on MU for $2200-2600 in business.
Recently ended LAX-BKK on KL for $2100 in business.
Have to watch for them.
But then you need to actually fly on MU and connect in mainland China.
Old Feb 20, 19, 7:59 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 GM
I just received another "Elevate Your Status" email, this time with an expiration of February 28, 2019.

$999 for the lowest redemption rate which gets me my measly $82 MQDs

What happens to my rollover MQMs?

I really want Platinum and am close to doing this. Tell me why I shouldn't please!
You'll lose rollover, but I would call.

When I spoke with someone, different issue, she said "let me see how close you were, I might be able to bump you up."

I would think that would be close enough.

If you need to blame the government shutdown for not taking one last flight, do it.