Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Checking bags through on separate tickets (connecting one-way flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent

I just booked a one-way international business class ticket back to the states on Delta using Virgin miles, and want to buy an additional one-way ticket to get me all the way home. (The price differential for the domestic leg with miles wasn't worth it.)

If I buy that second ticket on Delta, what are the odds of my being able to check the bag all the way through for free? I might otherwise take a different airline.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by whicuz
I just booked a one-way international business class ticket back to the states on Delta using Virgin miles, and want to buy an additional one-way ticket to get me all the way home. (The price differential for the domestic leg with miles wasn't worth it.)

If I buy that second ticket on Delta, what are the odds of my being able to check the bag all the way through for free? I might otherwise take a different airline.
Nonzero odds, but given that you'll anyway have to collect your bag at your US point of entry and re-check, why does through-checking matter?
jalves likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Nonzero odds, but given that you'll anyway have to collect your bag at your US point of entry and re-check, why does through-checking matter?
I currently have no status with Delta and don't want to pay to check the bags. Since I'm going on a ski trip I will probably have a fair amount of stuff.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Sorry. Wrong thread.

Last edited by monitor; Dec 24, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Should be no issues .
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
That is only true if one is not entering through a Pre Clearance station. If a Canadian ski trip, a very good chance that he would be Pre Cleared and handled as a domestic passenger on arrival in the US.

While not relevant here because DL will check across its own tickets, there can be a significant difference at some locations between bags which are rechecked and thus require waiting in a line post-CBP and those already tagged to their final destination which need only be dropped with no appreciable line to do so.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Maybe not a big deal, but in case of IROPs with split tickets you are better off on a single airline. Though DL has no formal policy of protecting you on a separate ticket, all reports indicate that they will do so.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Any answers are suspect.

Where are you flying from?

Chances are you have to get your bags on arrival, but that is unknown since you did not indicate cities.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: DL Million Miler
I flew Delta ORD-DTW-LHR and then same day, separate KLM ticket, LHR-AMS-HAM this fall . At check in at ORD I asked the Delta rep to 'interline' my bags ORD-DTW-LHR-AMS-HAM and showed him the KLM record locator for the KLM separate ticket. He did this fast, and without raising an eyebrow, and the bag tags showed ORD-DTW-LHR-AMS-HAM.

The key is to inform the agent at check-in of the continuing Skyteam connection, and provide a print-out or other documentation of the continuing Skyteam segments - - hopefully the agent at your origination will be savvy to this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
the rules state no. You can only check to where the ticket says. If two tickets, you have to go out to main checking and recheck. Not sure about international after customs.
Some agents will try to help but your bag getting lost increases
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zurick
the rules state no. You can only check to where the ticket says. If two tickets, you have to go out to main checking and recheck. Not sure about international after customs.
Some agents will try to help but your bag getting lost increases
DL rules clearly state otherwise. DL will check across tickets policy on at least DL, AF, KLM, AZ, AM, MU, WS, VA, VS, and 9W. Any other is outside policy, but is worth asking as it is likely an agent will be willing, especially if it's a ST airline.
MSPeconomist and bubbashow like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

I'm going HND->MSP, then MSP->NYC (?).

Checking bags through and access to the lounge in MSP is one factor, weighed against the free extra legroom seats I'd get booking on United (where my Gold status is expiring). Clearly I need more loyalty...
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP

Checking bags through and access to the lounge in MSP is one factor, weighed against the free extra legroom seats I'd get booking on United (where my Gold status is expiring). Clearly I need more loyalty...
Coming from HND you will need to collect your bags at customs and then drop them back off before re-clearing security. However, I would say you will still save yourself some hassle (with lines) having them checking your bag through to NYC, so you can just drop it back off with recheck instead of waiting for a new bag tag. I would recommend printing out a copy of your MSP > NYC itinerary for check-in and make sure you let them know your final destination is NYC and show them the second ticket - you shouldn't have any problems.

Worst case, you can just re-check it in MSP.

Delta's actual policy on it is here: https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the pointers - the Delta agency reference site is a great resource.

I ended up booking a second ticket with United because I have status (extra legroom means a lot to me!) and a large credit from a cancelled trip. Hopefully the three hour layover won't somehow become too short.

Last edited by hkcj; Jan 3, 2019 at 9:41 am Reason: Adding more detail
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

If you're contemplating a DL to UA "connection" (on separate tickets) at MSP, you won't be able to check the bag through and moreover, only DL staffs the service counters at MSP that you see after exiting customs. You would need to act like an arriving passenger (going down to baggage claim level) and then go up to departures level and check the bag at the UA counter before going through TSA airport security.

With a DL flight on the separate ticket, of course DL will check the bag through (it's in the rules and even contract airport staff in Japan seem to be competent on stuff like this) unless you have a very long connection at MSP. You'll need hard copies of both tickets and both PNRs when you check in.

For lounges, in addition to the two SCs there's a small UA lounge, a lounge (Escape) for AmEx cardholders, and a PP lounge that resembles a sports bar (and pro sports shop) but you can use your PP card to get F&B vouches for airport restaurants IIRC.

Do you have SkyTeam status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.