Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Some Delta passengers are going to spend Christmas near the North Pole

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some Delta passengers are going to spend Christmas near the North Pole

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:27 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
https://www.alaskapublic.org/2018/12/24/delta-flight-from-beijing-to-seattle-diverted-to-aleutian-island/

Details on who DL sent with the plane
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Threads like this, and the Cold Bay one a while back and the Ascension Island one a few years ago and especially the Goose Bay diversions (my Dad spent a couple of cold winters at Goose Bay AFB in the mid 50's) get me thinking "Way cool, I'd love that sort of adventure." Then I think about how upset I was when my LGW-MSP flight (a long time ago) got diverted to FAR because of a thunderstorm at MSP then I realize I probably wouldn't handle it well Or when I end up at SNA rather than LAX.

Good job by Delta getting everything handled.
davetravels and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Anyone know why DL35 that N1603 operated on was delayed almost 2 hours?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by wlau
Anyone know why DL35 that N1603 operated on was delayed almost 2 hours?
Looks like they are scrambling with the MX of one aircraft and use of another aircraft to go back and forth to the Aleutians. DL 34 today was operated by the same aircraft that did DL 35, and left SEA for CDG with a 4-hour delay. It should get easier tomorrow now that the rescue plane is back in SEA.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Ok, it’s not that close. But it’s certainly as desolate. DL128, which I’ve taken from PEK to SEA, diverted to SYA — Shemya, Alaska. There’s a rescue flight en route, but boy is that desolate. The last time a Delta flight diverted to an Alaskan island, they had to fly a deicing truck in from MSP. ...
Originally Posted by BenA
... Now we just need to get DL to unretire the Connie and base it out of Seattle - for my money, the most beautiful commercial aircraft ever designed.
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Agreed. Notice my handle. My all time fave flight.
missed this thread earlier; just saw a blurb in the Seattle Times app about the diversion ... I’ll second (well, third) those votes for the Constellation!
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:05 am

Poor people... I've been to Shemya once. It's basically a runway, two hangars, three or so buildings (offices, barracks and services). The store was super expensivery, they had a nice gold simulator in the gym. Considering what favilifaci are located on the island (a 100+ foot early warning radar and a submarine communication station), I imagine that paxlvements arluar the island were ratively restricted.
Geogirl1234 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:23 am

What is Alaska flying to Adak? IIRC, they retired the use of their combination cargo and pax aircraft. The flight flies TSA with them because none are stationed there.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adak,_Alaska
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by amanuensis
What is Alaska flying to Adak? IIRC, they retired the use of their combination cargo and pax aircraft. The flight flies TSA with them because none are stationed there.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adak,_Alaska
I believe AS flies the 738/9 to ADK now.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:37 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
During the cold war, Shemya was no-go for civilians but had scheduled service operated by Reeve Aleutian Airways using Lockheed Electras which were briefly replaced by some clapped out 727s before RAA went under in the mid-80s.

The USAF people and civilians stationed there called it "The Rock;" unlike Adak (where the Reeve flights stopped en route) there was no dependent housing at Shemya; it was reportedly considered one of the worst duty postings in the whole air force, up there with stations in Greenland. I landed there once on a (long, long) diversion from Cold Bay to Anchorage - apparently there was a medical case or some such which I don't recall - but we weren't allowed off the plane. LOTS of antennas on the ground was all that I could see.

Shemya was the easternmost populated place in one of the United States.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
One of the justifications used to continue funding for the air station is that it provides a diversion point within the ETOPS requirements for commercial air traffic. DOD does not consider the station supportable solely for its military mission.

Carriers which perform the TPAC routes all have plans in place to perform a rescue flight. DL is known to be particularly adept at these and to have thought through what will be required.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
I wonder if Delta will have to pay for the use of the air station for the divert (my guess is yes) and if so, how much.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Often1
One of the justifications used to continue funding for the air station is that it provides a diversion point within the ETOPS requirements for commercial air traffic. DOD does not consider the station supportable solely for its military mission.
I would be interested to see a reference on your statement. The mission at SYA includes an important early warning radar (Cobra Dane) and a missile defense data terminal.

SYA is a lousy divert airport. It does have a long (10,004 foot) runway, but weather is undependable and support flights from EDF are often cancelled due to fog or winds.

Still, diverts do happen such as in 2010 and 2015:

Incident: Cathay B773 near Shemya on Jul 29th 2015, smoke on board

https://www.netairspace.com/forum/vi...hp?f=13&t=7975

Figure 3. Boeing-Conducted Airport Safety And Operational Assessments

Having been to both, I would far prefer to divert to CDB than SYA, Cold Bay is closer to the rest of the country, and is civilian and so you can have the run of the town such that it is. At SYA, you would have military guards and the weather starts at bad and goes down from there.

For anyone who wants to go to Attu, there are the occasional bird or military history tours and even cruises from Japan. The cruises from Japan are rather pricey:

https://www.silversea.com/other-reso...tu-island.html

Zugunruhe Birding Tours

https://www.valortours.com/tours.html (Tour planned for 2020.)
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
This one brings back memories. I was never stationed at Shemya, but I passed through there and Adak quite a few times in the old days.

I can safely say that the diverted passengers ran out of interesting things to see and do on Shemya in short order.

wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Having been to both, I would far prefer to divert to CDB than SYA, Cold Bay is closer to the rest of the country, and is civilian and so you can have the run of the town such that it is. At SYA, you would have military guards and the weather starts at bad and goes down from there.
CDB is 956 sm from SYA. I will be happy to have both, thanks. A 10,000 ft runway is a great thing to have nearby in times of trouble.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Someone needs a geography lesson. SYA is roughly equivalent in latitude to the north end of Vancouver Island, some 2,500 miles from the North Pole.
DiverDave and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.