Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Some Delta passengers are going to spend Christmas near the North Pole

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some Delta passengers are going to spend Christmas near the North Pole

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:24 am

Looking at the history on FlightAware is interesting also. I wonder what all those extra flights were for!
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: QR EK AC BA TK 9W AY
If you really want to go to the North Pole, I recommend Air Canada 45, Delhi to Vancouver on the 787-9.

AC45 heading for the North Pole on the shortest day of the year.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by andrewk829
Back to the topic of the diverted flight . . . I hope there is a FTer on board who can report how it all unfolded.A few logistical questions I have about a situation of a diversion to an extremely remote location:
1. Are passengers allowed to deplane? If so, is there any kind of facility for them in which to pass the time? What would that look like? If they do deplane, is there a security rescreening process before they re-board? How would that work as I doubt there is security screening machinery in place there? Maybe they’d send some TSA agents on the rescue plane with hand-held wands?
2. I would really hope that passport formalities (i.e, the absence of a CBP presence there) would not be a barrier to allowing passengers to deplane. I mean, really, is a non-citizen with nefarious intent going to attempt to take advantage of the situation to sneak into the U.S. by way of a remote Aleutian Island?
3. Given that there is a “rescue plane” coming, how are the logistics of checked baggage handled? Will they transfer baggage to the “rescue plane”, or leave it on the affected plane for future delivery? If they bring some baggage handlers on the rescue plane, that’ll probably represent an exciting opportunity for them. Would they bring one of those planeside conveyor belt trucks on the rescue plane?
4. If passengers have to stay on the plane, would Delta be able to provide some meal service and keep lavatories functioning?
Merry Christmas to all on board! Hope you can get where you are going as soon as possible.
I have a co-worker that did some work on Shemya earlier this year. There is an active Air Force station there. There will be food and shelter available for the passengers. There is even a store there to buy stuff, but not sure if they will be able to use it nor not.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by vga
More than 100 Tri-State children took a special trip to see Santa Saturday. It was Delta Airlines' fourth annual North Pole flight.
If that's the CVG North Pole flight....I think they push back and circle the concourse to simulate the "flight".
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by estedman
I have a co-worker that did some work on Shemya earlier this year. There is an active Air Force station there. There will be food and shelter available for the passengers. There is even a store there to buy stuff, but not sure if they will be able to use it nor not.
Some observations: DL 128 arrived SYA at midnight local time. Sunrise today at SYA is 10:34 am. The rescue B763 (DL 9950) is arriving SYA at about 11 am local time and the schedule calls for departure as DL 9928 SYA-SEA at 1:55 pm and arriving SEA at 9 pm today. If this holds, that would be something like a 14 hour delay from the original arrival time.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:09 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jrkmsp

I heard it was a rollback on the #1 engine.
Is that serious enough to require an immediate landing instead of continuing on 1 engine to ANC?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mnbp
Some observations: DL 128 arrived SYA at midnight local time. Sunrise today at SYA is 10:34 am. The rescue B763 (DL 9950) is arriving SYA at about 11 am local time and the schedule calls for departure as DL 9928 SYA-SEA at 1:55 pm and arriving SEA at 9 pm today. If this holds, that would be something like a 14 hour delay from the original arrival time.
For such an obscure diversion airport, that’s a pretty incredibly good turnaround time for getting the passengers rescued... well done to everyone involved!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pvn
Is that serious enough to require an immediate landing instead of continuing on 1 engine to ANC?
My amateur understanding of ETOPS rules is that when you go down to own engine, you must immediately proceed to the nearest suitable diversion airport. Which means putting down ASAP, not flying for 3+ more hours to ANC. After Shemya comes Cold Bay, and you may recall how complicated that diversion was a couple years ago.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
There's some discussion about this on airliners.net (https://www.airliners.net/forum/view...?f=3&t=1411327) including a link to a Flickr album showing some pretty cool photos of the previous Delta diversion to Cold Bay.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:23 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I found this thread from January 2017, if anyone's interested:

<Sorry if I missed somebody already having posted this. >

Anyone know what happened w/ DL68 NRT-PDX diverting to Cold Bay?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:17 pm

In my understanding of ETOPS, the airline must have procedures in place for diversion in such remote places RE: food, shelter, immigration and rescue.

Looks like DL had a spare 767 (N1603) sitting in SEA overnight after arriving from CDG.

​​​​​​The rescue flight landed in SYA over 4 hours ago, but still has not turned around.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Rescue aircraft heading back to SEA with pax https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...355Z/PASY/KSEA
Very quick reaction and turnaround all things considered.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
First picture posted from a passenger, it would seem. Nothing too interesting...

Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Jealous of the stop in SYA. I've only been as far East in Alaska as ADK (AS), DUT (KS/AS) and GAM (7H). Coming back from DUT, we did have a fuel stop in CDB

Glad everyone was OK.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
There is also a Tsunami tide gauge there. Lots of cool stuff to see.

I've also been to Cold Bay, but my dream is to go to Attu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.