Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Select pricing ATL-PEK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Premium Select pricing ATL-PEK

We’re going to China in June and would like to try the Premium Select ... has anyone noticed if these seats ever go on sale? They’re $1700 RT to Beijing right now. Unfortunately I don’t have the luxury of miles to use. 🤷🏻.♀️ However it’s a very long flight so I’m wondering if the extra $$ would be worth it. Economy is $1184 for the same trip right now.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Dec 22, 2018 at 7:53 am Reason: to be descriptive
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's a bit too early to book June tickets IMO, but I suggest keeping an eye on the premium fare deals forum here because China flights are often heavily discounted (supply exceeds demand).
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:11 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'd suggest monitoring the Premium Fare Deals forum. If you have flexibility in your choice of US gateway that helps too

e.g.

DL: LAX-PVG $822 Premium Select

Delta Premium Select: BOS-PEK $880 R/T (21K MQMs)
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, UA Silver, DL Plat, AS MVP, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
Depends where you are going in China and leaving from. There is a deal right now from LAX to PVG (Shanghai) for ~$800 round trip in premium select. That has been a fare that keeps coming around, so even if it's not available for June yet you should keep your eyes open for it. Also some cheap fares from Boston - PEK (Beijing) in Premium Select.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Ok so I’m flying out of Atlanta. I’m flying into Beijing on June 9 to meet up with our group and flying back to Atlanta on the 22nd. On the way back I can leave from Shanghai. Unfortunately from Atlanta the fares are all still pretty high.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by GLewis
Ok so I’m flying out of Atlanta. I’m flying into Beijing on June 9 to meet up with our group and flying back to Atlanta on the 22nd. On the way back I can leave from Shanghai. Unfortunately from Atlanta the fares are all still pretty high.
DL is able to capture a hub premium for ATL o/d passengers. If you are able to position yourself in a city like JAX or MCO, fares are generally a lot lower, but the PE and J sales (reliably) come and go.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I don't think that $1700 is a terrible price for PE. Yes, it could go down, but it's also very possible that it could up to the $2500 range or even higher. It's certainly tempting to hold out for something much lower.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you sure are looking at Premium Select fares? The ATL-PVG non-stop flight is only offering Comfort+ in June, not Premium Select. Comfort+ is NOT the same as Premium Select. The only way to get Premium Select out of ATL to PVG in June is to connect via another gateway (DTW or LAX) and those fares are going to be more than $1700. I think it will probably difficult to find Premium Select for less than $1700 in June even if you reposition. The current LAX-PVG deal only extends until May 6th.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Has OP looked at leaving from airports other than ATL? RDU is nice and convenient and often works well for special fares and other offers.

Doing an open jaw rather than a RT sometimes eliminates use of particularly good fares. It might be worth rearranging the trip of buying a separate ticket betweeen PVG and PEK. It could also help to have a bit of flexibility on dates, although I don't know what days of the week OP is searching for in June.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:22 am
Original Poster

We are meeting up with a group in Beijing so there’s not much flexibility on dates. We’te flying out on the 9th and plan to return the evening of the 22nd although that can be pushed up to the 23rd if we get a really good deal. Coming back we’re flexible on Beijing or Shanghai because the tour ends in Xinyang and we can take the train to either city for departure. Shanghai is appealing simply because it’s a nonstop to ATL from there.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by LBJ
Are you sure are looking at Premium Select fares? The ATL-PVG non-stop flight is only offering Comfort+ in June, not Premium Select. Comfort+ is NOT the same as Premium Select. The only way to get Premium Select out of ATL to PVG in June is to connect via another gateway (DTW or LAX) and those fares are going to be more than $1700. I think it will probably difficult to find Premium Select for less than $1700 in June even if you reposition. The current LAX-PVG deal only extends until May 6th.
OP is flying to PEK, not PVG
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
While it's true that demand in June is definitely higher than demand in March/April/May, fares haven't been jumping that much during the past several spring-summer transitions....but, the airlines generally don't release discounts until a bit closer in (e.g. if they can sell a few tickets for $1700 now, why not?).

Anyway, JAX-PEK rt in PE on DL is ~$930 on many date pairs in March and April.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bubbashow
OP is flying to PEK, not PVG
Oops, had LAX-PVG on the brain I guess. Looks like there are MCO/WAS-PEK PE fares available from $1231 RT in June. M-Th departures required. I'm doubtful you'll see lower than that for the summer and $1700 is probably best you will see from ATL due to DL hub premium.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
While it's true that demand in June is definitely higher than demand in March/April/May, fares haven't been jumping that much during the past several spring-summer transitions....but, the airlines generally don't release discounts until a bit closer in (e.g. if they can sell a few tickets for $1700 now, why not?).

Anyway, JAX-PEK rt in PE on DL is ~$930 on many date pairs in March and April.
It appears that the lowest JAX-PEK fare in PS has gone up a bit, to $1165, for travel in Mar./Apr.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by arkangel
It appears that the lowest JAX-PEK fare in PS has gone up a bit, to $1165, for travel in Mar./Apr.
I just checked again, and Google suggested an MCO origin. April 24 seems to be the day before prices jump on the outbound, but between now and then $779 rt seems to have good availability. JAX is still showing $924 for me during the same period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.