Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Select pricing ATL-PEK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
Originally Posted by moondog
It's a bit too early to book June tickets IMO, but I suggest keeping an eye on the premium fare deals forum here because China flights are often heavily discounted (supply exceeds demand).
I am also going to China in June. Why do you think now is too early to book? When would you suggest booking?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by GLewis
We’re going to China in June and would like to try the Premium Select ... has anyone noticed if these seats ever go on sale? They’re $1700 RT to Beijing right now. Unfortunately I don’t have the luxury of miles to use. 🤷🏻.♀️ However it’s a very long flight so I’m wondering if the extra $$ would be worth it. Economy is $1184 for the same trip right now.
OP, I don't think $1700 is particularly expensive for two ~17 hour flights; I know someone who paid that much to fly in MCE (AA's C+) to Venice and in your case you are getting a genuine PE.

It's a bit too early to book June tickets IMO, but I suggest keeping an eye on the premium fare deals forum here because China flights are often heavily discounted (supply exceeds demand).
I'd be careful personally. I know someone who is in Sydney right now and when he started looking at Delta flights 6 months out, premium select was already sold out. Obviously routes vary but OP's dates don't sound like they are very flexible.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jaimemayo

I am also going to China in June. Why do you think now is too early to book? When would you suggest booking?
I don't have a crystal ball, but I do have quite a bit of prior experience to draw from. Basically summer fares are almost always higher than spring fares, and can increase (from 6 month out levels) as planes fill up (e.g. the increase was substantial during the run up to the Olympics in 2008), but this hasn't been the case for the past several years, in large part because new capacity has been added at a brisk pace without a corresponding jump in demand.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Gig103
OP, I don't think $1700 is particularly expensive for two ~17 hour flights; I know someone who paid that much to fly in MCE (AA's C+) to Venice and in your case you are getting a genuine PE.

I'd be careful personally. I know someone who is in Sydney right now and when he started looking at Delta flights 6 months out, premium select was already sold out. Obviously routes vary but OP's dates don't sound like they are very flexible.
I didn't think PS has started to SYD yet. It was more likely they didn't know when PS equipment would start serving the route and thus zeroed it out to prevent needing to deal with downgrades. (Its what they did on other routes)
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I didn't think PS has started to SYD yet. It was more likely they didn't know when PS equipment would start serving the route and thus zeroed it out to prevent needing to deal with downgrades. (Its what they did on other routes)
That could be (that he was mistaken about its availability), I took him at his word on that.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Gig103
That could be (that he was mistaken about its availability), I took him at his word on that.
To be fair, unless he knew that was the reason, and the difference between C+/PS, it would make it appear it was sold out.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just checked again, and Google suggested an MCO origin. April 24 seems to be the day before prices jump on the outbound, but between now and then $779 rt seems to have good availability. JAX is still showing $924 for me during the same period.
These heavily discounted PE fares are all seasonal. It's not that DL hasn't made bucket inventory available (they are G fares), it's just that the fares are restricted to certain date ranges. April 29th is the last available departure date on these from the US to PEK. It will require a new discounted PE fare filing in order to find such cheap fares beyond 4/29 departures and even if they do make a new filing, I suspect it won't be as cheap as these.

Fare Code GLX77PPD
Seasonality FROM AREA 1 - PERMITTED 27AUG THROUGH 03OCT OR 17OCT THROUGH 09DEC OR 25DEC THROUGH 19FEB OR 05MAR THROUGH 29APR FOR EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jaimemayo

I guess that’s the million dollar question huh? 😂 I’ve heard that ~120 days is optimal for international flights but, then again, it *is* June so who knows? 😂

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.