Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What time to go to airport when you know flight is delayed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What time to go to airport when you know flight is delayed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I would plan to arrive in time for the original departure time. I've had flights move back up to their original time on many occasions.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Personally I'd think about Plan B. Delays sometimes become bigger delays and OP might want to look at availability for a different flight. [OP doesn't seem to be connecting further.] Alternatively, today might be a day to try to avoid checking a bag if this can be done, perhaps by disposing of unnecessary liquids, so that it will be easy to get oneself rerouted after check in if necessary.

If the bag must be checked, I could see an argument for taking it to the airport fairly early and then returning to the hotel room to wait it comfort since SNA doesn't have a lounge. OTOH, without status and with IROPs, OP risks a long line to check the bag, so there's some risk in not allowing enough time to do this if OP must return to the hotel to collect other belongings, etc. Taking everything but keeping the key card and phoning later to check out would be the safer plan.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
There was a thread or post somewhat recently about someone who got an hour or so delay notification, but was already at the airport and the flight ended up leaving at it's ORIGINAL scheduled departure. The warning was they would have missed the flight if they had arrived to the airport based on the delay notification. I would however argue that is the exception to the norm.

As mentioned already, it is risk management, you basically have to look at the situation. If there are dozens of flights to your final destination from wherever you are departing from, in other words if you miss your flight what are the chances you can still get where you are going that day. If there are plenty of options I wouldn't (and don't) think twice about adjusting my timing to reflect the delayed departure time. With my normal flights there are so many options if I ever get a delay I always just use that as the new time. I am not going to sit around the airport for an extra hour just because it might leave on time.

Now for people that don't normally travel, or have very time sensitive itineraries, I would give different advice. But if you travel often, add up all the time you spend waiting at the airport "just in case" and I would argue it adds up to considerably more time than getting caught on the 'one off situation' actually happening would cost you.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you never miss a flight, you're spending too much of your life waiting in airports.
ambyr, 18sas and defrosted like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
This delay was relatively minor, so I think many here would not do anything different. I see that taking your bag over to check would give you more leeway as to your arrival at the gate, but consider whether there's any downside to your luggage arriving SEA before you if you miss the plane. May be none, but if there is something valuable in it, you may not want it circling the drain, I mean the carousel by itself in Seattle.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:06 am

DL pads their schedules quite a bit, so with this short a delay, your delay may end up being an on-time departure or they could get different equipment for the inbound or a million other things could happen. This happened to me a couple weeks ago. Got notified my flight was delayed due to WX, they did an equipment swap to get us out on time and once everyone was onboard for our ontime departure, the flight went MX. Get to the airport for an ontime departure, but check options to see if other routings are available (perhaps through SLC). Once they have posted a delay you can do a free switch to any flights you want.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:06 am

The good rule to follow is 90-minutes before your originally scheduled domestic flight.

All this talk about outstations is nonsense. I experienced a plane swap at Cedar Rapids of all places where the pilot determined we were cancelling CID-DTW for mx. Then operations determined they were using that very aircraft to complete a CID-ATL, taking our aircraft, delaying us 6hrs, but pulling back the ATL delay. Complete shenanigans.

While the outstation aircraft swap is rare, it’s still possible, making it better to just sit at the airport vs sitting at home and missing a flight during holiday travel.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
The good rule to follow is 90-minutes before your originally scheduled domestic flight.

All this talk about outstations is nonsense. I experienced a plane swap at Cedar Rapids of all places where the pilot determined we were cancelling CID-DTW for mx. Then operations determined they were using that very aircraft to complete a CID-ATL, taking our aircraft, delaying us 6hrs, but pulling back the ATL delay. Complete shenanigans.

While the outstation aircraft swap is rare, it’s still possible, making it better to just sit at the airport vs sitting at home and missing a flight during holiday travel.

Maybe I'd be cautious on a once-a-day international flight, but we're talking SNA<->SEA. There's a gazillion flights OP can take to get to SEA on Delta from the LA area, and he's a GM so he would have some degree of priority on standby.

Yes, anything is possible. It's possible his flight will get cancelled outright making this whole conversation moot. The risk here is minimal that he is going to have a plane swap.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
This happens to me ALL THE TIME on SFO-SEA segments. Those aircraft go back and forth all day, and if a butterfly sneezes and creates some fog down there, suddenly some flights have to be delayed NINE HOURS, and it’s invariably the short west coast hops. And they won’t even throw me a voucher for the Wolfgang Puck Express that doesn’t work anymore.

My suggested strategy is to call in and ask to be protected on another flight in addition to your current one. In one example, I had a flight delayed from 10AM to 6PM. There were alternatives at 1-2, but that would have wasted a whole workday. I called in and got protected on the regularly scheduled 7PM flight in addition to my original one.

That gave me the best of both worlds: I could stay on my original flight and make plans for the extra time, and if they happened to dispatch it early I had an alternative to get me home. That let me go in to an office down there and have a full, productive day. And I wasn’t fighting for scraps of seats on overcrowded flights - instead, it turned into a basically guaranteed upgrade as everyone else with status had already rebooked off my original flight.

Took a little sweet talking to get it done, but wasn’t particularly difficult once I explained the logic.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
One consideration, not applicable to the OP, is what time TSA closes at smaller airports for late-evening flights. We had friends miss a 9pm flight that was delayed until 10:30pm. They arrived at the airport shortly after 9pm and TSA had just closed, so they couldn't clear security to access the gate. I don't remember the airline, but they treated them as a no-show and wouldn't let them fly out the next morning without a new ticket.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Don't think there is an easy answer. Flying US from EWR to AMS I got the dreaded "your flight is delayed 2h" message (weather related on the route the airplane coming to EWR had) but we still got to the airport the usual time (planning on spending more time in the lounge). While eating I got the alert that the flight now was moved back to be only 10 minutes late (which turned out to be more like 40 minutes in the end) as they used another airplane for the route.
If I would have planned for a 2h delay I would have been in trouble.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
A rescinded delay has happened to me. It's been several years, but once I got a delay notification on a flight. So I waited to go to the airport and when I got to the gate very early - earlier than the updated time but later than the scheduled departure - the Gate Agent yelled at me: "We've been calling your name, where have you been, everyone is waiting on you!" Walked onto a planeful of annoyed passengers.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Just for closure on this.. OP's flight ended up leaving 20 minutes later than the updated time at 1:06 PM PST.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ethernal
Just for closure on this.. OP's flight ended up leaving 20 minutes later than the updated time at 1:06 PM PST.
No closure until we know what time OP went to the airport....
Ysitincoach and ethernal like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Why all the hard work? Simply go to flightaware.com and click where is my plane.
Flightaware is only the first step... Ending there gives you no situational awareness as to the possibility of a plane swap with another jet already at your location or coming in from another hub.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
AS for AA They print out the new time on any BP issued. Thus if you checkin after delay is posted, your BP has the new time. Thus they have to wait.
As a mobile BP user, I had no idea they would print a new time on a paper BP. Ridiculous! No wonder AA lags DL in on-time performance by more than 4 points!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.