Wiki Posts
Search

Medallion Choice Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Medallion Choice Benefits

I just made diamond medallion last week. I was looking online at my choice benefit options. It does not let me pick for 2018 year anymore. Only has the option to pick for 2019 year platinum and diamond selections. Is this correct? When i made platinum in May it let me pick my 2018 platinum benefit. Since the year is still not over why am I not able to pick my diamond benefits for 2018?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:37 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by vwpokerchamp
I just made diamond medallion last week. I was looking online at my choice benefit options. It does not let me pick for 2018 year anymore. Only has the option to pick for 2019 year platinum and diamond selections. Is this correct? When i made platinum in May it let me pick my 2018 platinum benefit. Since the year is still not over why am I not able to pick my diamond benefits for 2018?
MQMs you earn this year (2018) go towards earning status for next year (2019). It's just that, as a bonus, if you achieve a higher level than you currently hold, they go ahead and give it to you for the rest of 2018 as well.

So in short you won't get 2018 Diamond Choice Benefits.

If you made PM for the *first time* in May 2018 then you may want to double check, because almost certainly you did not make a selection for your 2018 benefit (because you wouldn't get one) but rather your 2019 benefit.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I would recommend that you don't select the benefit until you are ready to use it. The clock starts ticking once you do. Specially if you want to use GUCs or RUCs.
indufan likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eddie98
I would recommend that you don't select the benefit until you are ready to use it. The clock starts ticking once you do. Specially if you want to use GUCs or RUCs.
The exception would be for gifted status -- which only extends through the end of the 2019 program year no matter when you select it.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You get a set of the corresponding choice benefits each time you *earn* a status level, not for each year or portion thereof when you're at that status level.

BTW, when DM first started, there was some apparent mess up in communication and we were promised a certain number of SWUs which Jeff then honored, so early on there was indeed an exception to this rule.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Eddie98
This is why I still have some picks from last year to still make.
davetravels and MarkP24 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Reminder: 2018 Choice Benefits need to be selected no later than tomorrow.

-FlyerBeek
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Reminder: 2018 Choice Benefits need to be selected no later than tomorrow.

-FlyerBeek
I always pick my GUCs and RUCs on 31st January every year, and I do it in the morning, just in case there are any last minute website glitches later in the day!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by audidudi
I always pick my GUCs and RUCs on 31st January every year, and I do it in the morning, just in case there are any last minute website glitches later in the day!
I select mine a few days before the deadline because I don't trust myself to remember to do it on the 31st.
ethernal and MarkP24 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I select mine a few days before the deadline because I don't trust myself to remember to do it on the 31st.
Guess I will go and select my last-ever set of RUCs.

Hopefully I will have better luck with them this year than in 2018. I went 0/4 trying to redeem for flights between LAX and ATL. Finally gave up and cashed one of the 4 in on ATL-HSV and the other three expire today.

Also 12 drink vouchers expiring tomorrow. I have no idea how I ended up with 12 instead of the customary 4.

Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Guess I will go and select my last-ever set of RUCs.

Hopefully I will have better luck with them this year than in 2018. I went 0/4 trying to redeem for flights between LAX and ATL. Finally gave up and cashed one of the 4 in on ATL-HSV and the other three expire today.

Also 12 drink vouchers expiring tomorrow. I have no idea how I ended up with 12 instead of the customary 4.

Do you have any flights booked this year you can apply the expiring RUCs to today? I know they're not supposed to be used for flights after the expiration date, but I've always had good luck with agents processing the RUCs so long as the RUC itself hadn't expired and the upgrade would clear immediately. I just did this for a SLC-IAD flight in March, even though the RUC expired this month. Even if you just clear on a short segment, it's worth a try IMO.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Do you have any flights booked this year you can apply the expiring RUCs to today? I know they're not supposed to be used for flights after the expiration date, but I've always had good luck with agents processing the RUCs so long as the RUC itself hadn't expired and the upgrade would clear immediately. I just did this for a SLC-IAD flight in March, even though the RUC expired this month. Even if you just clear on a short segment, it's worth a try IMO.
Thank you for the suggestion - I do have flights in February, though the long legs are ATL-LAX and it seems RUC upgrade availability is just never available. It has gotten to where FC is even full 24 hours before departure, so the gate lottery is to be first in line for zero seats.

But I will definitely give it a try!

Thank you,
David

Last edited by DiverDave; Jan 30, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:30 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I chose the first of my 2018 DM bennies early in the year, so I could use the SkyClub - (Very nice touch, that they added the flexibility to choose at different times)

This morning, I chose the remaining 2 DM bennies, plus my 2018 PM benny. I still have 2 - $200 DL ECVs from last year to use that are expiring TODAY!!!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:04 pm

Thank you for the suggestion - I do have flights in February, though the long legs are ATL-LAX and it seems RUC upgrade availability is just never available. It has gotten to where FC is even full 24 hours before departure, so the gate lottery is to be first in line for zero seats.
I tried, but no joy. Was told this has been tightened up. Maybe the difference is that you are a DM and I am two days away from FO.

Was worth a try - as they say, if you don't ask you don't get.......
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...

But I will definitely give it a try!

Thank you,
David
I was 2 for 2 with ATL-LAX RUCs in the month of January as PM. Both were Friday 830am flights. Sorry you had no luck.
DiverDave likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.