3,700 MQM short for Silver

Old Dec 17, 18, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

3,700 MQM short for Silver

Would prefer not to spend $599 for the 5,000 MQM bundle. anyone have suggestions for a mileage run that would achieve this goal for less?
Old Dec 17, 18, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
impossible to answer without knowing where you can originate, and what your available travel days are
Old Dec 17, 18, 6:56 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Welcome to FlyerTalk; when you come back and post the missing information, please add it to this existing thread; thanks. DL/Sky Team: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Old Dec 17, 18, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL PM, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Silver is not worth reaching to get. Not unless you can do a simple buy-up on an existing trip. I would never hand DL $599 for Silver.
SYRRDU and JB1000 like this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
impossible to answer without knowing where you can originate, and what your available travel days are
Sorry, that's what you get from a virgin. My home base is ATL and I can pretty much travel any day for the remainder of the year.
Old Dec 17, 18, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WWads View Post
Silver is not worth reaching to get. Not unless you can do a simple buy-up on an existing trip. I would never hand DL $599 for Silver.
Agreed. Totally my fault for delaying until the last minute. I thought about grabbing the amex reserve card deal back in September for the 10K mqm bonus, but spending 3000 in a week now is a bit of a stretch. Wonder if there is a way I could trade 10k regular miles (or appropriate amount) for 3700 mqms with a member that has gifting permission?
Old Dec 17, 18, 8:39 pm

Programs: Delta, United
As said not worth the money, get an AmEx card for less with similar benefits.
Old Dec 17, 18, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Welcome to FT, GT Hill, we hope you learn a lot here and make some friends!

As described by FlyinHawaiian, you should post in the mileage run thread to get some ideas.

But by the by, you could take a weekend trip to Los Angeles the last weekend of the year for $487. That's 3892 MQMs.
Old Dec 17, 18, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Youngmiler View Post
You can usually just buy Silver on eBay for like $250. It's worth pretty much nothing like others have said.
The one nice benefit of the reserve is complimentary access to the club
Old Dec 17, 18, 9:39 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
You can do ATL-LAX for $347.40 on Christmas Day. Not seeing anything cheaper than that. ATL-SNA is $391 on 12/24.
GT Hill likes this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I tend to think you'd be better off snagging the Reserve on Jan 1 and just knocking out the other 15k MQM/$3k MQD early in the year and then have Silver through 2021 and in the interim the perks of the Reserve are virtually the same as being Silver -- especially if you are ATL-based (in which case an upgrade clearing would be a true unicorn)
Old Dec 17, 18, 11:30 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by GT Hill View Post
Agreed. Totally my fault for delaying until the last minute. I thought about grabbing the amex reserve card deal back in September for the 10K mqm bonus, but spending 3000 in a week now is a bit of a stretch. Wonder if there is a way I could trade 10k regular miles (or appropriate amount) for 3700 mqms with a member that has gifting permission?
The thing is (coming to you from a new Silver), if you get the credit card in January, you instantly have two of the largest benefits, the checked bag and Zone 1 boarding, plus the lounge access for the year at $450 vs $599 for just the MQM boost. I'm not saying that the skypriority bag drop and preferred seating are bad perks, but they aren't $599 good. You can use that money to upgrade to C+ once in a while out of pocket. Or if you don't really care for the lounge the Skymiles Platinum card also has an MQM signup bonus (sometimes if not always), and is only a $195 annual fee. Now you're $400 ahead of the FO buy-up.
Old Dec 18, 18, 12:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
do you want silver because you have enough travel to justify it next year, or do you want it just because you're actually within spitting distance? out of ATL I would say your chances of F upgrades are almost basically always zero if you are flying at anything considered a normal time. are you even going to travel enough next year to make it worth it? just things to consider before blowing $400 and wasting a day on a plane
Old Dec 18, 18, 8:50 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, CLEAR/Global Entry
Originally Posted by GT Hill View Post
Sorry, that's what you get from a virgin. My home base is ATL and I can pretty much travel any day for the remainder of the year.
+1
Welcome aboard!

Also you will learn by reading these boards that ATL is one the most heavily traveled airports by DM/PM/GM skymiles members that you will be competing with for seats and upgrades.

Keep this in mind in your future travels and medallion status decisions.

Happy Landings!
Old Dec 18, 18, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Silver > SkyMiles Member

Search this Thread
Search Engine: