Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Currently at 75k MQM (plat), $15k MQD (diamond) - options?

Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:59 am
Original Poster

I'm at 74,880 miles, and after today I'll be platinum for next year. The funny thing is due to a lot of last minute travel I'm over $15k MQD which is diamond. I wasn't planning on it, but I'm wondering if there are any options short of a crazy mileage run that would make up the difference in MQMs. I started to look at the Delta Amex cards, but tough to weed through the details.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Realistically - barring a big investment in spend and time - you are not going to make Diamond. We are now in the expensive part of the year for mileage runs (the last two weeks in December meaning there are few cheap fares). Even if you could do mileage runs, 50K is more than two trips around the globe - this is 5+ days of time just in the air alone not even talking about layovers, etc. Even in business we're talking about 3 days+ in the air.

If you are able to manufacture spend and put a bunch of money on Amex cards, in theory you could get two Reserve cards (one personal, one business) and get 60K of MQMs. This would require $120K in manufactured spend in less than two weeks - if you even get the card on time and have expenses to post on time.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ethernal
Realistically - barring a big investment in spend and time - you are not going to make Diamond. We are now in the expensive part of the year for mileage runs (the last two weeks in December meaning there are few cheap fares). Even if you could do mileage runs, 50K is more than two trips around the globe - this is 5+ days of time just in the air alone not even talking about layovers, etc. Even in business we're talking about 3 days+ in the air.

If you are able to manufacture spend and put a bunch of money on Amex cards, in theory you could get two Reserve cards (one personal, one business) and get 60K of MQMs. This would require $120K in manufactured spend in less than two weeks - if you even get the card on time and have expenses to post on time.
This would be almost impossible. It would be better to get just 1 Reserve card and shoot for $60k in spending (generating 10k MQMs for the first purchase and 30k MQMs for the spending). You'd still be 10k short so you'd need to do some flying. But even this approach might not be possible because it will take some time to get the card, and most people won't have a credit line capable of supporting $60k in spend in 2 weeks (especially on a brand new account).
ethernal likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:33 am

I could only get a $10,000 credit limit so I charged $10,000 of prepaid IRS taxes and then paid it off through online billpay each day so I could rack up a large spend over the course of 7-10 days.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I could only get a $10,000 credit limit so I charged $10,000 of prepaid IRS taxes and then paid it off through online billpay each day so I could rack up a large spend over the course of 7-10 days.
The fees would make this an expensive undertaking. A couple cheap MRs would probably cost less.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The fees would make this an expensive undertaking. A couple cheap MRs would probably cost less.
There are no cheap MRs left. We're in the blackout period for the holidays (+ past two week advanced purchase when fare buckets become a lot more expensive regardless of availability - at least on DL metal).
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all! My sense was that if 10k, the Amex option or similar might work, but more than double that it wouldn't make sense. I would've been kicking myself if there was a one-time thing. I'm happy to stay at the platinum level again
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
You'd have to do a NYC>SIN China Eastern type mileage run in business....and even that would only net you around 31k (trust me, I just did it). I attempted to reprice my just completed MR, and it would have been well over $3500 for the last week of December. Not really worth it, IMHO
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Find a few partner business class long distance deals early in '19 and qualify that way. As per above, it's going to be tough to get 50k more miles in cy18
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Buy a $100,000 credit on Delta Private Jets and you will get complementary Diamond Medallion status

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.