7 Hours in ATL on the 30th. Which Sky Club

Old Dec 16, 18, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by KenfromDE View Post
I would never leave an airport, even with a 7 hour connection. Remember, shxt. happens and Delta may not be forgiving.
So you arrive for all your flights 7 hours in advance?

As fun as the ATL Sky Club crawl was, personally I'd still probably try to find an excuse to leave the airport with 7hrs, but to each their own.
Old Dec 16, 18, 11:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
do you normally get to the airport 7 hours early?
Who doesn't? Especially when the power at ATL might go out with no notice. I mean it is that time of the year...
Old Dec 17, 18, 1:16 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Iíd go to Ted Turnerís Montana Grill and have a thick Buffalo Steak.

Yeah. Thatís the ticket!
Old Dec 17, 18, 1:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TheHorta View Post
Iíd go to Ted Turnerís Montana Grill and have a thick Buffalo Steak.

Yeah. Thatís the ticket!
This won't work if there's a power outage. I was going to suggest a CNN building tour, but that won't work without power either and I'm not sure that the tours operate on weekends. The Georgia Aquarium (near CNN Center) would also require power and might be mobbed with schoolkids on a weekend between Christmas and NYE. There's shopping in Buckhorn. All Chick-Fil-As should be closed for Sunday.

I'm surprised that no one has suggested staying at the airport and eating at OFS, although if you're getting a meal on the flight, my advice would probably be to hit the DL museum near the airport and then to to the F SC for F&B, showers, and the SkyDeck.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Echo the heading into the city -- but after that best two SCs in ATL are F and B (IMO).

F isn't as crowded as B (because it's a hike and the international traffic is more concentrated with long gaps between the TPAC and TATL banks) and it's easy to grab a shower if wanted. B is nice but can get really busy despite it's size.
This. And stay away from E. It gets miserably overcrowded mid-to late afternoon.
Old Dec 17, 18, 4:16 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
There is also Jimmy Carter Presidential Library, High Museum of Art, and Civil Rights Museum (near Convention Center), all of which are quite good.
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
This won't work if there's a power outage. I was going to suggest a CNN building tour, but that won't work without power either and I'm not sure that the tours operate on weekends. The Georgia Aquarium (near CNN Center) would also require power and might be mobbed with schoolkids on a weekend between Christmas and NYE. There's shopping in Buckhorn. All Chick-Fil-As should be closed for Sunday.

I'm surprised that no one has suggested staying at the airport and eating at OFS, although if you're getting a meal on the flight, my advice would probably be to hit the DL museum near the airport and then to to the F SC for F&B, showers, and the SkyDeck.
Buckhorn? Is that the area where they sell the knockoff versions of the products you would find in Buckhead?
Old Dec 17, 18, 6:15 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, etc etc etc
Delta Flight Museum - go see the 747

I spend as little possible time in Sky Clubs as possible please dont waste your time, but to answer your question about ATL ANY of them EXCEPT B and the one at D12

I am not sure why people like One Flew South at ATL so much especially when Atlanta has so many options for eating outside the airport. OFS is "ok" for an airport restaurant but "meh" if it was not at the airport.
pvn likes this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 6:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 3MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Without question, F. It is a very large and well laid out club that has the patio "Sky Deck". The rest of ATL's Sky Clubs, including the new one on B are crowded, noisy, and NOT reflective of a true airport lounge experience. That said, if you really have 7 hours, take Marta downtown or do the Delta museum as others have suggested.
Old Dec 17, 18, 6:49 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up

leave the airport, take marta downtown, go see world of coke or something, don't spend 7 hours in the airport ffs
Did the World Of Coke tour 3 years ago. Suggest you do their VIP experience which is not much more $, BUT well worth it!!! You could then do the aquarium as well. Would be a good use of time (-:
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Atlanta, has some very nice golf courses, you could do 9 holes....
(that is of course if you travel with your clubs)
Old Dec 17, 18, 10:44 am

Programs: Delta FO, WN A-List, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold, Hilton Silver
Definitely leave the airport and take MARTA north to Midtown or North Ave. Uber is going to be slower and is likely going to be more hassle as the airport's taxi drivers have been unkind to the Uber/Lift drivers.

Ponce City Market = good dining and people watching along the Beltline. Weather likely to be nice enough for a good walk on the Beltline. I'd also recommend a stop at New Realm Brewing which is directly on it as well.

Just keep track of the time and give yourself about an hour (minimum) to get back to ATL and clear security, etc. I once picked up a friend who was on a similar layover and he almost didn't make his connection, as traffic around Atlanta can become horrendous - especially around holiday weekends.
Old Dec 17, 18, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
do you normally get to the airport 7 hours early?
Nope, It's a connection. I arrive at 11:30 JFK to ATL and the flight to SDQ is 7 hours later.

The direct from JFK was too pricey for me and want to be home for the New Year.
Old Dec 17, 18, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways View Post
Did the World Of Coke tour 3 years ago. Suggest you do their VIP experience which is not much more $, BUT well worth it!!! You could then do the aquarium as well. Would be a good use of time (-:
Actually, I think the aquarium is on the top of my list right now. I have heard great things about the atl aquarium but never have gone. The last aquarium I went too was the one in Santo Domingo Dominican Republic and most of the animals were dead.
Old Dec 17, 18, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL PM 1 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT PM, Hilton DM
Go to the D concourse skyclub, it's a magical experience.

Search this Thread