FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   GUC wait list - what should show online? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1945755-guc-wait-list-what-should-show-online.html)

lucycan Dec 14, 2018 7:34 am

GUC wait list - what should show online?

I'm on the upgrade list using a GUC on a PVG to DTW flight in Sept 2019.

In the past when I have been on the list, online it shows a second / shadow segment and also says "waitlist". This time it shows nothing. I called the Diamond line and they assure me I am on the waitlist, but apparently can't show me any info that states as such.

Seems odd. Thoughts?

flyerCO Dec 14, 2018 8:54 am

This has been discussed many times in the main GUC and RUC threads. Having something show up or not has no bearing on if ot was donr correctly or not. Even if agent takes the extra steps needed for it to display, the agent could've still screwed up the coding for it. Thus even if you see the double map, or waitlist segment, there's no promise it was correctly coded.

loratliff Dec 14, 2018 10:40 am

Originally Posted by lucycan (Post 30534736)
In the past when I have been on the list, online it shows a second / shadow segment and also says "waitlist". This time it shows nothing. I called the Diamond line and they assure me I am on the waitlist, but apparently can't show me any info that states as such.

I've never seen that until check-in time.

lucycan Dec 14, 2018 10:41 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 30535012)
This has been discussed many times in the main GUC and RUC threads. Having something show up or not has no bearing on if ot was donr correctly or not. Even if agent takes the extra steps needed for it to display, the agent could've still screwed up the coding for it. Thus even if you see the double map, or waitlist segment, there's no promise it was correctly coded.

So how do I know if they HAVE done it correctly?

inthecloud Dec 14, 2018 10:44 am

Originally Posted by lucycan (Post 30535455)

In my experience, the best way to catch mistakes (and there are plenty) is to call up and ask to check the status of the upgrade. Unfortunately there are multiple ways for agents to do things, and sometimes they don't achieve the desired outcome. You'll either hear "yep, I see it in there and it hasn't cleared yet", or you'll hear "hmmm something isn't right here, let me fix it"

Edit- I now see that your OP says you've already done this. I don't know that there is much else you can do since this functionality isn't fully on the web. If my travel plans werent set in stone yet, I'd have asked them to check for GUC availability in the week before and after. If I knew I'd be waitlisted, I would have checked other routings to avoid it.

rylan Dec 14, 2018 10:48 am

I've seen varying things display even with properly coded GUC requests... sometimes an extra segment shows up with 'waitlisted' for status, sometimes I only see the 'ghost' seatmap and can't pick anything, and sometimes there isn't anything except my normal itinerary but with the segments showing 'upgrade requested'. Not sure if a way to definitively verify that the underlying upgrade request is done properly so it clears when availability opens up.

vga Dec 14, 2018 10:57 am

Click Add Section to Schedule to display the Section Details screen. This will also show the seats available as well as the waitlisted status.

mnbp Dec 14, 2018 11:33 am

Originally Posted by vga (Post 30535533)
Click Add Section to Schedule to display the Section Details screen. This will also show the seats available as well as the waitlisted status.

This is very interesting, but I've not been able to find "Add Section to Schedule" online or in the DL app. Can you please explain more about this?

Zorak Dec 14, 2018 2:42 pm

You don't. There is no way visible to a customer to know whether any of the apparently myriad manual steps have been missed or incorrectly followed by the agent. It's ridiculous, but here we are :mad:

(For the sake of clarity, there's at least one or two steps that have visible effects but there are other hidden ones we have no way of determining one way or the other.)

flyerCO Dec 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Sadly there is none was my point. You can call back and ask another agent To check, but there's no promise they don't miss something is wrong.

AJDelvarno Dec 14, 2018 3:05 pm

I waitlisted two GUCs in July 2018 for an October 2018 DTW-ICN-DTW round trip. Immediately after making the reservation with the Diamond Line, I received an email from DL with the subject line “Delta Reservation Itinerary” that had “double/shadow entries” for each overwater direction, one of which was “upgrade requested.” The double entry did not show on my “Flight Receipt” email and didn’t show on DL.com under “My Trips.” I tweeted @Delta twice in those three months just to confirm the upgrade request was correctly entered. I was told it was.

I showed up on the UG list for each flight as I checked in. One UG cleared after I had boarded into Premium Select and had given up hope and the other cleared right as boarding started.

YMMV.

mnredfox Dec 14, 2018 8:08 pm

Even if the WL repeat segment appears correctly online I always double check and triple check with two separate calls to the DM line.

TheHorta Dec 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by vga (Post 30535533)

This sounds like instructions for the DL agent, not something we mere pax can do.

Is that correct?