Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade from main cabin to Comfort+ (for $$$) - worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Looking at a flight from east coast to CDG next year, roughly $200 out of pocket to upgrade from main cabin to comfort+ (one-way). Worth the money?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
This is impossible to answer as it will be different for everyone in terms of what they value.

All you are getting is 4" of extra legroom and about 2" of extra recline. If you are 7 feet tall, it is probably definitely worth it. If you are 5 feet tall, you may not even notice the difference.

The service is the same (at least on international cabins - domestic C+ get free alcohol and extra snacks which is not the case in regular Y).

On the face it seems like a $200 one way upfare is quite pricey for a 12% increase in pitch - so unless you really value the legroom it may not make sense.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Those extra few inches allow me at 5'10" to stretch my legs under the seat in front of me (otherwise my shins often hit the seatback). As that might be the difference between sleep and not, I'd say $200 is okay. But everyone's different - $200/pp is also probably a full day's holiday budget in France (food, admissions, Metro).

Have you flown east coast to west coast? JFK/ATL to LAX/SEA for example? It's a close enough approximation of the flight length to know how comfortable you were.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethernal
This is impossible to answer as it will be different for everyone in terms of what they value.

All you are getting is 4" of extra legroom and about 2" of extra recline. If you are 7 feet tall, it is probably definitely worth it. If you are 5 feet tall, you may not even notice the difference.

The service is the same (at least on international cabins - domestic C+ get free alcohol and extra snacks which is not the case in regular Y).

On the face it seems like a $200 one way upfare is quite pricey for a 12% increase in pitch - so unless you really value the legroom it may not make sense.
That "12%" number for pitch is very misleading. It's the increase in usable knee-room that people really care about and that number is substantially higher. I'm 5'8" and don't particularly feel cramped in regular coach, but I suspect for anyone 6' or taller C+ can make a big difference. DL does not generally include exit row seats with C+, so if your primary concern is legroom, you can probably grab one of those for less money.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by LBJ
That "12%" number for pitch is very misleading. It's the increase in usable knee-room that people really care about and that number is substantially higher. I'm 5'8" and don't particularly feel cramped in regular coach, but I suspect for anyone 6' or taller C+ can make a big difference. DL does not generally include exit row seats with C+, so if your primary concern is legroom, you can probably grab one of those for less money.
I'm 6' 4" so I definitely appreciate C+. My point is that $200 is a lot to pay for what the product is and that that it may be valuable for some and not the other. And I think that - given that the average leisure TATL fare booked in advance is probably around $1000-1200 round trip - a 40% premium is quite high for the product and it is not a good deal unless your personal circumstances (e.g., height) make it worthwhile or your price sensitivity is very low.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by NDS88
Looking at a flight from east coast to CDG next year, roughly $200 out of pocket to upgrade from main cabin to comfort+ (one-way). Worth the money?
We did it for our JFK-CDG. I think it was a 7pm departure and we got the bulk head seats in C+. I think it was worth it.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:01 pm

I consistently see shorter, wider people purchase C+ thinking they will have extra room. Needless to say, they would have the same “experience” in coach.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I am short (and not wide) but on international flights the small amount of extra recline makes a difference in my ability to sleep.

I don’t know what I would decide about the extra cost if I were not PM. I know that I have several times paid the extra cost to travel in Premium Economy on VS and, just recently, in PS on Delta. My recent ticket in PS cost only about $200 RT more than main cabin which would make me question paying that same amount extra for C+.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Dec 15, 2018 at 11:28 am
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by NDS88
eh.. like someone else said, maybe if you are 6' + Otherwise, you may want to use the $200 for a bigger rental car or hotel room. Loved the X6 I got @fra in August.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I've paid for C+ a few times, first time was a measly $60 MSP-AMS in 2012. Totally worth it! We also paid I think $120 p.p. one way (maybe even $140?) Buenos Aires-ATL a few years ago before I hit PM, to get the bulkhead AB pair on a 767 for a 10 hr overnight. Also totally worth it. I slept about the best I can imagine (not great, but decent for non-J).

At $200 now, I'm not sure how to gauge the value. I'm 6'2" and if I couldn't buy an exit row seat for less, I'd probably lump it and pay. I don't sleep great on longhaul but the combination of shin pinch and less recline I'm pretty sure would mean I'd just watch movies all night and be even more wrecked my first day in Europe. $200 bucks to not feel extra crappy and need a mega nap on arrival is not so bad a deal.

Though if that really were the upcharge (and esp if we're talking about me + partner, so $400) I'd consider trying to fly over a day earlier in regular Y and spending the $400 on a bonus night hotel and food, and just sleep off the jet lag! (Extra days off work aren't that easy for everyone, I know).
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by ethernal
I'm 6' 4" so I definitely appreciate C+. My point is that $200 is a lot to pay for what the product is and that that it may be valuable for some and not the other. And I think that - given that the average leisure TATL fare booked in advance is probably around $1000-1200 round trip - a 40% premium is quite high for the product and it is not a good deal unless your personal circumstances (e.g., height) make it worthwhile or your price sensitivity is very low.
At 6' 3 1/2" and 230lbs. I am starting to think more about back of the plane flying just to have a better shot at an empty seat next to me. The armrest battle is a bigger deal than the leg space. I don't feel a whole lot of difference there.

I do like drinks though...
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Meant to add "price sensitivity" is a very good way of putting it. I am "price averse" to paying for the upgrade.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I just did a search for flights from JFK-CDG in feb 2019, and I'm seeing a r/t fare difference between main cabin and C+ of $228. Is the $200 one way on a ticket you already purchased? You may want to call DL and ask the agent to price out the cost of upgrading to C+ round trip. It may be cheaper. Often the online offers are a terrible value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.