Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

48% of Delta Revenue From Coach, Down From 63% Six Years Ago. D1/FC is 32%.

48% of Delta Revenue From Coach, Down From 63% Six Years Ago. D1/FC is 32%.

Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I don't think it was a "trial balloon" per se. I think what happened was that (arguably in response to B6's Mint expansion) DL expanded the number of D1 routes to include SEA...and that started causing some issues since it's one thing to have a separate D1 rule and entirely another to have "mixed" rules on different routes (JFK-SEA is what's causing a bit of a mess since some flights are D1 and some are "ordinary F"...and in some cases you get an "ordinary F" flight with a lie-flat seat, which is nice but sure doesn't help with the confusion). I remember when this was first rolled out they also rephrased the SDC rules, presumably so they wouldn't get hammered with folks booking "regular F" and then flipping to D1 on the same route. I'd note that those rules have since been reshuffled again.

It may be anecdote, but I've seen rather lower D1 fares as of late as well (I think I saw $699 and I probably saw a $599 as well for an off-peak day).

Edit: And Medallion upgrades to D1 are explicitly back at the day-of-travel, yes. I've been told that they would still happen once in a while as a part of load management (i.e. Economy oversold and there's not enough room in C+), but that it was understandably about as common as VX comping someone up (which I saw exactly one time in my years flying with them, and there wasn't even an upgrade list...the GA had to go "fishing" for someone she could come up with an excuse to comp up).

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Dec 16, 2018 at 3:34 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.