Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

48% of Delta Revenue From Coach, Down From 63% Six Years Ago. D1/FC is 32%.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

48% of Delta Revenue From Coach, Down From 63% Six Years Ago. D1/FC is 32%.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by captaink
My holiday travel on DL has had worse UG %s of late than I was seeing on my M-TH business trips, and I chalk it up to DL making extremely low buy-up offers on flights that are probably 90-95% non-medallions. I've seen more than a few people sitting up front who must have skipped out on buying personal hygiene products and put that money towards an F buy up. It's a shame no domestic carrier actually enforces any sort of dress code anymore - then DL could deny boarding, keep whatever buy-up revenue they collected, and still have seats for UGs.
Wow.. talk about a pretty elitist attitude. Does it really bother you if people wear a t-shirt on a plane? Why would you care?

But yes, I agree with the jist of your post - Delta does aggressively sell leisure routes and non-biz travel days in F.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I'd say that the "once a year flyers always buying up to C+/F" theory has some legs. Every news story about airline ticket prices, holiday travel, etc makes "flying coach these days" out to be unbearable torture, and your average customer doesn't know enough to draw a distinction between the ULCCs and Basic economy fares that are highlighted in news segments and the regular DL economy product (which is an entirely tolerable experience). That scares a lot of once a year fliers into buying up to C+ or First, and Delta makes if VERY easy to do so.

My holiday travel on DL has had worse UG %s of late than I was seeing on my M-TH business trips, and I chalk it up to DL making extremely low buy-up offers on flights that are probably 90-95% non-medallions. I've seen more than a few people sitting up front who must have skipped out on buying personal hygiene products and put that money towards an F buy up. It's a shame no domestic carrier actually enforces any sort of dress code anymore - then DL could deny boarding, keep whatever buy-up revenue they collected, and still have seats for UGs.
What exactly is implied by "dress code"? I've happily boarded into the F/J cabin on many long transcon or Hawaii or int'l flights wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt and/or hoodie because I care more about being comfortable for the next 5 to 10 or more hours than I do about impressing other passengers with my dress. Of course I shower and maintain good hygiene (as much for my own comfort as out of respect for others) but I will continue to wear what I want to wear on the plane. I've even seen people wearing medical scrubs because of the comfort scrubs provide.

Originally Posted by bennos
I think my question would be "why am I paying for a product to get a bonus that would have previously made me eligible to get the product for free in the first place?" In other words, I'm not going to buy C+ for the MQMs, I'm going to ditch chasing MQMs and buy the best product at the price, regardless of carrier.
Because part of what I value in status are some of the intangibles that you can't get just by buying up to C+ or F. Other factors are driven by work policy. I'm not saying I don't value the (mostly) complimentary C+, F upgrades, and other perks. But there are parts of status one can't just buy - things like IROPs protection and better handling by Customer Service, especially in IROPS, the Medallion phone line (also great to get through to an agent more quickly during weather events), etc. I can't buy C+ when I travel for work. But as a PM, I can at least get C+ once my reservation tickets (though there's often little to no C+ left at that point, especially on the outbound), but finding ways to bolster my status when I'm paying out of pocket helps me get and maintain those perks for the times when I can't buy-up.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd mind either one if I've paid for a FC ticket. However, I'd generally prefer an aisle seat in the back to a C+ middle, although a lot depends on the people sitting around me.
while I would take a C+ middle on a short domestic flight, I’ll take an aisle in the back of the bus over C+ on any long haul flight.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Not surprising, since the underlying seats mapped into the premium bucket have nearly doubled (at least for domestic pax). It's a Investor speak slight of hand, IMHO
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
They made the seats available and they're selling them - not giving them away. That sounds like successful strategy, not Corporate Communications spin.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by navi_jen
Not surprising, since the underlying seats mapped into the premium bucket have nearly doubled (at least for domestic pax). It's a Investor speak slight of hand, IMHO
What kind of "speak" it is is irrelevant. The question is whether it is factually true. It is.

Not everybody on FT works for a for-profit company and not everyone who does has a profit-sharing or profit-linked bonus structure in their compensation. But, many do. How many of those people are prepared to take a pay cut to give away as a freebie what can be sold to a public which demands and is willing to pay for the product?

Put another way, if there is demand out there for an F product at a given price and DL does not meet that demand, someone will.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:07 am

Often1, I work in consulting and counsel clients all the time on how to maximize revenue and profits. In this particular instance, I added extra snark mostly because I hate how cramped planes have become. EC (and all of their cousins on other airlines) is pretty much a legacy, yet rebranded, coach seat (with alcohol thrown in)....IMHO. Do I understand why DL made this change? Yes. Do I like it or regularly buy into the schtick? No.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program...
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by navi_jen
If you look at the actual slide deck, you'll see that they go back to 2011 and Economy Comfort as part of premium upsell offerings. So, the number of seats involved haven't really changed in 7 years, they've just monetized them better. Yes, C+ is not a real "Premium Economy" product. People getting upset about the use of the word "premium" are pretty much missing the point.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:44 am

LBJ,I admit I did not look at the presentation (I have to look at loads of these for my clients, so I try to avoid extra curricular reading like this :) Has EC really been in the inventory since 2011? Wow, my memory failed me. Thank you for that clarification.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: Delta PM
I'd mind either one if I've paid for a FC ticket. However, I'd generally prefer an aisle seat in the back to a C+ middle, although a lot depends on the people sitting around me.
It's been clear for at least a year that DL intends to make everyone believe that Medallion upgrades to C+ are upgrades.
that's one of the prime movers to the stupid boarding change and the change to Delta One. Notice the trial balloon was the elimination of the Medallion upgrade to transcon D1.

They will make the C+ sections larger, and try to sell every D1 seat.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:18 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I've seen more than a few people sitting up front who must have skipped out on buying personal hygiene products and put that money towards an F buy up. It's a shame no domestic carrier actually enforces any sort of dress code anymore
what makes you think these aren't medallions?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.
Sorry but I don't consider C+ to be an upgrade.
Agreed, though maybe on the 757, first row of comfort plus exit row, traveling across the country is for me an upgrade and worth paying for. But on regular flights less the three hours, can't for the life of me see any real difference between Economy and Comfort Plus. Have to love the way it is marketed though, "dedicated bin space" well I got that on my SEA-SNA flight in Economy on Friday, coffee and snacks looked the same as in Comfort plus
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by pvn
what makes you think these aren't medallions?
Come on! There’s a secret medallion handshake and code word! You sidn’t get the memo?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wxman22
It's been clear for at least a year that DL intends to make everyone believe that Medallion upgrades to C+ are upgrades.
that's one of the prime movers to the stupid boarding change and the change to Delta One. Notice the trial balloon was the elimination of the Medallion upgrade to transcon D1.
A trial balloon that didn't stick and was reversed earlier this year.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:18 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
That rule was around for like 3 years, wasn't it? Hardly a trial balloon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.