SlyClub elevators

Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
SkyClub elevators

Why are the elevators in SkyClubs so slow? Slow to go up. Slow to go down. Doors open slowly. Doors close very slowly allowing for a never ending stream of people wanting to get on so you are then forced to watch the doors open and close slowly again.

At least the art is nice and Mac & cheese is good

Last edited by JB1000; Dec 14, 2018 at 6:05 am
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JB1000
Why are the elevators in SkyClubs so slow? Slow to go up. Slow to go down. Doors open slowly. Doors close very slowly allowing for a never ending stream of people wanting to get on so you are then forced to watch the doors open and close slowly again.

Which city/clubs are you talking about? Some are slow, some are fast. Majority, if not all are airpprt owned and maintained.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
ATL’s are brutal. Especially in B.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by JB1000

Better question: "Why don't they have escalators?" I get it, many of the clubs were designed for a fraction of the traffic they see today, but even the (fairly) new ATL flagship B concourse doesn't have them which is extremely poor planning on DL's part. At least the DTW main club got it right (pmNW).
MSPeconomist and KenTarmac like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Better question: "Why don't they have escalators?" I get it, many of the clubs were designed for a fraction of the traffic they see today, but even the (fairly) new ATL flagship B concourse doesn't have them which is extremely poor planning on DL's part. At least the DTW main club got it right (pmNW).
I would guess space is the issue for most clubs.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:54 am

Possibly due to the expectation that most people will be transporting carry-on rollaways and want to give people ample time to get on and off?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I can't speak to the doors opening and closing, but the speed is because they are almost universally hydraulic elevators. These are much slower than pulley systems used in larger buildings. A pulley elevator would cost too much and also has less flexibility on where they can be installed (which can be problematic in airports since they are constantly being renovated) as it requires reinforced ceilings/roofs.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO the worst elevator was the one going to the T5 SC at LAX. The elevators to/from the tunnel connecting T5 and T6 were bad too.
BenA likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO the worst elevator was the one going to the T5 SC at LAX. The elevators to/from the tunnel connecting T5 and T6 were bad too.
It was always bad, but they improved it. Of course then they left T5 promptly!

The other bad one is the JFK T4. If you need to use it, it takes for ever to level out. You quickly go between floors, but then it takes a min of it slowly millimetre by millimetre leveling out.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Always interesting when posters post half a question. Which city or club?

Anyways, looks like some good answers already.

Personally, if only one level, I walk, even with my rollon bag. With all the drinking and eating crap, I need whatever little exercise I can get.
Zorak and pvn like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Cost reduction. By having you spend more time in the elevator, you're spending less time in the Club consuming resources (drinks/snacks).

I almost always just use the stairs, even if I have a roll-a-board. I hate waiting for the elevator and view taking the stairs as a little bit of exercise to at least minimally make up for my sitting for hours. I almost always walk between terminals at hubs even if there is a tram unless my connection is very tight.
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Always interesting when posters post half a question. Which city or club?

Anyways, looks like some good answers already.

Personally, if only one level, I walk, even with my rollon bag. With all the drinking and eating crap, I need whatever little exercise I can get.
Always take the stairs even with the bag even ATL B.
Makes me feel a tad better about having a cocktail or three.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:40 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I almost always take the stairs but the ATL B club staircase is (usually) more than I want to deal with.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I would guess space is the issue for most clubs.
For some of the old ones, sure, like I said, they weren't designed for this amount of traffic. But for the centerpoint B one, they could have designed them in. They had to make major structural changes to build that club, escalators would have been a big improvement to the "experience".
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It was always bad, but they improved it. Of course then they left T5 promptly!

The other bad one is the JFK T4. If you need to use it, it takes for ever to level out. You quickly go between floors, but then it takes a min of it slowly millimetre by millimetre leveling out.
I like to use the escalators in JFK T4.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.