Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I知 Giving Up Chasing Status With Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I知 Giving Up Chasing Status With Delta

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I'll echo RRDD's remarks. When DL made free upgrades to F or Comfort+ more rare (or more expensive, depending on one's willingness to buy) it decreased my utility in flying Delta. I can (and do) fly Delta less. I'll buy on other carriers,
Which if you are representative of the Medallion population, has made Delta's decisions THAT-MUCH-MORE valid. Revenues are fine.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Which if you are representative of the Medallion population, has made Delta's decisions THAT-MUCH-MORE valid. Revenues are fine.
My revenues are fine too. Paying $200 for a coach seat when you had a +80% chance of an upgrade made some sense, but paying $200 for a coach seat with a 20% chance of an upgrade doesn't make sense. That why I'm now flying the other guys and paying $100 (with no chance for an upgrade).
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by vincentharris
F is cheaper with FCM? I NEVER get the $69 upgrades anymore (or i never have actually). In fact ATL-MIA for me is pricing $479 each way for the FCM on an upcoming flight. (currently in the back in an exit row)

Just to set expectations, the same ATL-MIA flight if i just straight up bought F is running $282. With FCM plus the flight I bought already that same flight for me is ~$659 one way.

I assume the higher the medallion level the more expensive the FCM is? Its the only logic i can find.

I'm not talking about those in reservation upgrade offers, which are often not the the best deal. I'm talking about buying F to start. What used to be $2K r/t can now be had for $800. When the coach ticket on that route is $500, it's not such a bad deal, especially compared to what used to be.
readywhenyouare and Webogirl like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I'm not talking about those in reservation upgrade offers, which are often not the the best deal. I'm talking about buying F to start. What used to be $2K r/t can now be had for $800. When the coach ticket on that route is $500, it's not such a bad deal, especially compared to what used to be.
Delta got better at determining supply and demand. Want F, buy F....its definitely more affordable than it used to be. Rely on an upgrade, ....you may be disappointed. That's the way this is SUPPOSED to work.
jdrtravel, SeaHawg and Webogirl like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Delta got better at determining supply and demand. Want F, buy F....its definitely more affordable than it used to be. Rely on an upgrade, ....you may be disappointed. That's the way this is SUPPOSED to work.
Surely you jest! The notion that a publicly-traded company should be profitable and deliver value to their shareholders has many-a-Flyertalkers on here clutching their pearls and gnashing their teeth...

I like upgrades as much as the next guy, but when I want first, I buy first. It痴 very straightforward.
jdrtravel, TheHorta and Webogirl like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
And often much less than that on shorter flights. And if someone with no status does the math, buying F sometimes is a very good deal. By the time you pay for two checked bags roundtrip you can be very close to the FCM price. Add on the benefit or priory boarding, baggage handling, larger seat, and free drinks and you have pretty much come out ahead.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Enjoy life and save time. Status is overrated (written from a middle seat)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.