Search

Award travel slipping away

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL
Question Award travel slipping away

Hi all,

I started gaining lots of miles this year and was so close to redeeming them for a multi-city trip in June from NYC-LON and EDI to NYC. When I first looked it was 48K then it went to 50K but I was a few hundred miles short so I was waiting for my next billing cycle to post and now it ballooned up to 71K!! I've only been in the program a couple of years and rarely use my miles so I'm not very familiar with the fluctuation of miles. Is it just too early and I should relax? Will it go down? I know with airfares usually 3 months out is when prices are best but does the same hold true for using miles?

Last edited by merce42678; Dec 13, 2018 at 6:11 am
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by merce42678
Hi all,

I started gaining lots of miles this year and was so close to redeeming them for a multi-city trip in June from NYC-LON and EDI to NYC. When I first looked it was 48K then it went to 50K but I was a few hundred miles short so I was waiting for my next billing cycle to post and now it ballooned up to 60K!! I've only been in the program a couple of years and rarely use my miles so I'm not very familiar with the fluctuation of miles. Is it just too early and I should relax? I know with airfares usually 3 months out is when prices are best but does the same hold true for using miles?
Either right when becomes able to be booked or very close in. There's no flow like with paid tickets. Note this applies to DL metal only. Partners release at different times.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Is it likely to go down again?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's far from a rule that DL fares for tickets paid with money are lowest three months before the day of departure.
Often1 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Not really my question though.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's impossible for anyone to say. I'd guess it's unlikely to go down, but that's only a guess. They haven't actually gotten rid of the 50K roundtrip level on these routes, they just aren't currently available on the particular flights you are checking. Just so you know, these are not really that big of a change in mileage amounts for most people here. For business class tickets, the changes tend to be much, much larger. BOS and JFK enjoy discounted coach award redemptions to Europe. For the rest of the country, coach awards start at 30K each way or 60K roundtrip and most would not consider 71K a bad deal for summer when award pricing tends to be higher.

If you click on the Fare Rules link, you can get the individual pricing components and see how much each flight is contributing to the total award mileage amount. If you have date flexibility, you can then adjust the date with the higher mileage amount and see if you can find availability in the lower award buckets on a different date. There are still dates with 50K roundtrip availability on these routes, so it is still possible to come up with a 50K roundtrip award with the right dates. Generally speaking you are more likely to find availability at the lower award levels for flights with mid-week departure than departures around the weekend. I just looked at the fare rules for these awards and they have a Tue/Wed departure requirement, so they will in fact only be available with Tue/Wed departures. If you are desperate to save miles, you might want to consider a doing a train ride up to BOS where are awards are available from 42K roundtrip. If possible to route the return through JFK on some dates, so you might be able to get away with a one-way train ticket.

Finally, Delta has started creating Basic Economy award classes. While these are just on limited routes right now, it's probably safe to assume they will eventually get to international flights and the award prices for Main Cabin awards like the above will likely go up then.
merce42678 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 13, 2018 at 7:38 am
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by merce42678
Hi all,

I started gaining lots of miles this year and was so close to redeeming them for a multi-city trip in June from NYC-LON and EDI to NYC. When I first looked it was 48K then it went to 50K but I was a few hundred miles short so I was waiting for my next billing cycle to post and now it ballooned up to 71K!! I've only been in the program a couple of years and rarely use my miles so I'm not very familiar with the fluctuation of miles. Is it just too early and I should relax? Will it go down? I know with airfares usually 3 months out is when prices are best but does the same hold true for using miles?
Nobody can tell you whether it will go down again. I wouldn't count on it though, particularly to Europe in summer. If you don't have 71K miles anyway, then you don't really have a decision to make right now, do you, unless you are considering purchasing a cash ticket instead.

If you have flexible travel dates, you will be more likely to find something that meets your needs at a price you consider reasonable. If you are locked into exact dates and destinations, then you are at the mercy of DL's algorithms, which are unpredictable.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
You can also try clearing your cookies or checking via a different computer. I too found the # of award miles kept rising as I kept checking. Then, cleared my cookies and voila, rate was back where it was when I started. This is many years ago, so DL may have changed this, but doesn't hurt to try.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:37 pm

A huge advantage of DM or PM status with DL is I often lock in the flights I want and then check back every few days to see if they have gone down in the number of required miles. If so, I call in and get an adjustment at no charge. As long as you cancel award seats by T-72 you can do this as often as you wish.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Instead of the open jaw ticket are you able to fly back from London? That might help you get a better rate.
EarlVolFan likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Sometimes Delta has award sales, and then for a couple of days you can get really good deals, like 30-50K (or less) for an economy R/T across the Atlantic on specific routes. There was a Black Friday / Cyber Monday sale of that ilk for travel through Memorial Day, and then another one that just ended for travel through March. I do not know whether there will be another sale of that type and whether it is for the right destinations or time periods, but keep your eyes open for those. They often are very good deals.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 3MM, AMEX Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Take the train to Edinburgh from/to London. I did this last year and it was a nice, scenic ride.

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Instead of the open jaw ticket are you able to fly back from London? That might help you get a better rate.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I might look for a GLA-AMS-JFK or GLA-CDG-JFK routing before taking the train to London.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I might look for a GLA-AMS-JFK or GLA-CDG-JFK routing before taking the train to London.
Also would avoid the LHR luxury tax. Taking the train to LHR doesn't exempt you from it.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Also would avoid the LHR luxury tax. Taking the train to LHR doesn't exempt you from it.

OP appears to be booking in coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.