Wiki Posts
Search

New gate FIDS seems less than helpful

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
New gate FIDS seems less than helpful

Not sure if this is truly new, but I didn’t see it last week at MSP. Flying to Chicago today, I noticed a new format to the upgrade screens in the fare area. It looks to me that they’ve decided to stop showing the whole upgrade list, but rather to only show one person more than the number of seats available. In other words, with three F seats available, they showed four people waiting for the upgrade, instead of the 22 who were waiting.

See photos below:

Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:17 pm

So it's more helpful to know I am number 22 on the list?

Really?
bubbashow likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
So it's more helpful to know I am number 22 on the list?

Really?
Well, it is helpful to know where you stand, especially if you’re, say, number six or seven. Fundamentally, though, I just object to the notion that less information is better.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I noticed for just a moment today and didn't care for it but maybe that was just the new factor. When did they change the name of them to FIDS from GIDS?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hertz PC, National EE, Bonvoy TE, GE, CLEAR
Hopefully it stays available on the mobile app. The airport screens showing 3 pages of upgrade or standby list is just wasting time as it scrolls through the different pages.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
While it doesn't matter if I'm #12 or #22 if only 2 F seats are available, it's still good to see that I'm on the list--every once in a while my former company's TA would screw up and not request the upgrade. Also, I bet this adds work to GAs who will now have to answer non-app using elites who wonder where they are on the upgrade list.
DLdweeb likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:56 pm

The information in the app is more informative and quicker and easier to access anyhow, so I don't care as long as that info stays the same. The one thing I did notice about the new screen is that there is so little contrast between the font color and background, that it is very difficult to read. On monitors that are not finely tunes or for the color blind, it would be impossible.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I guess i would not care if they showed only the top 4 for 3 remaining seats, so long as they noted it like 1/22, 2/22, 3/22, 4/22 in order to show that there are in fact 22 people on the UGWL. If they just number it 1-2-3-4, they're going to start fielding a lot of questions about where numbers 5-22 sit on the list.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Are standbys still displayed the same? This is one area where the app, for now, is worthless as you cannot check your standby position using the app. At least, I have yet to find a way to check my standby position on the Delta app.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
I saw it at SLC yesterday and two things I hate. The color scheme is much harder to read than the old white on blue. Second is that those upgraded are listed by new seat assignment (1A smi/j, 1B doe/j), not previous place on list or alphabetically so you have to scan the whole thing to find if you are got upgraded.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by indufan
I noticed for just a moment today and didn't care for it but maybe that was just the new factor. When did they change the name of them to FIDS from GIDS?
They are still GIDS. FIDS are the monitors behind the gate agent/podium.
indufan likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by pearlberry
They are still GIDS. FIDS are the monitors behind the gate agent/podium.
Actually, FIDS are traditionally the screens that show all the arrivals and departures. GIDS are the screens at the gate. And RIDS are the Ramp Information Display Screens
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA PS, VX, Natl EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Paplover
I saw it at SLC yesterday and two things I hate. The color scheme is much harder to read than the old white on blue. Second is that those upgraded are listed by new seat assignment (1A smi/j, 1B doe/j), not previous place on list or alphabetically so you have to scan the whole thing to find if you are got upgraded.
Not sure if you noticed, but this has always been the case with the upgrade list on the app. Once seats are cleared, it shows them 1A 1C 1D 2B 2C 4D instead of the previously listed or alpha order.

The only reason I've noticed this over the past few years is that I always want to see if gate agents are lazy or if they make an effort (If 1A and 4B are open, lazy ones will put the person highest on the upgrade list in 1A and the second person on the list in 4B)
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Are standbys still displayed the same? This is one area where the app, for now, is worthless as you cannot check your standby position using the app. At least, I have yet to find a way to check my standby position on the Delta app.
This is possible in the app, at least in whatever version I'm using on Android. I click the "Upgrade/Standby List" button, then toggle over to the "Standby" tab and there it is. Been that way for quite a while AFAIK.

I'm only occasionally on standby, but I look at the SB list somewhat often if I'm just bored and/or want to see approx how full the flight is and how much of a chance there is that the empty middle next to me stays that way.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by inthecloud
Not sure if you noticed, but this has always been the case with the upgrade list on the app. Once seats are cleared, it shows them 1A 1C 1D 2B 2C 4D instead of the previously listed or alpha order.

The only reason I've noticed this over the past few years is that I always want to see if gate agents are lazy or if they make an effort (If 1A and 4B are open, lazy ones will put the person highest on the upgrade list in 1A and the second person on the list in 4B)
I sure wish there was a magic “put this passenger in their favorite seat” button, with a few profile settings. I like bulkhead aisles, you might like normal windows, and the current system could mean we’re both sad when the upgrade processor could have made better choices for everyone. Then, the agent could just click a magic upgrade button in order of the upgrade list and make everyone happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.