Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Print Wikipost

New Delta Boarding Process Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Silver
GA on SFO-ATL this morning called strollers before FC/DM. There weren’t any, so no biggie I guess.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Gerbs
Is the wording "traveling with car seats and strollers" new? This early boarding group numbered about 50 PHX-DTW yesterday but (despite the clear announcement) included many families without car seats, strollers or for that matter children under 5. Another vote for enforcement.
I have previously been shamed for saying this, told to mind my own business. However I find it really annoying, as someone with children myself, when someone pre boards on a technicality and brings along a family of 12 where clearly none of them actually require extra time and assistance. I get when a single parent with a baby and associated gear needs extra time to get settled. But seriously two able bodied parents with kids who can walk have no business boarding earlier than their assigned zone (not zone) and bringing along aunts, uncles, best friends et al.

Long story short I am glad they make the car seat and stroller distinction.
ND76, Gerbs, acrophobia and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
SFO-MSP 2556 this morning...

I left the SkyClub a bit late as I only have a laptop bag so had no need for bin space.

When I got to the gate, there was a long Sky Priority line, and they had not yet started boarding Main Cabin.

It appears they told anyone who agreed to gate check that they could board with Sky Priority, and a TON of people obliged.

The result was that I couldn't bypass main cabin, since they had all become eligible for Sky Priority.

Bin space is my usual issue, so I don't really care today, but if I had a larger bag with me, this would have been quite annoying.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I like the new boarding order, it rewards customers who pay for premium products.

I do not like that it is much harder to bypass the next boarding group if you want to go after your zone has been called., especially annoying when in 1st class cabin and you have to stand in line behind all the Main Cabin 2 people....
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by cfabar1
I like the new boarding order, it rewards customers who pay for premium products.

I do not like that it is much harder to bypass the next boarding group if you want to go after your zone has been called., especially annoying when in 1st class cabin and you have to stand in line behind all the Main Cabin 2 people....
I agree.

On my rebooked flight (I've now boarded two DL flights out of SFO today), they called MC1 just after I got in the SP line. But they never opened the other line, so MC1 rushed in behind me.

If I'd come 2 minutes later, I would have been stuck behind everyone.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by cfabar1

I wouldn't wait behind them, I'd find a way to front along a side or by the desk.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta 360/DM, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Avis PP
I don't stand behind anyone. I'm frequently late and go to the front of the already boarded/empty FC/DM line and the GA always halts boarding to allow me to come up and scan my boarding pass. I especially like when they've started mandatory gate checking bags, see that I'm in F and allow me to continue without checking my bag. Great customer service!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:41 pm

MSP-SFO. They had started MC1 before I arrived. But they hadn't opened the general boarding line, so I basically boarded at the end of MC1, because there was no way to bypass them.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I have a somewhat different take on this.
I just experienced the new boarding process at LAX for the first time last week.

To me it's a total loser because it gives C+ folks nothing they didn't have before, but for the very few PM's who are sitting in the main cabin, it's just annoying.
Also, since they started this, NO ONE mentions my name or thanks me for being a PM.
ND76 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wxman22
I have a somewhat different take on this.
I just experienced the new boarding process at LAX for the first time last week.

To me it's a total loser because it gives C+ folks nothing they didn't have before, but for the very few PM's who are sitting in the main cabin, it's just annoying.
Also, since they started this, NO ONE mentions my name or thanks me for being a PM.
The bolded is incorrect. As someone who sometimes pays for C+ this lets me have the dedicated overhead space I'm entitled to which previously was full from GM+ sitting in the back of the plane.

What exactly is annoying about boarding after 15-20 people instead of with 15-20 people, unless your intention is to steal dedicated overhead space? No one in this thread has been able to articulate this.
Marykatesmom likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
The bolded is incorrect. As someone who sometimes pays for C+ this lets me have the dedicated overhead space I'm entitled to which previously was full from GM+ sitting in the back of the plane.

What exactly is annoying about boarding after 15-20 people instead of with 15-20 people, unless your intention is to steal dedicated overhead space? No one in this thread has been able to articulate this.
I purchase C+ and agree.

They also need to install more pillars at more gates. Flew through ATL last week, I can't believe the GAs let the congestion completely block the terminal aisle. Pedestrian traffic was single file and weaving through people standing right in the middle of the aisle. It looked like absolutely everyone got out of their seats to form rings around the jetway door that was impossible to get to when your Zone was called. Boarding took forever.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL PM
Delta says, “As a result, Delta will increase the number of boarding groups to encourage fewer customers to line up in the gate area at any one time.”

I routinely fly SFO-TPA-SFO, usually through ATL, sometimes MSP/DTW. Have done SFO-MSP-TPA- and TPA-ATL-SFO since the new boarding process began and at no point did I see the slightest difference in the number of people lining up at the gate. I’m fine with this change, but if the point of it was to decrease the numbers of people lining up at the gate, it’s not working in any obvious way, at least in my small sample. And why would it? Why would boarding C+ before the rest of SKY and changing the nomenclature from zones to colors few people can actually see on their bp make any difference? The pillars work best, as long as there is room for them and PREM or whatever they’re calling it now isn’t marooned smack dab in the middle of a crowded little space with all the strollers in everyone's way.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Nice to see the GA actually enforcing the new boarding process this morning in LGA. A family of six with a stroller was hovering at the gate when pre-boarding started. The GA told them "babies and strollers board after first" and had them move out of the way.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So is a part of this that if you have F on one segment and C+ on another, you don't get F boarding priority for the whole trip like you used to?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rylan
So is a part of this that if you have F on one segment and C+ on another, you don't get F boarding priority for the whole trip like you used to?
That was never the case. If you only had FC on one segment and weren’t already a PM/GM or in C+, you would get Sky on your Y flight and I assume that this is still the case with the new boarding process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.