FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Print Wikipost

New Delta Boarding Process Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin

DL new boarding pillars at LAX. Note how Comfort + stays close to the old "Premium" pole, while Sky Priority is now on the side (behind Main 2 in the picture)

Narrow gate variant of the new boarding poles at LAX. No poles for Main 3 and Basic.

DL redcoat saw me posting and said that so far it is fine, but a few people have complained about seeing the word "Basic" on their boarding passes.
If so, then that is probably serving their purpose, since they created a fare class they don't want people to actually buy.

LAX is really Premium-heavy today for a Sunday, more so than most weekdays in the 6am hour as media and sponsors head to ATL for the SB.
So I guess Main Cabin 3 and Basic Economy don’t get a pillar?
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
So I guess Main Cabin 3 and Basic Economy don’t get a pillar?
No pillar for you ... Main 3 and Basic.
I asked the CS agent if those pillars are downstairs by the cargo hold? You know, so they could just gate check their rollerboards faster. That's when she laughed and pointed out that people don't like "Basic" on their BP's.
This whole thing seems like a work in progress.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
A report out of JFK T2 Saturday morning. JFK-PHX.

New boarding process still not great. Delta is using the new boarding zones but doesn’t matter one bit.
Gate lice still crowd and block the gate. Doesn’t have any effect on when people know to board.
Also no signage pillars in place to help organize people. I guess it takes time but I’m not impressed.

I was disappointed I had to excuse my way past many kettles to board with (paid) first class zone. And not one of them offered to carry this PM’s bag. Oh the humanity.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin

DL new boarding pillars at LAX. Note how Comfort + stays close to the old "Premium" pole, while Sky Priority is now on the side (behind Main 2 in the picture)

Narrow gate variant of the new boarding poles at LAX. No poles for Main 3 and Basic.

DL redcoat saw me posting and said that so far it is fine, but a few people have complained about seeing the word "Basic" on their boarding passes.
If so, then that is probably serving their purpose, since they created a fare class they don't want people to actually buy.

LAX is really Premium-heavy today for a Sunday, more so than most weekdays in the 6am hour as media and sponsors head to ATL for the SB.
It's funny that Delta and some other airlines are sensitive to calling second-class, aka economy-class or coach-class (whatever you find more offensive), for what it is and instead use "main cabin" yet don't do that with basic-economy. The whole point of basic-economy is to convince you not to buy it and instead pay a little more for economy-class.

These poles are just stupid. Most gatehouses aren't big enough for them.

I'm flying Cincinnati–Detroit today and there are over 30 passengers on the first-class upgrade list for a flight operated by a CRJ-900. So basically, half the aircraft will be boarding in the first three zones. Crazy.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I really don’t care, except for people with flip-flops and no socks. They should always board dead-last.
Except if she's cute.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I really don’t care, except for people with flip-flops and no socks. They should always board dead-last.
Who in the hell would wear socks with flip flops?
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by apodo77
Who in the hell would wear socks with flip flops?
Most of my flip flops have that toe thing so IDK how I could wear socks. Of course I'd never wear them on a plane either.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
New Boarding Zone Issues

FYI you might have to explain to ground staff at boarding that “DIAMnd” boarding is the same as “D1” (at least at contracted staff airports)

today a swissport employee in Europe at the gate tried to direct me to the general boarding line and then when boarding I went into the sky priority line and the lady asked what boarding zone and I said Diamond and she waved me through but the original lady I heard said to the this person “this is D1 diamond does not board until the end”

seems like DL forgot to tell contracted employees the new boarding zones. I wish they had left PREM/SKY/1/2/3/4 alone but oh well
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your BP should have said Skyteam Elite Plus on it. That is what allows you to board with the D1/J cabin. The whole point of that Skyteam level is so that these employees don't have to be trained on all the various status levels of the Skyteam partners. Went through both AMS and CPT twice the past weekend and in every case they boarded both D1/J together with Skyteam Elite Plus. It did say Zone 2 on my BP, but they all boarded 1 and 2 together at the same time. So what you really have is a case of an employee not following this Skyteam standard.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LBJ
Your BP should have said Skyteam Elite Plus on it. That is what allows you to board with the D1/J cabin. The whole point of that Skyteam level is so that these employees don't have to be trained on all the various status levels of the Skyteam partners. Went through both AMS and CPT twice the past weekend and in every case they boarded both D1/J together with Skyteam Elite Plus. It did say Zone 2 on my BP, but they all boarded 1 and 2 together at the same time. So what you really have is a case of an employee not following this Skyteam standard.
That is incorrect due to the new boarding zones DL came up with that debuted last week. DIAMnd is what prints now not PREM etc (my BP does say STE+ too)

If my boarding pass just said STE+ then that means PM and GM would board with D1 too

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-priority.html
MSPeconomist and samwise6222 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by vincentharris
FYI you might have to explain to ground staff at boarding that “DIAMnd” boarding is the same as “D1” (at least at contracted staff airports)

today a swissport employee in Europe at the gate tried to direct me to the general boarding line and then when boarding I went into the sky priority line and the lady asked what boarding zone and I said Diamond and she waved me through but the original lady I heard said to the this person “this is D1 diamond does not board until the end”

seems like DL forgot to tell contracted employees the new boarding zones. I wish they had left PREM/SKY/1/2/3/4 alone but oh well
Pretty unknowledgeable agent.....
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Yea... but what COLOR was your boarding pass?

LOL!
davetravels and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Yea... but what COLOR was your boarding pass?

LOL!
It was a colorful rainbow of primary and secondary colors, I used crayons to make it
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vincentharris
That is incorrect due to the new boarding zones DL came up with that debuted last week. DIAMnd is what prints now not PREM etc (my BP does say STE+ too)

If my boarding pass just said STE+ then that means PM and GM would board with D1 too

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-priority.html
That's not what I got in AMS for my DL AMS-DTW flight. But I suppose it was possibly due to being KL coded (or it's due to being AMS departure).

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 30, 2019 at 6:26 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LBJ
That's not what I got in AMS for my DL AMS-DTW flight. But I suppose it was possibly due to being KL coded (or it's due to being AMS departure).
Ahh that is probably why, my flight was a DL coded and operated flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.