New Delta Boarding Process Jan 2019

Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Yep - I must have looked in the wrong place. Thanks
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by The Situation
And which airports are those that have a 20-30 minute wait? I will be sure to check my bag whenever I go there to collect an extra 2500 skymiles
I’ve had bad luck at DFW. I think LGA once or twice as well.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL DM
Regarding this boarding order, what is the proper etiquette and DL policy for having family members board with the family member of the highest priority? (when on different PNRs).
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Not sure about official rules but etiquette, to me... It is reasonable to have a single tag along/+1 now and then when you board. Maybe. But when you say family that sounds like a whole group of people piggybacking on your status which is just rude.

If you love your family so much, sacrifice your boarding perks to stay back with them.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by marcworld
Not sure about official rules but etiquette, to me... It is reasonable to have a single tag along/+1 now and then when you board. Maybe. But when you say family that sounds like a whole group of people piggybacking on your status which is just rude.

If you love your family so much, sacrifice your boarding perks to stay back with them.
E X A C T L Y ... Reason why I fly Delta the least - not because Delta is a bad airline - because of the mindset of the Frequent Flyer Elite's "Do you know who I am" attitude.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by ASMan
E X A C T L Y ... Reason why I fly Delta the least - not because Delta is a bad airline - because of the mindset of the Frequent Flyer Elite's "Do you know who I am" attitude.
That is why I fly Delta the most, as they let your family board with you.
JB1000 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by ASMan
I fly a not insignificant amount and I can count on one hand, with fingers left over, the number of DYKWIA incidents I’ve witnessed in the last 36 months... regardless of airline.

Where the hell are you flying out of that you’re constantly exposed to such self-important people?
AeRoSpaceman and AttilatheFun like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The reason there isn't enough overhead space is because people refuse to use the underseat stowage.

Even people with two or three items will put them all overhead. You'd think women would want their purses easily accessible, but no. Now, if you only have one carry-on, OK. But few people do. If all the backpacks, purses, sacks, makeup cases, kids' toys, etc. were under the seats, there'd be plenty of room for everyone's roll-aboards overhead. FAs just don't want to police the boarding passengers because they know how ugly it would get.

I suppose if you charged for overhead space, but not underseat . . . I guess you'd have to have a brightly colored tag to go on all overhead luggage so they could easily be scanned for compliance. Maybe that would speed things up? Let all the passengers with paid overhead space board first, then the underseat stowage people could come after?

Sigh. I guess that would just result in people insisting that their gigantic hiking backpacks would somehow miraculously shrink to fit under the seat.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hotturnip
The reason there isn't enough overhead space is because people refuse to use the underseat stowage.

Even people with two or three items will put them all overhead. You'd think women would want their purses easily accessible, but no. Now, if you only have one carry-on, OK. But few people do. If all the backpacks, purses, sacks, makeup cases, kids' toys, etc. were under the seats, there'd be plenty of room for everyone's roll-aboards overhead. FAs just don't want to police the boarding passengers because they know how ugly it would get.

I suppose if you charged for overhead space, but not underseat . . . I guess you'd have to have a brightly colored tag to go on all overhead luggage so they could easily be scanned for compliance. Maybe that would speed things up? Let all the passengers with paid overhead space board first, then the underseat stowage people could come after?

Sigh. I guess that would just result in people insisting that their gigantic hiking backpacks would somehow miraculously shrink to fit under the seat.
I'd be much more inclined to keep a bag under my seat if the airlines didn't keep cramming seats closer and closer together.

I've noticed at some non-US airports check in staff will put a special tag on the "personal item" containing instructions that it must be stored under a seat. I just deposit it in the first trash can I see and stow it overhead, since in my experience, OHBs are rarely full on international flights.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by hotturnip
...I suppose if you charged for overhead space, but not underseat . . . ..
sure - sounds like a great idea.

But - paid 1st gets free space. They will be pink tags
DM and PM get free space, that will be chocolate brown tags
C+ will get avocado tags
Golds and Silver get chartreuse
etc
etc
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:30 pm

I wish there was a way you could just "gate check" your carry on bag like the regional airlines do...
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE
Originally Posted by Live4Miles
I wish there was a way you could just "gate check" your carry on bag like the regional airlines do...
On full flights they do. On the DTW-SFO flight that I've been doing regularly, they also offer to move you to boarding zone 1 if you volunteer to gate check a roller. Back when I was just Tupperware Medallion, I started bringing a carryon just so I could gate check it and get moved up to Zone 1. Finally made silver (then gold) and didn't have to play the game.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by eric_o
On full flights they do. On the DTW-SFO flight that I've been doing regularly, they also offer to move you to boarding zone 1 if you volunteer to gate check a roller. Back when I was just Tupperware Medallion, I started bringing a carryon just so I could gate check it and get moved up to Zone 1. Finally made silver (then gold) and didn't have to play the game.
When I say gate check I really meant "plane side check" (if that is the correct term??) where you get your bag back in the jetway when you get off the plane.
eric_o likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Live4Miles
When I say gate check I really meant "plane side check" (if that is the correct term??) where you get your bag back in the jetway when you get off the plane.
That would be a problem with full size jets. They would have to CARRY those bags up the stairs - which some know can take along time even where they have the elevators,etc.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by marcworld

So out of curiosity, is it rude for an elite that has status and thus access to preferred seats to book their entire party into the preferred seats? Of course DL limits C+ to only 1 companion so one can't really get more than that without paying for it. But if I had a group of 3, 4, or more all traveling under my name, would it be rude of me to book, say, the entire exit row if it's labeled as "preferred"?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.