Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Print Wikipost

New Delta Boarding Process Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Marketing at its best. Does the purple make you feel royal when thinking about the trip?
HohoGAP and TheHorta like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Marketing at its best. Does the purple make you feel royal when thinking about the trip?
It's certainly not luxury. My favorite is when Delta.com's marketing talks about luxury and chef-curated meals for flights in domestic first-class that don't even have meal service.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No, but it does give me flashbacks to the Nexium commercials.
BamaGirl likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by wrytoast
This is a gigantic, unmitigated "F*ck You" to PMs. As a 100k mile/yr PM, who often buys ridiculously expensive last minute coach tickets (when there's no C+ left), and who has no problem making the MQDs each year, if Delta's new line is going to be "WC+BC+," well, ok. I will. But not consistently on Delta.

Now, in particular, Southwest and JetBlue become more attractive options for my last minute tickets....

Why bother with a Platinum and Gold elite tier to your loyalty program if there's basically no benefit to it?
I don't get this complaint at all.

The only people boarding before you are those with first class and those with C+. You still board before all the rest of coach and even before lower tier skymembers.

You will never have a problem with overhead space. You will always get the seats you selected.

the new plan is nuts, but still, it does not say "F*ck you to Plats".

What am I missing here?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Medallion upgrades are given out for unsold F seats. Pax in F seats purchased with miles did not "bypass" the order, they purchased a product that the airline now does not have to give away for free.
Agreed, and when I wrote "bypass" I figured someone might nitpick it, so I said essentially bypass.

I don't dispute that if someone pays (miles or cash) that now has nothing to do with the actual upgrade order anymore. I was just suggesting that the likelihood of skymiles members with FO or non medallion status may be the most likely folks to pay for upgrades (especially to C+) with miles because they may have no other realistic use for them. Therefore as GM I feel this reduces my chance for upgrades because I want to save my miles. PM or higher will be ahead of me anyway, paid or not, so non issue there.

So I wasn't trying to claim someone could actually bypass the order. My point was depending on how much they start charging (in miles) for upgrades I feel this could be a much larger disadvantage to GM's than this boarding order change.

Since many are claiming that this boarding order is a slight against PM and GM, I am saying is if GM's are to be upset at something the upgrade with miles is more concerning than the boarding order.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by sdix
As I have said in other threads I went "free agent" this year instead of chasing Diamond as I have done in the past. I feel the status levels below Diamond have really lost their value. Because of this decision Delta "lost":

$12,000 - Wife and I on LF F Class to Europe
$4,000 - Me in C on KE to ICN
$12,000 - Me in C 3 trips to ICN on UA
$900 - Me SJC - EWR on UA (instead of DL out of SFO)

Do they care about almost $29,000?
If you are flying primarily international first class or business class, your mistake was concerning yourself with loyalty in the first place. You should have been focusing on price, product, and schedule from the start.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by third_wave
If you are flying primarily international first class or business class, your mistake was concerning yourself with loyalty in the first place. You should have been focusing on price, product, and schedule from the start.

In general I think you are right, but the one issue with this is that you loose what some might consider the most important benefit of elite status: priority customer service. I'm not aware of any airline that has found a way to offer elite phone line access, priority IRROPS handling, etc, to pax who are just on an F fare but don't have status.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
There is surely a value in being elite during IRROPS. As a former Plat for many years, I do miss that. Then again, my flight volume is way down.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Your "mistake" is thinking elite status is just about such tangible benefits - benefits one might be able to assign a $$$ figure based on airline valuation. However, elite status is about more than that too. For example, having Medallion status was what put me high enough on a standby to get 1 of 3 remaining seats on a flight I was rebooked to after arriving late into ATL due to weather in the Midwest - I might well have missed Christmas at home otherwise. Less than 2 years ago, when I was a DM for a year, the only reason I made my LAX-BNE connection to my VA flight due to severe weather delays out of SEA earlier in the day was because I got the Porsche transfer. Even as a PM, I can usually get through on a phone line rather quickly, even in IROPs and especially during IROPs, getting through more quickly means more options to choose from. You don't get that just be by being in F or J. If you don't have status and are trying to call, you're in the normal queue which is usually going to be a much longer wait to get through to a rep (if you're at the airport you can at least use the dedicated F/J/Elite counter). There's also the bending of the rules for elites that even those in F/J but not having status may not get.

Another huge factor for PMs and DMs at least in the award redeposit waiver, which one doesn't get just by booking an F/J ticket. Thanks to the waiver, I have made numerous changes to get better options after booking okay but not great options. If it weren't for the status, I wouldn't have the flexibility to play with such options and would have to decide between "booking something that's okay, but not ideal now or holding out for something better but risk getting nothing down the road". Thanks to the Medallion benefits I have, I don't have to decide. I can make changes to my heart's content.
manually likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Your "mistake" is thinking elite status is just about such tangible benefits - benefits one might be able to assign a $$$ figure based on airline valuation. However, elite status is about more than that too. For example, having Medallion status was what put me high enough on a standby to get 1 of 3 remaining seats on a flight I was rebooked to after arriving late into ATL due to weather in the Midwest - I might well have missed Christmas at home otherwise. Less than 2 years ago, when I was a DM for a year, the only reason I made my LAX-BNE connection to my VA flight due to severe weather delays out of SEA earlier in the day was because I got the Porsche transfer. Even as a PM, I can usually get through on a phone line rather quickly, even in IROPs and especially during IROPs, getting through more quickly means more options to choose from. You don't get that just be by being in F or J. If you don't have status and are trying to call, you're in the normal queue which is usually going to be a much longer wait to get through to a rep (if you're at the airport you can at least use the dedicated F/J/Elite counter). There's also the bending of the rules for elites that even those in F/J but not having status may not get.

Another huge factor for PMs and DMs at least in the award redeposit waiver, which one doesn't get just by booking an F/J ticket. Thanks to the waiver, I have made numerous changes to get better options after booking okay but not great options. If it weren't for the status, I wouldn't have the flexibility to play with such options and would have to decide between "booking something that's okay, but not ideal now or holding out for something better but risk getting nothing down the road". Thanks to the Medallion benefits I have, I don't have to decide. I can make changes to my heart's content.

+1

The benefits of PMs and DMs are pretty good.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I don't get this complaint at all.

the new plan is nuts, but still, it does not say "F*ck you to Plats".

What am I missing here?
Okay maybe unmitigated and gigantic are hyperbole, but as a Plat, it is a middle finger. However, it's not really a surprise. Ever since Diamonds were rolled out in 2010, you had an idea that this was the level Delta valued. In this um, new zoneless zoned boarding scheme, the only difference to me is that if I buy late, I will wind up no longer boarding in Sky.

But I certainly see that my loyalty is valued less, because my boarding is shunted down to after the new C+ boarding. At the same time, DM boarding hasn't changed. It's not monumental, but it's part of Medallion death by a thousand cuts, so this is a middle finger to PMs (and GMs). The unsurprising message is that we value monetizing C+ over your loyalty. We might wish it were otherwise, but it is what it is.

Now I always say here at FT that depending on your travel patterns, being Delta Silver can be a very good thing. Still, after 2010, GM was the new FO, just like in post-merger Marriott, Gold is the new Silver Elite. So PMs and GMs are still being shunted down the line, losing benefits or having them curtailed. This is just one more example. I'm starting to think I should ask for the one time exception for Diamond MQD waiver, instead of taking the rollover.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not see it as a slap to Plats. Boarding those folks in C+ insures they have room in the overhead, especially for those people that have bulkhead with no under seat storage. And, on top of that, most of those in C+ are DM and Plats anyways. Plats are the next to board... so how they being hurt?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Shut up and quit b****ing. I fly almost exclusively basic economy and there's no reason I should get Sky Priority boarding when I fly BE. Not sure this change will affect me much in that, but who cares when you get on. Stop trying to bring a damn checked bag as a carry on and the ONLY real issue goes away. You still get the same seat you paid for regardless.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
In general I think you are right, but the one issue with this is that you loose what some might consider the most important benefit of elite status: priority customer service. I'm not aware of any airline that has found a way to offer elite phone line access, priority IRROPS handling, etc, to pax who are just on an F fare but don't have status.
Agree. There was a time there were first class phone numbers but that was way, way back when.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:18 pm

Agree 100%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.