Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Print Wikipost

New Delta Boarding Process Jan 2019

Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
It's still the same number of people getting on the plane. Rearrange the order all you want, it's still going to take the same time whether there is one group or ten.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I like that C+ and Sky are now separated as this will help crowding at elite heavy stations such as DCA. However everything else about this boarding solution is dumb. The names are even more confusing that before, not sure how DL could have screwed that up. Main Cabin 1? Also why do DMs still get to board with FC? On a ATL-LAX flight with 24 FC seats, FC could have 60 people in line? Here is how the boarding proceeds should be with Pre-boards first, then FC, C+, all other elites in Y and Amex card holders, then three other groups for everyone else. Unless it is a medallion heavy flight on a Monday or Thursday, the majority of elites are probably already in C+ or FC so this will just remove one less zone and make the boarding process so much smother.
BamaGirl likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta
Here’s what makes the most sense for boarding order

1. Wheelchair or elderly
2. People with kids 2 years old and younger. If your kid can pull their own suitcase, walk without looking drunk, or is potty trained then you board with your zone according to ticket
3. Diamond Medallion / 360
4. Friends and family of Ed Bastian
5. First class purchase
6. Platinum Medallion
7. Comfort +
8. Amex Reserve
9. Amex Platinum
10. Gold and Silver Medallion (we all know this isn’t real status but we will throw them a bone)
11. Basic economy
12. Tickets bought through Expedia, etc

angra likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by vj_rama
I definitely do not feel bad for the "elite" frequent flyers.

I am fortunate to have a relatively normal job and am blessed to be able to travel in premium cabins with my family on the few vacations I get. It's disturbing to me how often people look shocked when we all sit down in first class section - usually because they think we are in the wrong place.

Note to all you angry "elite" flyers - chill out. It's not your plane and not your company. I know it sucks to wait a while to board a plane, but you'll just have to get used to it. The whole concept of rewarding people with "status" for flying coach all the time is silly. It actually goes to people's head and makes them crazy. If i fly a few times a year and am able to afford first, business, or even comfort plus, then tough luck. I pay more money than you so I get to board before you with your silly little medallion card.

Referring to other travellers as "gate lice" sums up how out of touch all of you are. We are all consumers of the same product. Those that pay more get treated better - bottom line.

Take your medallion status and shove it you know where.
I completely agree that people need to chill out, but a couple things to be mindful and aware of here. Travelling frequently (mostly for vacation like yourself) has taught me a lot about empathy and considering others' perspectives. Realize that first class ticket you bought, well, that ticket probably cost less (often quite a bit less) than many people flying in main cabin paid for their seats. Bragging that you paid more is 1) not accurate and 2) puts you on the same level as those "elites" you are complaining about. Second, gate lice describes people that huddle around the gate or concourse and make it impossible for others to pass by and get where they need to go. Crowding around in a fashion that prevents people from passing is inconsiderate of others and rude, and therefore is deserving of a term like gate lice. Hopefully I said this nicely enough as I have a feeling others will not be so kind when they begin piling on momentarily. Bottom line, please be considerate of others' plights and perspectives.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by JB1000
Here’s what makes the most sense for boarding order

1. Wheelchair or elderly
2. People with kids 2 years old and younger. If your kid can pull their own suitcase, walk without looking drunk, or is potty trained then you board with your zone according to ticket
3. Diamond Medallion / 360
4. Friends and family of Ed Bastian
5. First class purchase
6. Platinum Medallion
7. Comfort +
8. Amex Reserve
9. Amex Platinum
10. Gold and Silver Medallion (we all know this isn’t real status but we will throw them a bone)
11. Basic economy
12. Tickets bought through Expedia, etc
Sucks if you have a normal Main Cabin ticket purchased directly from Delta. I guess you're just not getting on the plane!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:20 pm

I actually don't mind this change. As a Plat who buys or is upgraded into D1 or F I can see where Plats might be upset but generally speaking I wonder how many Plats are not in C+ or F? Yes I know there's the last minute purchase but how many per flight I wonder? 1? 2?

To me the Priority line was getting completely out of hand with half the plane in it. This at least gives some sanity to the process.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by vj_rama
I definitely do not feel bad for the "elite" frequent flyers.

I am fortunate to have a relatively normal job and am blessed to be able to travel in premium cabins with my family on the few vacations I get. It's disturbing to me how often people look shocked when we all sit down in first class section - usually because they think we are in the wrong place.

Note to all you angry "elite" flyers - chill out. It's not your plane and not your company. I know it sucks to wait a while to board a plane, but you'll just have to get used to it. The whole concept of rewarding people with "status" for flying coach all the time is silly. It actually goes to people's head and makes them crazy. If i fly a few times a year and am able to afford first, business, or even comfort plus, then tough luck. I pay more money than you so I get to board before you with your silly little medallion card.

Referring to other travellers as "gate lice" sums up how out of touch all of you are. We are all consumers of the same product. Those that pay more get treated better - bottom line.

Take your medallion status and shove it you know where.
This reminds me of the jerk who did the survey to see how we got in First Class over him.

The very nice older woman next to me looked him in the eye, smiled and said "I'm old, I'm rich and I paid for this seat, any more questions" I just burst out laughing and the FA shoved "el jerko" back to the back

And NO it does NOT make sense for DM to trump First Class especially paid First Class or whatever Delta is calling it this year. LOL! That's a prime example of "DYKWIA" (Oh and what happens if your DM ticket had to be bought via corporate agent, does that put you back behind BE LOL!)

What would make most sense would be the model where those of you who paid a lot for the ticket on THAT flight got to board first and those of us who didn't boarded LAST. So if you are a DM on a Basic Economy sit there and whine LOL!

There's a lot DYKWIA in this thread

1. "How dare a vacation traveler assume that they know anything about travel"?
2. Assuming that "gate lice" does not refer to elite travelers (who in reality are often among the worst gate lice" LOL!) I have seen elite travelers practically body slam Grandma to be first on a plane. (I assume there's a prize for being first. No idea what it is)
3. "If I can't be first on the plane I am taking my toys and going home"
4. "If anyone without status boards in front of me I am taking my toys and going home" LOL!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by tonyrocks922
Having to board after the 20 people in C+ instead if with them is a "gigantic, unmitigated 'F*ck You'"?

Can you expand on this? I'm not seeing it.

But if he has to let 20 people on the plane in front of him then everything's horrid my bet is "I was using that space for my carryon" LOL!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I like that C+ and Sky are now separated as this will help crowding at elite heavy stations such as DCA. However everything else about this boarding solution is dumb. The names are even more confusing that before, not sure how DL could have screwed that up. Main Cabin 1? Also why do DMs still get to board with FC? On a ATL-LAX flight with 24 FC seats, FC could have 60 people in line? Here is how the boarding proceeds should be with Pre-boards first, then FC, C+, all other elites in Y and Amex card holders, then three other groups for everyone else. Unless it is a medallion heavy flight on a Monday or Thursday, the majority of elites are probably already in C+ or FC so this will just remove one less zone and make the boarding process so much smother.
As a DM,, and I don't mean this in a smart aleck why but in a genuinely curious matter: why does it matter you? You'll be ahead of the mess anyway (as will I for at least as long as DL continues military boarding). For PMs who are able to get C+ early (at booking) this will be a wash but this move to put PMs after C+ kinda slaps PMs in the face who weren't lucky enough to get C+ upgrade because of booking late - something that otherwise cost DL nothing (allowing PMs/GMs to board with Sky). In a subtle way, it's telling PMs that they mean less now.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
What would make most sense would be the model where those of you who paid a lot for the ticket on THAT flight got to board first and those of us who didn't boarded LAST. So if you are a DM on a Basic Economy sit there and whine LOL!
Careful... plenty of people pay more for Basic Economy tickets for a segment than people in Paid F. Might lead to some very surprised folks...
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
This reminds me of the jerk who did the survey to see how we got in First Class over him.

The very nice older woman next to me looked him in the eye, smiled and said "I'm old, I'm rich and I paid for this seat, any more questions" I just burst out laughing and the FA shoved "el jerko" back to the back

And NO it does NOT make sense for DM to trump First Class especially paid First Class or whatever Delta is calling it this year. LOL! That's a prime example of "DYKWIA" (Oh and what happens if your DM ticket had to be bought via corporate agent, does that put you back behind BE LOL!)

There's a lot DYKWIA in this thread

1. "How dare a vacation traveler assume that they know anything about travel"?
2. Assuming that "gate lice" does not refer to elite travelers (who in reality are often among the worst gate lice" LOL!) I have seen elite travelers practically body slam Grandma to be first on a plane. (I assume there's a prize for being first. No idea what it is)
3. "If I can't be first on the plane I am taking my toys and going home"
4. "If anyone without status boards in front of me I am taking my toys and going home" LOL!
DM's are not ahead of First Class, they will board together with them in the same boarding group which will just be called First Class instead of "PREM". Let's face it, there's no perfect system and DL somewhat boxed themselves in a corner by advertising "Zone 1" boarding for DL Amex cardholders. It probably won't make much difference in the end, but hopefully it will be less confusing to infrequent flyers who assume the "Zone 1" currently showing on their BP means they get to board first.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by AlastairGordon
The CNN story I saw said
"Beginning on January 23, 2019, the airline will ditch zone boarding in favor of a new -- and more complex -- process based on ticket type and color."
and I thought "that sounds a bit racist".
HA! I like to think of the people that print their BPs at home in grayscale ... which also brings up the question of the BP printers in the kiosks or at the desk - those aren't in color either.

"Is it time to board yet?"
"No, we are light gray. Right now they are boarding slightly lighter gray."
arunhn, wrp96, Seabilly and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by CLTRob

Personally, I like this new boarding! It should of happened long before now. Board with the class of service you purchase!
Logically, that might make sense.

BUT - how do you explain to casual flyers that Main Cabin 2 is NOT the 2nd group and they should not be crowding the gate. Or that Main Cabin 1 has many groups before them?

Don't get me started on this color thing. That is nuts. Am I plum or red of blue or.... And which comes first?

As to your idea of boarding by the ticket you purchase, why not just assign them a zone on their boarding pass?

Zone 1 - Boards First (first class, priority, military - whatever they want - does not matter, they are first)
Zone 2 - Boards Second
Zone 3 - Boards Third
Zone 4 - etc.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wrytoast
This is a gigantic, unmitigated "F*ck You" to PMs.

why bother with a Platinum... if there's basically no benefit to it?
Wow, so for you, the greatest benefit to PM is the boarding order? Not the $200 gift card, or miles, or RUC's, or bonus RDM's?
Talk about a tempest in a teapot...
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by azeckel
HA! I like to think of the people that print their BPs at home in grayscale ... which also brings up the question of the BP printers in the kiosks or at the desk - those aren't in color either.

"Is it time to board yet?"
"No, we are light gray. Right now they are boarding slightly lighter gray."
HAHAHAHA. Slightly lighter gray! Love this. I was thinking the same about this whole 'color coded boarding pass' scenario.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.