Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Print Wikipost

New Delta Boarding Process Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I thought DL was making great strides with their boarding pillars, which I find makes the process less hectic. Putting C+ above Sky is silly and will annoy PM and GM fliers. Already I see Sky people try to board with Premium because they have "Status" and think that's how it works.

Joe blow doesn't know the difference in boarding groups and using all of these names won't help. This boarding process looks like marketing and revenue management put their heads without including operations. Also, it goes without saying, if gate agents don't get serious about enforcing the process none of this matters.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:00 am

To give you some perspective...

AA premium economy boards in Group 4, with AA Gold (their version of DL Silver).

DL premium economy boards with DM!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:01 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Lyaec350
Too bad they didn't just go to a strictly numeric system that they could modify however they want down the road. To me this would make the most sense:

1- D1/FC
2- DM
3- C+
4- PM/GM
5- SM/Amex
6,7,8 - Main Cabin
9 - BE
That's pretty close to what AA has now, and I have to say, I noticed a huge change for the better (i.e. fewer people from later boarding groups crowding the boarding area) when AA went to the numerical system, at least for the FC and elite boarding groups.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by AdamATL
I hope they are not planning to get rid of the lanes where passengers can line up ahead of time. That seems to speed things up quite a bit. But, at most airports, things are already pretty cramped so I don't know where they plan to add the additional queue.
The pillars have nothing to do with speed (not sure why they would). It does help the customer experience as it reduces the "hey, are you in zone PREM/whatever or...?" awkwardness.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by Lyaec350
This clearly benefits non-status flyers who have purchased C+, and probably will incentivize more C+ upsells (I know if a non-status friend or family member were flying for a reason they wanted to make sure their roller bag stayed with them, I'd highly encourage buying up to C+).

I also wonder about doing away with numeric zones in the international sphere where non-English speakers may be very confused by "Comfort+", SkyPriority etc rather than a much more simple 1,2,3

Too bad they didn't just go to a strictly numeric system that they could modify however they want down the road. To me this would make the most sense:

Preboard (people with wheelchair attendant and ONE family member only, not announced overhead but instead discreetly done at gate since they wheelchair attendants are there anyway, but this is a whole separate issue)
Parents (max 2)+ children WITH STROLLERS
Military (active duty, in uniform)
1- D1/FC
2- DM
3- C+
4- PM/GM
5- SM/Amex
6,7,8 - Main Cabin
9 - BE

Also, it seems one of the worst contributors to gate lice and congestion are the extended announcements and prolonged preboarding process. So often the scripted announcements are mumbled in to a low quality overhead paging system which half the gate area can't hear so everyone stands up to see what's happening.

As someone else pointed out AMEX would have a harder time selling Delta cards when you can get Zone 5 boarding
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Good old Delta. They have all but done nothing to what is actually changed in the order of boarding outside of creating some new boarding groups and then color coordinating it(sort of as others pointed out). I think this is more a marketing scheme by Delta to push more revenue. I foresee a 'don't want to board later' book different class/upgrade so you don't have to pay to check your bags.

This definitely feels like marketing showing their worth and someone pushing this up the ladder.

Also the bottom line reality here is Delta doesn't enforce any of this so it doesn't truly matter at all. They rarely enforce number of carry-on bags. They never enforce boarding zones unless someone comes up and asks 'do I board now?'
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
They want to make people feel special - and to encourage their buy-ups to First and Comfort+ so they can feel special.
The upshot being that the numerical majority of customers, standing there forlornly waiting for their number to come up, feel not special or even barely tolerated, as the main business motive for this nonsense is to induce envy and insecurity and encourage buy-ups.

Honestly, this is the best advertisement ever for the Southwest A-B-C process. Fast, egalitarian, friendly, efficient, not designed to make people feel bad.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
With how absurd the whole boarding process has gotten these day, unless I'm in F, if its a nonstop flight I just board at the very end and gate-check my bag. In most places, by the time I deboard and hit the head, my bags beat me to the baggage claim. Then again about 50% of my flights are on CRJ/CR7/CR9 with pink-tags so it doesn't matter either.

The Monday morning / Thursday afternoon full 737/757/A320 flights are just a whole lot of stupid these days with the boarding process, gate lice, and that 75% of the plane boards in SKY.
emrdoc likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:16 am

Most people cheat today and will continue to cheat with the new system. And since the vast majority of GAs don't enforce the boarding zones, nothing will really change.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Just because they refuse to call it Zone 1, Zone 2, etc. does not make it zone-less boarding. This is still zone boarding so claiming "Gone are the days of zone boarding" is false IMO.

-RM
ijgordon and amanuensis like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by DTWflyer
With how absurd the whole boarding process has gotten these day, unless I'm in F, if its a nonstop flight I just board at the very end and gate-check my bag. In most places, by the time I deboard and hit the head, my bags beat me to the baggage claim. Then again about 50% of my flights are on CRJ/CR7/CR9 with pink-tags so it doesn't matter either.
I've started using that approach as well. Even if I have to wait a few minutes for the bag on the carousel, it's so much less stress than worrying about bin space.

I always find it a little weird how people clamor to board first on regional jets. It's like you want to spend an extra 15-20 minutes sitting in a cramped seat instead of in the gate area? WHY?? I'm always the last person on a regional, since there is no benefit to boarding first. People have been so programmed to value boarding first as some sort of perk they just don't think about it.
OHDL1, emrdoc and Monoboy like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
AA has the best boarding process of all domestics, by far IMO. It's about the only thing I like about them, lol...

The thing I like is that there's rarely congestion and I think that's because AA limits pre-boarding announcements. Their GAs are rarely on the mic telling passengers how the boarding process will work. They don't make pre-board announcements either - passengers that require pre-boarding make themselves known during ticketing or check-in and are called by name to pre-board. You rarely see the ridiculous congestion that is standard during DL boarding.

As soon as DL GAs start telling passengers how the boarding process will work you can literally watch the stampede begin.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
This is why I try to avoid Monday morning / Thursday afternoon flights. If business trips start on Monday morning, I fly out on Saturday or Sunday. Better yet, start meetings on Tuesday or Wednesday morning and fly out Monday/Tuesday night. Try to fly back Friday mornings or afternoons.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by manually
As someone else pointed out AMEX would have a harder time selling Delta cards when you can get Zone 5 boarding
Not really, because Citi is doing fine with AA credit cards and that's "Zone 5".
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
This change will do little to aleviate the “Gate Lice” issue. The biggest cause of Gate Lice has always been the previous Zone 1, which is now the new Zone 5/ Main Cabin 1. Most elites who complain about the Gate Lice issue are already onboard (obviously) by that point, so they don’t realize how much of the issue is caused by that group in particular.

And the reason is obvious, the Group 1 (now 5) is way too big. You have all the FOs, who are least likely to get upgrades and board in F/C+, plus all the Amex holders, plus the Amex companions. The group is simply way too big.

The obvious solution, as AA does, is to:
-first board PMs/GMs, then
-board remaining C+/FOs, then
-Amex and companions.

This does two key things. First it separates the group that is too big (former Zone 1) into two smaller parts FOs and Amex) which would help tremendously with the Gate Lice. Also, it allows basically two groups where you have a mix of C+/Y, allowing for a faster board. Alas, Delta had a chance and didn’t get it done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.