New Delta Boarding Process Jan 2019

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 24, 19, 4:41 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: serfty
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 30, 19, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post
FYI you might have to explain to ground staff at boarding that “DIAMnd” boarding is the same as “D1” (at least at contracted staff airports)

today a swissport employee in Europe at the gate tried to direct me to the general boarding line and then when boarding I went into the sky priority line and the lady asked what boarding zone and I said Diamond and she waved me through but the original lady I heard said to the this person “this is D1 diamond does not board until the end”

seems like DL forgot to tell contracted employees the new boarding zones. I wish they had left PREM/SKY/1/2/3/4 alone but oh well

agree, if it aint broke dont fix. Or at least dont make it worse!
Old Jan 30, 19, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At HND about ten days ago, they had a bunch of posts scattered around the gatehouse apparently randomly with long lines (so that you couldn't easily see the posts) and confused employees. As a DM in D1, I was initially directed to the zone for PS, and then SkyPriority. However, the had two distinct lines for SkyPriority: one for D1 and DM and a second line just to the left but using the same post that was for GM, PM, etc. Of course I was first told to go to the wrong line. One of the employees organizing the lines was also asking the security questions about whether the passenger had control of bags since check in or (this is a new one for me) had left the airport after checking in.All of those SkyPriority signs looked exactly as before, but the numbered zones seemed to go to higher numbers, so I think they were trying to do a mixture of the old and new procedures. My boarding pass said zone PREM.
Old Jan 30, 19, 10:52 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
Yea... but what COLOR was your boarding pass?

LOL!
I know this is a joke, but it really might be a good idea.

If they use colors they avoid the issue with people who think that they belong in a higher group. Some will presume their medallion status allows them to board with diamonds. Or that C+ boards with the front cabin.

But RED is RED.

Now, this would work bad for me as I always try to lice may way in with the DMs :
Old Jan 30, 19, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Many of us do OLCI and print the boarding pass on a black and white printer. Should we start traveling with colored markers to get the boarding pass right? Or must we pay our hotels several dollars per page for the privilege of printing the boarding pass in color?

BTW, AFAIK most or all DL airport kiosks and agents don't currently have the ability to print in color. It would be an added cost.
Old Jan 30, 19, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Many of us do OLCI and print the boarding pass on a black and white printer. Should we start traveling with colored markers to get the boarding pass right? Or must we pay our hotels several dollars per page for the privilege of printing the boarding pass in color?

BTW, AFAIK most or all DL airport kiosks and agents don't currently have the ability to print in color. It would be an added cost.
They can name by the colors just as they name them by whatever now. Actually printing in the color would be nice, but not needed.

It would also help if whatever they name the zones by, they show the current boarding zone at all times on the GIDs.
Old Jan 30, 19, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex UA 1K & AA EXP
Originally Posted by exwannabe View Post
I know this is a joke, but it really might be a good idea.

If they use colors they avoid the issue with people who think that they belong in a higher group. Some will presume their medallion status allows them to board with diamonds. Or that C+ boards with the front cabin.

But RED is RED.

Now, this would work bad for me as I always try to lice may way in with the DMs :
It would probably not be cost effective for DL to print in color, although it certainly would be helpful
Old Feb 3, 19, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
My first time at an airport with pillars and signage for the new boarding system was yesterday at New York–LGA.

It was a slow day and only 3 of the 12 first-class seats were occupied. I was alone in the first-class/diamond section. The 2 other passengers in first-class were standing in Sky Priority. There were a bunch of confused looks from people in Sky Priority and comfort-plus as to where they should stand. Plus, it's weird to have them stand and look at you. It also doesn't make sense to have the last boarding group (main cabin 2) closest to the gatehouse.

Thankfully, DTW doesn't have these pillars.

Old Feb 3, 19, 1:52 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
It also doesn't make sense to have the last boarding group (main cabin 2) closest to the gatehouse.
One reason might be to attempt to limit spillover into the concourse walkway area, but not sure how effective that will be in practice.
Old Feb 3, 19, 1:57 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I don't think anyone that thought about for more than 10 seconds would suggest printing in color. Long list of reasons why not.

It was a joke.

Meanwhile.... even with a college degree I never learned anything about color order. Numbers - yes. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Delta of course has decided to confuse people by making Main Cabin 1 the 5th boarding group. LOL! Nothing funny here.
ryw likes this.
Old Feb 3, 19, 2:03 pm

In the 6 segments I've flown since the change, I can attest that anecdotally it seems a bit faster at ATL, while non-hubs with no new pillars seem about the same. My only experience thus far has been through BWI-ATL-DAL.
Old Feb 3, 19, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
This just doesn't work from a cultural standpoint. Americans aren't culturally inclined to stand in neat, orderly lines. It works at Tokyo–Narita, where Delta has had a similar system for years, because of Japanese culture.
Old Feb 3, 19, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
This just doesn't work from a cultural standpoint. Americans aren't culturally inclined to stand in neat, orderly lines. It works at Tokyo–Narita, where Delta has had a similar system for years, because of Japanese culture.
What are you talking about? I don't think they technically added any pillars - they basically turned the SkyPriority pillar into Comfort+, Zone 1 into Sky, and Zone 2 into Zone 1, and Zone 3 into Zone 2. Or are you talking about the people in Zone 3 and Zone 4 not knowing where to go? Agree that could be a problem, but there's usually so few people in Zone 3 and Zone 4 that I don't think it really matters (unless you're on a leisure heavy route).

edit: realize now you mean that you haven't experienced pillars before.. you can't seriously prefer the old system to the pillars, can you? The pillars make boarding so much easier than the old way. The old way meant 80%+ of the plane going through the SKY lane so if you're PREM you're basically trying to swim through people unsure whether they're PREM, SKY, or Zone 1. Terrible experience.
Old Feb 3, 19, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Ritz PP, Hertz PC
Of all things, a very surprising boarding process in MSN today for MSN>ATL . Normally a ton of congestion at small-ish gate in small-ish airport. The GA's made announcement of order and to not congest. I was finishing a call so despite getting the DM upgrade, boarded at end of Sky Priority. It was easy to get to scanner and there was no line or congestion. So far, I'm a fan. I've been on this flight a ton the past 5 years and have never boarded this easily.
Old Feb 3, 19, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
What are you talking about? I don't think they technically added any pillars - they basically turned the SkyPriority pillar into Comfort+, Zone 1 into Sky, and Zone 2 into Zone 1, and Zone 3 into Zone 2. Or are you talking about the people in Zone 3 and Zone 4 not knowing where to go? Agree that could be a problem, but there's usually so few people in Zone 3 and Zone 4 that I don't think it really matters (unless you're on a leisure heavy route).

edit: realize now you mean that you haven't experienced pillars before.. you can't seriously prefer the old system to the pillars, can you? The pillars make boarding so much easier than the old way. The old way meant 80%+ of the plane going through the SKY lane so if you're PREM you're basically trying to swim through people unsure whether they're PREM, SKY, or Zone 1. Terrible experience.
Americans cheat. They skip lines. They don't follow signage or instructions. There isn't an honor system or cultural shame to following etiquette and rules. We applaud cheaters and scammers. The Japanese don't. Delta has long used staffer with handheld signs for this type of boarding system at Tokyo-Narita. This new boarding system is clearly derived from what has been used in Japan.

If it works great, but it's a mess not having the pillars arranged chronologically in numerical order.
Old Feb 3, 19, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Americans cheat. They skip lines. They don't follow signage or instructions. There isn't an honor system or cultural shame to following etiquette and rules. We applaud cheaters and scammers. The Japanese don't. Delta has long used staffer with handheld signs for this type of boarding system at Tokyo-Narita. This new boarding system is clearly derived from what has been used in Japan.

If it works great, but it's a mess not having the pillars arranged chronologically in numerical order.
Are you critiquing the pillars, or the fact that the they name the boarding zones things other than numbers? I agree that an all-number system would be best, but the name thing isn't too bad.

If you are criticizing the pillars, you are are insane. The pillars are a massive, massive improvement over the old "two lane" system. I have not yet seen a cogent argument that explains how the old system was better.

Also, your critique on culture is a bit off. Americans may not be quite as great of queue-ers as the Japanese or British, but they are definitely in the top quartile of queuers globally. Sure, we're no Singapore, Canada, Japan, or so on - but we're not bad compared to many countries.
Marykatesmom and ryw like this.

Last edited by ethernal; Feb 3, 19 at 4:39 pm

Search this Thread