Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Print Wikipost

New Delta Boarding Process Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by troyintn
In ATL similar also, overall I see no difference and think it is more an enforcement issue then anything else.
Enforcement is key. There are still many people claiming to have special needs or whatever to pre-board.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
LAX has the new "redecorated" boarding zone pillars at the gates.

It still looks strange that anything with the word "Priority" in the name is ranked 4th out of 8.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:25 am

Technology is a beautiful thing, especially when applied appropriately. In this case, the scanner should honk when someone presents their boarding pass out of order just as it does for wrong flight leg, exit row etc. One could hypothesize that absent the honk, Delta isn’t serious about boarding order and this is more about recognition etc then anything else.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I really don’t care, except for people with flip-flops and no socks. They should always board dead-last.
novi408 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:11 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
In SJC on Thursday evening, for an E175 flight to LAX, they called "Delta One" and then waited for around a minute after nobody came forward...

LAX and ATL had the new signage in place by Thursday. MSN and MSP have never had pillars so nothing was visibly different.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
LAX has the new "redecorated" boarding zone pillars at the gates.

It still looks strange that anything with the word "Priority" in the name is ranked 4th out of 8.
So are you telling me that they where able to cram 8 boarding pillars at the LAX T3 Gates?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; HH Diamond; Avis Preferred plus
6 segments this week - all domestic and twice we had D1 boarding first...once for a 717 and once for a CRJ...was really looking forward to that 1 hour of lie flat sleep...
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I really don’t care, except for people with flip-flops and no socks. They should always board dead-last.
except people with flip flops AND socks. they are the worst worst
hockeyinsider and TheHorta like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

So are you telling me that they where able to cram 8 boarding pillars at the LAX T3 Gates?
Yeah, at every gate, they want to re-create the look of the lighted pillars on the road that leads into LAX

I landed at T2. It looks like the old PREMIUM pole now has multiple zones on it. I'll post a pic Sunday AM when I leave.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I would rather domestic first-class and international business-class boarded last, but that would require the flight attendants policing overhead bin space.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kpbadger

LAX and ATL had the new signage in place by Thursday. MSN and MSP have never had pillars so nothing was visibly different.
No new signage at Albuquerque ABQ, Salt Lake City SLC, Detroit DTW, or Cincinnati CVG.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I would rather domestic first-class and international business-class boarded last, but that would require the flight attendants policing overhead bin space.
When did they stop announcing "First class passengers may board at your leisure through the Sky Priority lane"? Seems like a long time ago. I liked that. Let me hang in Sky Club until the last minute then strut down the red carpet past 50 people on the other side of the ropes... smiling for all the paparazzi.

I bet we begin seeing some "Sky Priority" red carpets at the monthly Delta surplus sales in ATL soon. Now that Sky Priority is #4 out of 8 zones, the red carpet no longer seems appropriate.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:21 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
When did they stop announcing "First class passengers may board at your leisure through the Sky Priority lane"?
I heard a variation on it just this week in SEA. GA called for Zone 1 to "board through the general lane, leaving the Sky Priority Lane available for those customers"
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:00 am
Suspended

When did they stop announcing "First class passengers may board at your leisure through the Sky Priority lane"? Seems like a long time ago. I liked that. Let me hang in Sky Club until the last minute then strut down the red carpet past 50 people on the other side of the ropes... smiling for all the paparazzi.

I bet we begin seeing some "Sky Priority" red carpets at the monthly Delta surplus sales in ATL soon. Now that Sky Priority is #4 out of 8 zones, the red carpet no longer seems appropriate.
Part of the reason why they have first-class or business-class board first is because from a marketing standpoint they want passengers in economy class to see other passengers relaxed and enjoying spacious premium seats and maybe even drinking a beverage. It reminds those seated in the back of the experience they won't be getting. I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone -- usually a wife or girlfriend -- tell their boyfriend or husband that he should have bought seats up front. Of course, this only applies on aircraft in which economy-class passengers board through the premium section of the aircraft, whatever Delta calls it.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jan 27, 2019 at 1:31 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:59 am

DL new boarding pillars at LAX. Note how Comfort + stays close to the old "Premium" pole, while Sky Priority is now on the side (behind Main 2 in the picture)

Narrow gate variant of the new boarding poles at LAX. No poles for Main 3 and Basic.

DL redcoat saw me posting and said that so far it is fine, but a few people have complained about seeing the word "Basic" on their boarding passes.
If so, then that is probably serving their purpose, since they created a fare class they don't want people to actually buy.

LAX is really Premium-heavy today for a Sunday, more so than most weekdays in the 6am hour as media and sponsors head to ATL for the SB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.